Do all Hunting rig, $1000 budget.

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Re: Do all Hunting rig, $1000 budget.

Postby xd ED on Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:14 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:Remember the old holiday sports and grocery store on 694? They had liquor a gun store and grocery all under one roof plus a McDonald's if I remember right.

Holiday village in Fridley??
bought my 1st 2 guns there.... circa 1971 only time I was inside... I remember the place was huge
back then my neighborhood Holiday gas station could have outfitted a hunter, for the most part...certainly ammo, clothes, etc. don't recall firearms

ETA:

The place has it's own Facebook page....
https://www.facebook.com/Holiday487
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby minnesotatv on Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:15 am

Jack's My dog wrote:Oh boy, just went down the 6.5 creedmore rabbit hole. There seems to be a lot of pluses to this caliber, but it looks like double lung shot would be key on Elk, would plan on anything bigger than that with 6.5. Doesn't pass the Cub food test though. ;)

Kind of light for large animals. Especially at longer distances. The Guides I've talked to have seen too many
wounded animals run off and lost because of poor markmanship and light calibers. These days even .270Win
is discouraged by many for not enough killing power. After spending mucho bucks for a trip and guide, while
carrying a marginal caliber, would YOU have the discipline to pass up a marginal presentation - knowing full
well it might be the only one you get on that trip?
minnesotatv

Postby Ghost on Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:28 am

minnesotatv wrote:
Jack's My dog wrote:Oh boy, just went down the 6.5 creedmore rabbit hole. There seems to be a lot of pluses to this caliber, but it looks like double lung shot would be key on Elk, would plan on anything bigger than that with 6.5. Doesn't pass the Cub food test though. ;)

Kind of light for large animals. Especially at longer distances. The Guides I've talked to have seen too many
wounded animals run off and lost because of poor markmanship and light calibers. These days even .270Win
is discouraged by many for not enough killing power. After spending mucho bucks for a trip and guide, while
carrying a marginal caliber, would YOU have the discipline to pass up a marginal presentation - knowing full

https://www.huntinggearguy.com/general/6-5-creedmoor-vs-308-winchester/
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:37 am

minnesotatv wrote:

BS. A poor shot is a poor shot is a poor shot. If you can't put down an Elk with 6.5 then that shot is not going to put it down out of a .30.
Holland&Holland

Postby goalie on Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:20 am

People shooting big-assed moose in Europe disagree that a high-sectional density bullet of the 6.5 variety isn't good enough for elk.

Just say'n......
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby crbutler on Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:35 pm

European Moose are smaller than their North American cousins, usually around 1000-1100 lbs live weight. A little bigger than a big Rocky Mountain elk. Alaska Moose are listed as up to 1800 lbs.

The way they hunt them in Europe is also bit different, usually with hounds and a driven hunt. They have a lot fewer issues with recovering wounded game due to this, and you have a crew to get the Moose out of a big or whatever.

The other thing is the 6.5 was the standard military round for that area. Lots of them around. Nowadays more are using .308 than anything. The 6.5 swede's use was more about context than any "optimal size" for game. The European gun and hunting culture are quite different than here.

Did it kill a lot of Moose? Yes. Is it a good choice? That is an individuals decision based on the conditions you will be hunting in.
crbutler

Postby Jack's My dog on Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:30 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
minnesotatv wrote:

BS. A poor shot is a poor shot is a poor shot. If you can't put down an Elk with 6.5 then that shot is not going to put it down out of a .30.

I agree..bring enough gun. I also agree a poor shot is a poor shot. What I like in theory about the 6.5 Creedmoor is reduced recoil and less wind drift. From the research I have been doing 6.5 will double lung an elk broadside at 400 yds. If I was going out hunting tomorrow, I would not be taking shots that long, maybe someday after I prove to myself I can do it. The 6.5 seems like it would be a cool round to spend time stretching it out on the range, and not just a hunting tool.

One of the reasons these trips sound fun is glassing, stalking, and closing the distance, I have only ever stand hunted for deer in MN. The talk currently is making a go at pulling Wyoming antelope and Mule deer doe tags, and trying to hunt public land no guide. The 6.5 should be solid for both of mule deer and antelope, but so will the 308 and 30-06. Elk are probably going to be the biggest animal I will hunt, if I am lucky enough to hunt elk someday. I don't see myself hunting bear or moose. Any gun caliber I settle on will have limitations and I will need to learn them, and honor them out in the field.

On a side note-The Scheels in St Could had a few Tikka T3 combos that were in my budget and looked awfully tempting.

I appreciate all the responses, and the cub foods apocalypse drift has been very entertaining.
Jack's My dog

Postby ex-LT on Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:39 am

Jack's My dog wrote:On a side note-The Scheels in St Could had a few Tikka T3 combos that were in my budget and looked awfully tempting.

I'm sure I'm not the only one here who will tell you that you'd be a fool if you didn't go back and pick up one of thost Tikka combos. I have a T3 Lite in 7mm-08 that I got from Bud's Gun Shop for $500 (plus $20 transfer fee from Southwest Arms). It has the best trigger of any hunting rifle I've ever owned, and with the Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 that I put on it, it easily shoots 1" groups at 100 yds.
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby goalie on Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:23 am

My 308 T3 Lite shots as well as some custom rifles I've owned.

