Scope Mount Opinions

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Scope Mount Opinions

Postby JohnGageMN on Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:03 am

Looking for opinions on a scope mount for my new Remington 700 SPS AAC-SD in .308. Going to be mounting a Vortex Viper PRS 4-16 X 50 FFP on it. I've been looking hard at these one piece Nightforce mounts:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/226829 ... tion-matte

Just wanted to see what, if any, experience anyone has had with them. I know Nightforce is generally top quality stuff, but I thought I'd inquire here before I order it up. Not sure which height to go with, but I'm planning to call Nightforce in the morning to see what they recommend.

Anyone have a better option for me, or am I barking up the right tree for once in my life. ;)
<= Helping save stupid people from themselves since 1997.

crbutler wrote:About this time frame I began to look on Glock owners as being incestuous relatives of Lucifer.
JohnGageMN

Re: Scope Mount Opinions

Postby hammAR on Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:04 am

You certainly couldn't do much better. Direct mount somewhat reduces the flexibility of "quick" changing scopes/rifles, but that is minor. Lots of folks will question aluminium vs. steel, but that is opinion with today’s materials. With a 50mm bell (1.968 in) I would expect that you would use the high set (1.125in).

Only recommendation is when you are done practicing, re-barrel that in 6.5 Creedmoor................... :cheers:
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby mmcnx2 on Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:44 am

Depends what you are using the rigle for. If you are shooting 100-200 yds anything over a standard Leupold is overkill. If you looking to go into the 500 yard range Burris XTR or Talley. Out past that I'd go with Mark 4's. Personally never was overly impressed by the NF stuff, its OK but seems over priced and lots of marketing from the tactical crowd. And yes I'm a steel ring guy.
mmcnx2

Postby JohnGageMN on Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:51 am

Although the majority of the time I'll be at either 100 yards or 200 meters, I'm building this rifle with 500+ yard capabilities in mind. Hence why I'm looking at a 20 MOA base. Those Burris rings are intriguing with the swappable inserts from concentric to 20 MOA, but the idea of more parts also gives me pause to think about more opportunity for something to loosen.

My #1 priority is to have a rock-solid mount so that I can be confident that glass will never move. I don't see myself swapping optics from this rifle to anything else I have, so I hadn't really looked at anything in a rail mounting base.

crbutler wrote:About this time frame I began to look on Glock owners as being incestuous relatives of Lucifer.
JohnGageMN

Postby Erud on Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:02 am

Personally, I'd much rather use a regular picatinny scope rail and scope rings for almost any application. You will have a lot more flexibility in the positioning of your scope, both in ring spacing, and eye relief. Eye relief can vary widely from one scope to another, so buying a mount that greatly limits placement can cause you to live with a less-than perfect head position and/or cheek weld. Not a good thing. A high-quality steel base like a Badger Ordnance will never let you down:

http://www.brownells.com/optics-mountin ... R+ORDNANCE

Torque it properly, and use Loctite, it won't be moving. Bed it to the receiver if you like. Buy a set of equal quality rings in the proper height and you will be set for life.

Also, don't worry, a .308 is good for plenty besides practice if you know how to shoot it.
Erud

Postby shooter115 on Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:29 am

On my 6BR target rifle I used a Ken Ferrell 15MOA base with Burris Signature Zee rings. I love the rings with the polymer inserts as you can virtually zero the scope with the rings, although it will takes a little extra effort. Another nice thing about them is you never have to worry about ring marks on your optics.
shooter115

Postby JohnGageMN on Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:28 am

Thanks for the advice everyone. Erud, especially your note about adjustment for eye relief. I suppose i took for granted that I'd be able to get the scope set right where I wanted it in an all-in-one unit.

I wound up going with a Nightforce X-Treme Duty 1 piece steel base with 20 MOA slope and the Nightforce X-Treme Duty steel rings. Nightforce advised that with that base the low rings would work even with a 50mm objective lens and sunshade.

http://nightforceoptics.com/accessories ... steel-base
http://nightforceoptics.com/accessories/steel-rings

I'm leaning toward bringing this in to a gunsmith to have the base bedded to the action just to get the absolute best possible results.

JohnGageMN

Postby speedy396 on Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:13 am

I'd save the money on bedding the scope rail to the action and put it towards ammo and a future barrel. The Nightforce rail and rings should good to go. Maybe bed if you decide to get the action trued. Just remember to use a little blue loctite.
speedy396

Postby JJ on Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:23 am

speedy396 wrote:I'd save the money on bedding the scope rail to the action and put it towards ammo and a future barrel. The Nightforce rail and rings should good to go. Maybe bed if you decide to get the action trued. Just remember to use a little blue loctite.

+1

If you are going to bed, make sure the rail is properly leveled and centered.. You would be amazed at how many actions have mounting holes that are poorly aligned with the bore. The better the rail is aligned, the more use you will get out of your optics adjustment range. You would be amazed at how many gunsmiths do not have any idea how to properly align a rail/mounts.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Return to Long Guns