Anybody here replaced a dust cover on an AR-15 ?

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Postby bnelson06 on Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:40 am

They are called Jesus clips for a reason. "Jesus where did that go" lol
bnelson06

Re: Anybody here replaced a dust cover on an AR-15 ?

Postby ROADGUY on Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:29 am

So do those come in magnum.
ROADGUY

Postby hammAR on Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:28 pm

andrewP wrote:
hammAR wrote:I suppose for the same reasons that they invented these

So do those tend to blow completely off on firing, or do they melt and leave a sticky mess in/on the flash hider?

(Edit: I don't even own an AR, so this question is pure curiosity; I am most certainly NOT looking to buy them.) :)

Ever use a condom............. :P
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby andrewP on Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:34 pm

hammAR wrote:
andrewP wrote:
hammAR wrote:I suppose for the same reasons that they invented these

So do those tend to blow completely off on firing, or do they melt and leave a sticky mess in/on the flash hider?

(Edit: I don't even own an AR, so this question is pure curiosity; I am most certainly NOT looking to buy them.) :)

Ever use a condom............. :P

So sticky mess then? :)
andrewP

Postby bluto on Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:31 am

hard h2o wrote:I do not understand the need for a dust cover on a consumer owned or even a law enforcement AR in a state such as MN.

I understand the need in a military situation in an arid climate, harsh environment or the like.

Even for a law enforcement AR that will spend the majority of it's time in an arms room rack or in a patrol car I do not see the need.

If it was needed would we not see issues with the myriad of semi-autos in use over the years such as the BAR, 10-22, M1 Garand, M14, mini-14...?

Why did Stoner fit the AR with a dust cover? Previous military arms went without.

Well to each their own and if you want dirt and crud in your gun then by all means go without.. :?

I like to avoid that personally and besides it looks great !

bluto

Postby hard h2o on Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:10 am

bluto wrote:Well to each their own and if you want dirt and crud in your gun then by all means go without.. :?

I like to avoid that personally and besides it looks great !

I avoid dirt and crud by keeping my gear out of the dirt and crud.

When I was in the military toting an M16A1 and low crawling through dirt and crud I could see the need. Shooting over sand bags at paper or at varmints and game I do not see the need. Easy enough to be careful and not drag a rifle through that now.
hard h2o

Postby OldmanFCSA on Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:59 am

i have AR-15's that may or may not have dust covers, in addition to receivers that may or may not have forward-assist devices.

I shoot clean ammo in clean conditions, so dust cover and forward-assist is not required.

I also clean my weapons after a shooting session so my Direct-impingement gas guns have never failed me. I see no need for a piston upper, which also has a detrimental effect on accuracy. (I tested my AR-10 with Pakistani ammo and ran over 300 rounds before having any issues due to not cleaning. This was very dirty ammo, which I did live-tumble to remove the sand-like grit covering the exterior of the cartridges upon removal from packing material.)

Y.M.M.V.
OldmanFCSA

Postby bluto on Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:41 am

To each their own guys, I have always done my shooting / range time in the middle of the woods and have had issues in the past w./ my first AR, a DPMS panther that didn't have a cover from the previous owner and had debris in there so ever since I have a cover on the ejection port.

Every person has their own idea of what they want to install on their firearm and I have no issue with that, I don't like to add 5 pounds of accessories on mine as I want to keep it light weight and some want a ton of crap on theirs.

Keep shooting straight boys and girls... 8-)
bluto

Postby hard h2o on Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:38 pm

bluto wrote:To each their own guys, I have always done my shooting / range time in the middle of the woods and have had issues in the past w./ my first AR, a DPMS panther that didn't have a cover from the previous owner and had debris in there so ever since I have a cover on the ejection port.

Every person has their own idea of what they want to install on their firearm and I have no issue with that, I don't like to add 5 pounds of accessories on mine as I want to keep it light weight and some want a ton of crap on theirs.

One of the reasons for the popularity of the AR platform is the customization that one can readily do. Most everything is bolt on for the most part. No need to see a gunsmith or send it in to add anything. Nice thing about that dustcover replacement. You can do the work yourself and bring her back to factory spec without resorting to boxing it up and sending it in.

I do not own an AR. It is on my list. I know guys who are not law enforcement nor do they have a job that requires them to have an uber-tactical firearm at the ready. They have every danged accessory hanging off the rails. I reserve the right to make fun of them much as I laugh at tricked out econoboxes with big fart cans for mufflers. Replacing a dust cover is fad short of the accessory whores that I have seen.

