AR in .410 upper platform- What’s the point?

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

AR in .410 upper platform- What’s the point?

Postby Bergie on Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:47 pm

Like everyone these days I’m getting bombarded with emails and texts from Midway, Brownells, OpticsPlanet etc! One company was advertising a sale ($279) for a 410 upper with buffer and 5rnd mag. My first thought was “cool, I don’t have one of those”, the other voice in my head said “What’s the point? Why not just use subsonic rounds in your 300AAC?”
Not sure which voice I should listen to.
(I’m assuming the barrel was a smooth bore)(?) Maybe in a ‘shotgun slugs only’ deer zone?
Bergie

Re: AR in .410 upper platform- What’s the point?

Postby jdege on Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:57 pm

the other voice in my head said “What’s the point?"

It's a gun you don't have.

What other point is there?
jdege

Postby Bergie on Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:59 pm

Hhmmm :roll:
Bergie

Postby grimbeaver on Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:41 pm

I have a friend who bought one and shoots skeet with it from time to time. So really the only point is because you can.
grimbeaver

Postby jdege on Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:51 pm

Do you really need another?

jdege

Postby crbutler on Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:34 am

I suppose it would be useful for garden pests is about it.

A .410 is really only useful for skeet. Try patterning them and compare it to even a 28ga.

Admittedly, having any gun is better than none if trouble comes, but the .410 is very iffy.

As to why a .410 in an AR, it’s a lot less redesign work than a larger bore.
crbutler

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:46 am

crbutler wrote:I suppose it would be useful for garden pests is about it.

A .410 is really only useful for skeet. Try patterning them and compare it to even a 28ga.

Admittedly, having any gun is better than none if trouble comes, but the .410 is very iffy.

I killed a lot of squirrels and rabbits with a single shot .410 in my youth, just saying
Holland&Holland

Postby crbutler on Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:38 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:

I killed a lot of squirrels and rabbits with a single shot .410 in my youth, just saying

And I bet you missed a bunch, as well.

Pattern a .410 with #6 shot sometime. There are bunny sized holes in the pattern at normal shotgun ranges. Sure, smaller shot helps fill in, and getting closer helps.

Hunting does require some degree of humane choice. A .410 sounds a lot of game.

Or to put it another way, why are skeet scores lower with the .410 (statistically) for even the top shooters than with a larger bore? They are all mostly using subgauge tubes in their usual gun so it’s not a less familiar gun with fitment concerns…

I have no issues with someone wanting an AR in .410, but from a practical standpoint it makes no sense.
crbutler

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:56 pm

crbutler wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:

And I bet you missed a bunch, as well.

Pattern a .410 with #6 shot sometime. There are bunny sized holes in the pattern at normal shotgun ranges. Sure, smaller shot helps fill in, and getting closer helps.

Hunting does require some degree of humane choice. A .410 sounds a lot of game.

Or to put it another way, why are skeet scores lower with the .410 (statistically) for even the top shooters than with a larger bore? They are all mostly using subgauge tubes in their usual gun so it’s not a less familiar gun with fitment concerns…

I have no issues with someone wanting an AR in .410, but from a practical standpoint it makes no sense.

So we should all use 8 gauge only then? Scores with 20 and 28 are lower than 12 too. At least in sporting clays.

I was a kid, I am sure I missed my fair share but I really doubt it was the gun. I remember mom cooking many a rabbit in the crockpot for dinner.
Holland&Holland

Return to Long Guns