Mossberg 930 JM PRO SERIES 10 SHOT

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:54 pm

Decided to reduce my collection of bolt guns, and traded one of them towards this purchase today...

Mossberg 930 JM PRO SERIES 10 SHOT. 24" barrel. Nordic Component extension tube, and barrel clamp installed from the factory. Over-sized charging bolt handle, and bolt release button. Beveled magazine well. Fiber optic front sight. Came with three choke tubes. Also a shim kit similar to what the Benelli shotguns come with. Read some mixed reviews online about the gun, but I have yet to have an issue with a Mossberg shotgun I've owned. I've had more quality control issues with Remington... :shock:

Looking forward to shooting it, and maybe giving 3 gun a try next year.
"Amateurs train until they get it right... Professionals train until they get it wrong"
PHATSPEED7x

Postby deadarrow on Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:01 pm

That's my 3 gun shotgun. Made a few mods and it runs good. You won't be disappointed. Just keep the piston area clean. It's the Achilles heel of the gun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
deadarrow

Re: Mossberg 930 JM PRO SERIES 10 SHOT

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:44 pm

Just ran 35 rounds though it to get a feel for the gun. What a awesome shotgun. Was shooting Federal Top Shot #8 target loads, and the gun ran just fine. Think this is going to be a great gun.
"Amateurs train until they get it right... Professionals train until they get it wrong"
PHATSPEED7x

Postby Bessy on Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:53 pm

I had one for a few years, I ended up selling mine. It ran fine, but you need to keep it clean. I suggest you pull apart the gas system every 500 rounds, dissemble the piston completely, rings and all, and scrub them down with a wire brush. Whatever you do... DO NOT lubricate the piston assembly. GLHF!
In Soviet Russia program executes you!
Bessy

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:33 am

Ordered a Carlson's sporting clay extended choke tube for it last night in improved modified. Now I need to make a custom plug to make it only 2+1 so I could use it for hunting if I wanted too. But I'm sure I'll used the pump more for hunting. Unless I get lazy with the auto gun. Lol
PHATSPEED7x

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:05 pm

Well I got my Carlson's Choke Tubes Sporting Clays choke today, and I also got my Nordic Components mag extension tube 3/4" XL end cap.

Before...

After...

The gun looks better, but I'm sad to report I didn't gain any "usable" magazine tube capacity. I can tightly fit 10 rounds in the magazine tube, but it's so tight when you work the action it won't release the first shell. I even trimmed the spring to 12" past the end of the magazine tube like Nordic says to do with a new extension tube install. The gun still works with 9 rounds in the tube just fine. I got it on clearance from Midway USA for only $8.95 (normally $19.95). I'll keep it on the gun, and maybe try use it with another extension tube on another gun when I cross the bridge.
PHATSPEED7x

Postby Bessy on Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:17 pm

Not releasing the shell with 10 down might be an issue with your shell latch. I had to polish, and work on mine after I installed the nordic. I'd give it a shot I bet it will work with some elbow grease.
In Soviet Russia program executes you!
Bessy

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:51 am

We'll see. I still need to shoot this gun more and get a feel for it.
PHATSPEED7x

Postby igofast on Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:02 am

PHATSPEED7x wrote:Well I got my Carlson's Choke Tubes Sporting Clays choke today, and I also got my Nordic Components mag extension tube 3/4" XL end cap.

The gun looks better, but I'm sad to report I didn't gain any "usable" magazine tube capacity. I can tightly fit 10 rounds in the magazine tube, but it's so tight when you work the action it won't release the first shell. I even trimmed the spring to 12" past the end of the magazine tube like Nordic says to do with a new extension tube install. The gun still works with 9 rounds in the tube just fine. I got it on clearance from Midway USA for only $8.95 (normally $19.95). I'll keep it on the gun, and maybe try use it with another extension tube on another gun when I cross the bridge.

Yeah, you need the 1.5" XXL cap. Unfortunately sold out everywhere. The XL cap sure does match the barrel length nice though.
igofast

Postby deadarrow on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:04 am

Get a replacement mag spring from Brownells. They use a thinner diameter wire and it makes for easy loading. I cut my spring about 8 inches past the tube. As long as it loads the last round in the tube you are good to go. You can always go back to your original spring if you have to but give it a try. I have the plus 9 Nordic tube on mine and I can load 13 in the tube with positive loading with a full tube and the last round loads perfect. I also quad load my gun so the softer spring really helps.
deadarrow

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:52 pm

Well I gave the gun a good range session today. Ran over 200 rounds though it. Didn't have a single problem with the gun. The choke worked excellent with the little longer distance shots. Dusted several clay birds in a row. My buddy who hadn't been out shooting in a few years really enjoyed shooting the gun. It was a good day. But now I'm down to one box of 12ga. Going to have to purchase a case or two with the next paycheck.
PHATSPEED7x

Return to Long Guns