Magnum bolt action rifle thread.

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Re: Magnum bolt action rifle thread.

Postby crbutler on Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:56 pm

Yes. All three… actually, either of the ones he has and a small bore.

The seven will work on big bears, moose, bison with the right bullets.
crbutler

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:26 pm

Just get a bow and you are covered for everything.

Maybe an atlatl for the real big stuff like mastodons.
Holland&Holland

Postby smurfman on Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:22 pm

I have the Vangard but with a synthetic stock rather than wood. The rifle does have more recoil than the 308 Vangard but it wasn't objectionable. I found the factory loads I used to be more than adequate for accuracy (mostly Weatherby branded with 180 gr Interlocks) but it really shines with a max load of H4831 under a 180 gr Barnes TSX bullet. If I go elk hunting again it would be a toss up between that gun and the A-Bolt in 300 Win mag I've successfully used in the past.

I didn't really want a 300 Weatherby especially as it was sitting on the rack of a pawn shop for $450. What caused me to buy it was the 4-12x Cabela's Euro scope on it. It was a rebranded Meopta scope that ran for a bit more than the tag. I figured to keep the scope and flip the rifle to get me a scope for $100. Instead, I shot the rifle and decided to keep it for a while.

I've had two 7mm mags too, they didn't stay long as they offered nothing that couldn't be handled with the 300 I already owned. Their redeeming feature was being cheap with acceptable glass on them; which I kept when the rifles went to more appreciative homes. If I would have bought one of these first, I would have had no need for a 300 mag.

I'd second the suggestion of a 243 to round out the North American big game battery. I have a 6mm Remington which is the better but less popular cartridge. It works very well on deer sized game and I have taken a fair number of deer and pronghorns with it. With the plethora of controlled expansion bullets for it, the 243 is a good, all around deer rifle.
smurfman

Magnum bolt action rifle thread.

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:56 am

IMG_7924.jpg

Added a CVA Cascade in 300 PRC to the collection today.

Excited to get it setup for long range shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Amateurs train until they get it right... Professionals train until they get it wrong"
PHATSPEED7x

Previous

Return to Long Guns