Garands etc

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Garands etc

Postby phorvick on Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:30 am

All I know about the M1 Garand is that I want one.

In looking at the CMP models, it appears that (at least for the moment) they are taking orders again and that the "Service Grade" is $595.

http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/m1garand.htm

There is also a fellow that seems to have a good reputation selling refurbished models, his website is http://www.garandguy.com/issuegrade.htm and his models are in the $800-$900 or more range.

Other than cost, is one more "collectible" than another, or does it make no difference (but clearly there is a cost difference of $200-$300.)

I am tempted to order from the CMP even if it takes a great deal longer to get...but...am looking for suggestions as well...

Gun shows are really not an option as I would have no clue what to look for. The CMP and the private fellow both have excellent reputations of fair grading etc., so I would feel comfortable ordering from either.

Opinions? Advice?
Where did I leave the Tardis?
phorvick

Re: Garands etc

Postby hammAR on Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:01 am

IANAL...............As I understand it, if you want a purely "collectible" weapon, it must be in "original" condition to maintain value. A weapon that has been restored, repaired, reconditioned, or modified in any way will loose the perceived value and status of a "collectable". But then again what do I know, I don't collect them, I just shoot them ............. :D

I would suggest that you look at this place: http://oldguns.net/ or http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/

Last edited by hammAR on Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby phorvick on Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:11 am

hammAR wrote:IANAL...............As I understand it, if you want a purely "collectible" weapon, it must be in "original" condition to maintain value. A weapon that has been restored, repaired, reconditioned, or modified in any way will loose the perceived value and status of a "collectable". But then again what do I know, I don't collect them, I just shoot them ............. :D

I would suggest that you look at this place: http://oldguns.net/

No, I am not looking to get a collector grade rifle; I do want one with historical significance (and the Garand alone satisfies that)...but, I don't know if in the Garand Community that the CMP guns are considered "better" than something personally refurbished like the other fellow is selling.

For example, Springfield is selling new Garands...I assume functionally identical to its historical brothers. But, I don't want a new one...I want to at least fantasize about the history behind a gun even if there is not much as it is rebuilt etc.

So, what I am really looking at is advice from Garand'ers...CMP or "other". For example, let's fast forward 10 years. If I wanted to sell the gun, would there be any significant difference in value or perceived value if the gun is "from the CMP" or "from Fred's Rebuilding Service".
Where did I leave the Tardis?
phorvick

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:15 pm

I'm no M1 expert. Entire books have been written on the subtle differences on these rifles. Basically there are 4 different manufactures, Springfield Armory, Winchester, Harrington & Richardson and International Harvestor corp. Springfield made approximately 4 millon rifles while the other 3 manufactures produced about 1.5 million combined.

Most rifles were rebuilt after WW2 in a arsenal rebuilding program so finding a rifle with all of one manufactures parts is rare. Collect-ability is based on manufacture, year of manufacture, matching parts and numbers, arsenal rebuild marks and other factors.

For just a shooter your looking at how tight the part fit and barrel wear.

For my money, I'd go with the CMP and spend the $2-$300 you save on ammo.

For more information on M1 rifles Culvers Shooting Page M1 form
M1 Serial Number Dates
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby farmerj on Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:35 pm

Reference of field vs service grade.

This is how much of the Throat erosion &/or the muzzle erosion gage enters the barrel. Basiclly, how much it was shot or how fast it was shot. Field grade is more worn out than Service grade.

For what you are looking for, the service grade will be more the sufficient. and the Field grade would be a good fit as well. How much do you want your $100?

I have a Service Grade M1. Not sure if you have seen it. Cosmetically, either will be a crap shoot. It has more to do with gages and serviceability of the weapon.

Garand guy basiclly takes a CMP rifle and re-fits it. Not worth the money.

SA Inc, uses a foreign receiver and some USGI parts and is starting for a couple years now to use certain aftermarket parts.

My recomendation,

Get the field grade from CMP. You will get a cert of authenticity with anything from the CMP.

That and $5 will get you a coffee at Starbucks.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby goalie on Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:56 pm

Buy the CMP rifle, keep the papers, and it will be worth quite a bit more than you paid for it soon.

Sincerely,
Someone who bought an International Harvester Garand for 250 bucks from the DCM (before they changed to CMP)

;)
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby DeanC on Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:44 am

I recently acquired a field grade rifle before they raised the prices. Given the choice, I'd get the service grade. You can't make a field grade into a service grade for less than $100.