I have my idea of what I want in an AR. It is not short, not a pistol, not tactical...

Flat top with a scope. No back-up-irons. No vertical foregrip. FIxed buttstock. Free float barrel. DI system. No extra rails beyond what is needed to mount a scope. If the upper comes with forward assist or dust cover I will not remove them but it is not a feature I will seek out.

I carried the same M16A1 for 12 years. I do not recall needing the forward assist. Kept her clean and maintained and she served me well. Even on some 100 meter ranges.
hard h2o

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:13 pm

hard h2o wrote:
bluto wrote:To each their own guys, I have always done my shooting / range time in the middle of the woods and have had issues in the past w./ my first AR, a DPMS panther that didn't have a cover from the previous owner and had debris in there so ever since I have a cover on the ejection port.

One of the reasons for the popularity of the AR platform is the customization that one can readily do. Most everything is bolt on for the most part. No need to see a gunsmith or send it in to add anything. Nice thing about that dustcover replacement. You can do the work yourself and bring her back to factory spec without resorting to boxing it up and sending it in.

I do not own an AR. It is on my list. I know guys who are not law enforcement nor do they have a job that requires them to have an uber-tactical firearm at the ready. They have every danged accessory hanging off the rails. I reserve the right to make fun of them much as I laugh at tricked out econoboxes with big fart cans for mufflers. Replacing a dust cover is fad short of the accessory whores that I have seen.

I have my idea of what I want in an AR. It is not short, not a pistol, not tactical...

Flat top with a scope. No back-up-irons. No vertical foregrip. FIxed buttstock. Free float barrel. DI system. No extra rails beyond what is needed to mount a scope. If the upper comes with forward assist or dust cover I will not remove them but it is not a feature I will seek out.

I carried the same M16A1 for 12 years. I do not recall needing the forward assist. Kept her clean and maintained and she served me well. Even on some 100 meter ranges.

Well I would sure hope one could handle a 100 meters with and AR ;)

You state "an AR" as if one only needs one. I have found that they tend to breed.

After some of the Easter specials I got in my email, I find my self a grip screw and washer away from another. I just keep telling my wife how much money we are saving :P
Holland&Holland

Postby hard h2o on Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:06 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:Well I would sure hope one could handle a 100 meters with and AR ;)

You state "an AR" as if one only needs one. I have found that they tend to breed.

After some of the Easter specials I got in my email, I find my self a grip screw and washer away from another. I just keep telling my wife how much money we are saving :P

Sorry, I meant 1000 meters.

Contrary to a few gun guys here I do not purchase nor feel the need for a lot of redundant firearms. I have enough to outfit the family. Probably have a couple of shotguns and maybe some .22s that are redundant but not rifles. One AR would be good for me.
hard h2o

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:20 pm

2 is 1, 1 is none.
Holland&Holland

Postby 2in2out on Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:07 pm

In my day, we all collected various kinds of bats and wooden clubs. Then, some young people got into gun powder and it's been a free for all ever since.
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby shooter115 on Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:11 pm

hard h2o wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:Well I would sure hope one could handle a 100 meters with and AR ;)

Sorry, I meant 1000 meters.

Contrary to a few gun guys here I do not purchase nor feel the need for a lot of redundant firearms. I have enough to outfit the family. Probably have a couple of shotguns and maybe some .22s that are redundant but not rifles. One AR would be good for me.

I have a bunch of AR's and don't feel any of them are redundant. I have a 20" precision/varmint rifle. I have an 18" rifle I use for long range 3gun matches. I have a 16.5" lightweight rifle I use for short range (300 yard and in) 3gun matches. I have a 16" rifle that is dual purpose home defense/ limited class 3gun. I have a 16" basic, cheap, iron sight rifle for a truck gun and I have dedicated .22LR AR rifle for training and plinking.

Projects in the works under varying degrees of completion. .300 BLK pistol, 16" dedicated limited 3gun rig, wife's gun (because I won a purple stock), and my 4 year old son's rifle. Who has gotten a component every year for Christmas since he was born and someday, when I decide he's old enough, we'll be building him a rifle on Christmas morning.

That's ten .556 chassis AR's right there with zero redundancy IMHO. If I do find a gap, I've got plenty of lowers to fill it.....hah
shooter115

Previous

Return to Long Guns