Mossberg shotgun magazine removal

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Re: Mossberg shotgun magazine removal

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:42 am

OldmanFCSA wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:
BigBlue wrote:Check youtube. There's always someone out there showing you how to do anything you'd think of doing.

Hold my beer and watch this….

HEY - don't badmouth beer drinkers from Wisconsin (where the saying "Hold my beer and watch this…" originated). There was no beer involved when I jumped my dirtbike over a semi-truck at age 65 ............. a little tequilla yes, but no beer.

Ah tequila :D
Holland&Holland

Postby Shots-on-target on Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:36 am

Thanks for the additional advice.

I did call Mossberg - hairdryer / strap wrench was there recommendation.

I pushed the follower up into the tube, put my meat thermometer in the tube, heated with a a hairdryer for about 7 minutes - couldn’t get it hotter than 140 - and couldn’t loosen it. I used my propane torch and very slowly heated it (~ 5 mins) to 250 - no joy. Heated to 400 - no joy. I’m a little concerned about the aluminum receiver / paint (?) they put on it. I can go to 500 and see if that is the magic number. Anyone ever make it “too hot” and have issues? Any idea what temp it was at?

(I can only imagine the looks I would get if someone walked into my shop with a receiver in my vise, a meat thermometer sticking into it and a 2x4 clamped around the magazine!! :)
Shots-on-target

Mossberg shotgun magazine removal

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:01 am

I’ve never done this, but what about a more direct heat w/o a flame like soldering iron?

Btw, I assume you tried to unscrew after the parts cooled down right? Expansion from heat and all. Maybe toss is into a freezer for a few hours?
Last edited by gun_fan111v2 on Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gun_fan111v2

Postby 870TC on Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:50 pm

if its the original blue/black anodized receiver a propane torch wont bother it, not sure on any of the camo versions.
Even if it messed the finish up Brownells Alumahyde or krylon rattle can paint will fix it for cheap.
870TC

Postby Rowdy Roddy on Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:12 pm

If the receiver is aluminum and the tube is steel you might try freezing for a couple hours and then heating the receiver. The aluminum should expand faster then the steel.
Rowdy Roddy

Previous

Return to Long Guns