If you want a purty one, the CMP is cobbling together some select grade ones using new stocks and barrels. They are going to run about $900 each. I almost did this myself by buying a rack grade rifle and ordering the new parts from the CMP.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby tullibee on Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:15 am

I opted for a service grade and a couple cans of ammo... Now the waiting begins! I'll let you know what it looks/shoots like once it shows up (please allow 60 - 120 days...) I should have caved in several years back when they had nicer ones for about what service are now...
tullibee

Postby GregM on Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:00 pm

I just finished watching Band of Brothers for the first time. Now I gotta get me one of them Garands ...

In the meantime, I've ordered the books by Richard Winters and David Webster about Easy Company's battle across Europe.
FLEE IF YOU CAN. FIGHT IF YOU MUST.
GregM

Postby Aceq2jot on Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:01 pm

I have been talking to a Parent who comes to pick up his kid every day and he wants a Garand for sentimental reasons as he carried one in the early days of Vietnam, and he just retired from the U and wants to treat himself. So actually i have found this post very interesting and will pass on the info :D
Really i am your worst Nightmare, for i walk the night and the cover of darkness belongs to me :D

You cant make a pile of Dog shat smell like a rose a bunch of Roses, so why try ???
Aceq2jot

Postby BRIT_in_the_weeds on Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:32 am

I've got to become a citizen first, 8-) then I can apply to CMP.
Far better it is to dare mighty things...than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat
T.Roosevelt 1899

Just me and the designated settee, in the weeds.8-)
Thread-F.U master Brit Pei Ying
1/ICC ;-) .1/ICC II.;-)
BRIT_in_the_weeds

Postby Pred on Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:45 am

tullibee wrote:I opted for a service grade and a couple cans of ammo... Now the waiting begins! I'll let you know what it looks/shoots like once it shows up (please allow 60 - 120 days...) I should have caved in several years back when they had nicer ones for about what service are now...

Wondering if you have received your M1 yet? If not, it shouldn't be long now....
Pred

Postby Rem700 on Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:28 pm

I know nothing other then I ran across the add on THR.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=311320
“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.”
Thomas Jefferson

If your not behind our troops please stand infront of them.
Rem700

Woo - Hoo!

Postby tullibee on Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:54 am

Finally have an update to report. Garand showed up late last week. Made a run north to pick it up and give it a "quick clean and functional test". Overall condition is satisfactory - not too beat up, but enough dings to make you wonder about it's history. Butt plate screws are a little hacked and one of them is stuck and not quite tight (didn't want to force anything Saturday, so just tightened the other one a little bit to snug things up). Did a field strip and wiped it down a bit, then grabbed a clip and headed out into the blizzard for a test run.

Functioned flawlessly for all 8 rounds and made the requisite 'p-ting' sound as it spit out the clip. No idea on accuracy, I was just shooting at a log back in the woods - hoping to make it to Bill's North Thursday after work to check that... :)

Now, you might think (like I did) that shooting on a flat road with about 2" of fresh powder snow would make it easy to see where your brass lands! For the most part, it did... BUT! the 6 cases that landed sideways were easy to retrieve, along with the spent clip that didn't fly very far. The last two cases were a PITA! they had landed rim first and then rolled/bounced a little bit. Unfortunately, snow globs that had fallen off branches make surprisingly similar holes in the snow. Even though I had watched every case land, it still took me a good five minutes of sifting the snow by hand and foot to find the last two!

All in all, I'd say my CMP experience was pretty good, except that when they transferred my order from the paper to the computer, they must have missed one of the cans of ammo. I'm pretty sure I had ordered on can en bloc, and one loose - but they only sent the en bloc... guess I'll just have to order again! They had also teased me unmercilessly by sending the can of ammo soon after I originally ordered so that I could look at it and be reminded that I was still waiting on the rifle! Had to pick up some regular ammo at Cabela's for the range trip this week, as the CMP stuff has steel in the pointy end!

Next purchase planned is an M1 Carbine once they get them ready (and more ammo!)
tullibee

Postby DeanC on Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:11 am

Wait until you try to reload that ammo that came pre-loaded in the clips. :D

You're going to need a new toy.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Next

Return to Long Guns