It bothered me at first that it is just a blocked-off long-action. Then I shot it.......

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
goalie

Postby OldmanFCSA on Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:36 pm

A local hunting group I shoot with goes to SW Colorado every year, and the guides there no longer allow anything less than a 300WSM with 180's. Last year, a new guy in group showed up with a 270WIN and he had to prove his ability to strike a small target out to 300 yards and a slightly larger target out to 500 yards, he did so they let him hunt. He took a bull elk but had to track for several miles. They found him only because a fresh snowfall and he was a loner. The bullet was found under the far hide thus no blood trail to be found. He was told not to come back unless he had more rifle, he has a Browning A-bolt 300WSM now as do 3 others in group also shoot 300WSM. Others have 300 Win Mag or 300 Weatherby Magnum.

Two of the three others have Tikka's. Those two have been worked locally until trigger pull was 2 pounds - they love it that way as they know it promotes better accuracy.

A bad shot is a bad shot is a bad shot = no matter what cartridge or firearm is used. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, = a better trigger time afield.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Ghost on Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:26 pm

OldmanFCSA wrote:A local hunting group I shoot with goes to SW Colorado every year, and the guides there no longer allow anything less than a 300WSM with 180's. Last year, a new guy in group showed up with a 270WIN and he had to prove his ability to strike a small target out to 300 yards and a slightly larger target out to 500 yards, he did so they let him hunt. He took a bull elk but had to track for several miles. They found him only because a fresh snowfall and he was a loner. The bullet was found under the far hide thus no blood trail to be found. He was told not to come back unless he had more rifle, he has a Browning A-bolt 300WSM now as do 3 others in group also shoot 300WSM. Others have 300 Win Mag or 300 Weatherby Magnum.

Two of the three others have Tikka's. Those two have been worked locally until trigger pull was 2 pounds - they love it that way as they know it promotes better accuracy.

A bad shot is a bad shot is a bad shot = no matter what cartridge or firearm is used. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, = a better trigger time afield.

Had a buddy move out to Colorado a couple years ago. Got his first bull elk last year. He took it unguided and hiked it all out by himself. He shot it with a bow.

Guessing it's advantageous for the guides if people use larger guns which allow longer shots and a little higher margin for shot placement error. They want their guests to be happy and it's generally easier/quicker to get 400 yards from an elk than it is to get 200 yards from one.
Ghost

Postby crbutler on Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:08 pm

I don't have huge experience with elk, only killed 3 and seen a dozen killed in person.

Used a .30-06 for two, and a .330 Dakota for the third.

I have seen them killed by other party members with .270, .30-06, 7 mag, .300 mag, and a .45-70.

The biggest rodeo was with the .300 mag.

The only reason that one would want a .300 magnum on elk is for further point blank range. If you want to have a hole through it for blood trail, chose a bullet that will do that. TSX, partition, or A frame. A hard cast lead bullet at modest velocity works too.

Any guide who insists on a "minimum" of .300 mag is commenting on how close he can get you and expects to point out an elk within 500 yards and say he gave you a shot. As in, guaranteed shot opportunity. If you don't take/make that shot, it's on you...
crbutler

Postby OldmanFCSA on Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:14 pm

Ghost wrote:
OldmanFCSA wrote:A local hunting group I shoot with goes to SW Colorado every year, and the guides there no longer allow anything less than a 300WSM with 180's. Last year, a new guy in group showed up with a 270WIN and he had to prove his ability to strike a small target out to 300 yards and a slightly larger target out to 500 yards, he did so they let him hunt. He took a bull elk but had to track for several miles. They found him only because a fresh snowfall and he was a loner. The bullet was found under the far hide thus no blood trail to be found. He was told not to come back unless he had more rifle, he has a Browning A-bolt 300WSM now as do 3 others in group also shoot 300WSM. Others have 300 Win Mag or 300 Weatherby Magnum.

Had a buddy move out to Colorado a couple years ago. Got his first bull elk last year. He took it unguided and hiked it all out by himself. He shot it with a bow.

Guessing it's advantageous for the guides if people use larger guns which allow longer shots and a little higher margin for shot placement error. They want their guests to be happy and it's generally easier/quicker to get 400 yards from an elk than it is to get 200 yards from one.

Having bow-hunted myself when younger, I have HIGH RESPECT for a good bow-hunter. Understand very well your point of guides wanting the hunters happy, especially with this group and the money they spend out there.

Two hunters use 180 grain Ballistic Tips, two use 180 or 200 grain AccuBond, The other two I don't know.
They regularly talk about shots being greater than 300 yards with some at 500+, so others opinions qualify here.
OldmanFCSA

Postby goalie on Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:39 am

If your guide days you need 300WSM to kill an elk, you need a new guide

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
goalie

Postby OldmanFCSA on Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:49 pm

Years ago, when I could hike in mountains easily, I used my Rem700 BDL 7mm Rem Mag with 160 grain SP to take my one and only elk. Gut shot first shot at 200 running, finished it off with shot at 250 thru shoulder and a mercy shot later. Such a Grand animal. I had not practiced running shots.

In later years I followed them thru the pine forest on a dirt bike. They move so easily thru the timber. Was hard to get the shot I wanted with my camera.
OldmanFCSA

PreviousNext

Return to Long Guns