New rifle project - Finished!

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Re: New rifle project

Postby Erud on Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:16 am

Ok, the stock is done. I mailed my check on Saturday afternoon, so I hope to have it here in the next week or so. Here are a few pics he sent to tide me over until it arrives.

Left side:

Right side:

And here's a close-up of the shadow line of the comb:

I'm pretty blown away by the level of craftsmanship he put into this thing. Details like the little "flair" at the back of the pistol grip stippling, and the matching flair on the left side above the trigger guard really impressed me. I wish I had the skills and time to do this sort of thing. It won't be here in time for me to shoot it at this weekend's match, but if I'm lucky and get enough time to get a solid zero on it, I will definitely bring it along to the Long Range Regional in Lodi, WI on May 3-4. We'll see.

Once I actually have it in hand, I will post some final pics of everything put together.

Thanks,
Erik

PS - Just for reference, here's a pic of my 1913 small bore rifle that this stock was based on, just so you can see what the whole idea behind this project was:
Last edited by Erud on Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Erud

Postby rottenit on Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:09 am

Lookin awesome!
m going to make some founding fathers quote up so it furthers a cause I believe in...

"Barak Obama is the beginning of the end of our country." - George Washington & Thomas Jefferson
rottenit

Postby FJ540 on Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:53 pm

Way cool!
FJ540

Postby shotz90s on Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:12 am

I'm picking my jaw up off the floor. That looks great! :D
shotz90s

Postby RAGGED on Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:19 am

Very very nice, I have always loved the Anschutz stocks as well, if it shoots as good as it looks your competitors will be in trouble!
RAGGED

Postby 45Badger on Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:30 am

Stunningly beautiful. Really, really nice work.
Live free, or die!
9mm = .45acp set on "stun"
Big Bullets At Moderate Speeds....Make Things Move
"You look like a tactical lumberjack"
Monschman is a thieving d-bag
.45 ACP - Because Shooting Twice Is Silly!
45Badger

Postby Erud on Tue May 06, 2014 7:23 pm

Well, it's all done. The stock arrived on Friday afternoon about an hour before I was leaving for the weekend, so not much time to do anything other than look it over. Finally got everything put together last night, and I am definitely pleased. It is absolutely beautiful. The cheekpiece adjustment wheel is very positive and the scalloping is such that the bolt can travel all of the way rearward even with it all the way up. I generally shoot with the cheek pretty high, so this is a plus. The cheekpiece is magnetic, so it's easy to pop off for cleaning or any other time the bolt needs to come out without having to crank it all the way up via the wheel. I was able to slung up with it a bit yesterday and today and it seems comfortable so far. I' have some lingering hand pain from the match this weekend, so it's kind of hard to get a good feel for it at the moment. There's always a bit of an adjustment period with a new rifle, and I think that I will end up setting this one up slightly differently than my other prone guns. I've got a month to do load development and other experimentation before the Long Range Regional Championship on June 7-8, so I will be soldiering on with it every evening until it feels like it's a part of me.

Anyways, here are a few final pics. I'm not much of a photographer, so these don't really do it justice:

Hopefully you enjoyed watching it come together, I know I did.

Erik
Erud

Postby gun_fan111 on Tue May 06, 2014 7:37 pm

Wow!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
Did you just buy that beautiful firearm, or are you trying to sell that piece of crap?
gun_fan111

Postby xd ED on Tue May 06, 2014 7:49 pm

That's pure class.

I'm curious about the adjustment hardware;
Is that from the stock maker?
Is it 'stock? / custom?
Again, very nice...
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Erud on Tue May 06, 2014 8:01 pm

xd ED wrote:That's pure class.

I'm curious about the adjustment hardware;
Is that from the stock maker?
Is it 'stock? / custom?
Again, very nice...

Thanks Ed. The adjustable cheekpiece comes with the stock. The actual hardware itself probably came from Master Class Stocks or McGee Stocks, as those 2 make most of this type of hardware used on this type of rifle. They both do a really nice job with the hardware, so most guys who make stocks like this just order these parts from one of the 2. No sense reinventing the wheel. The buttplate is made by a shooting buddy in Forest Lake who is also a talented machinist. He's made plates for most of my competition rifles, and they are a real step up from a regular Pachmayr or similar plate for this type of shooting. He's also he guy who put on the Highpower clinic that got me started with this disease.

8 years, 1 wife, and I shudder to think how many dollars ago...
Erud

Re: New rifle project - Finished!

Postby MaryB on Tue May 06, 2014 9:19 pm

Almost a steampunk look...
MaryB

Postby shooter115 on Tue May 06, 2014 9:36 pm

B...E...A...utiful. She came out spectacular.
shooter115

Postby Erud on Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:58 am

Just a quick follow-up on this.

I finally got to do some real shooting with this rifle over the weekend. Prior to this, I only had time for some dry-fire practice, and 11 live rounds a few weekends ago just to get a rough 600 yard zero. No time to do any load development, but those 11 seemed to shoot ok with no pressure issues or anything, so I just loaded more of the same for last weekend's match. Match was the 2014 Long Range Regional Championship, a 1000-point aggregate consisting of 5 20-shot strings at 1000 yards over the weekend. Did some math from the 600 yard zero and the first shot out of the gun was a 10. I made a few minor adjustments to sling, handstop and buttplate during and immediately after the first match, and from then on out it felt better than any other rifle I've shot. No pain, no excessive fatigue, and no fighting with it to maintain a good NPA. Ended up winning the match with a 980-35x.

It shoots as good as it looks.
Erud

Postby Geezer43 on Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:19 am

WOW -- very nice!!
"Thank God for guns, huh Jerry?" -- William Shatner on Boston Legal
"I'm a Politician, which means that I'm a cheat and a liar. When I'm not kissing babies, I'm stealing their lollipops." -- Red October
Geezer43

New rifle project - Finished!

Postby xd ED on Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:43 am

Erud wrote:Just a quick follow-up on this.

I finally got to do some real shooting with this rifle over the weekend. Prior to this, I only had time for some dry-fire practice, and 11 live rounds a few weekends ago just to get a rough 600 yard zero. No time to do any load development, but those 11 seemed to shoot ok with no pressure issues or anything, so I just loaded more of the same for last weekend's match. Match was the 2014 Long Range Regional Championship, a 1000-point aggregate consisting of 5 20-shot strings at 1000 yards over the weekend. Did some math from the 600 yard zero and the first shot out of the gun was a 10. I made a few minor adjustments to sling, handstop and buttplate during and immediately after the first match, and from then on out it felt better than any other rifle I've shot. No pain, no excessive fatigue, and no fighting with it to maintain a good NPA. Ended up winning the match with a 980-35x.

It shoots as good as it looks.

Erud wrote:
a 980-35x.

Takes more than a purdy rifle to do that;

Congrats on both.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

PreviousNext

Return to Long Guns