Red Dot on a 30-30?

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Red Dot on a 30-30?

Postby Pat on Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:40 pm

I've cleaned up an old Marlin 336. It hasn't been fired in 35 years (I know - I shot it last ;) ).

The gun is drilled and tapped for a weaver base. Originally, the gun did have a scope mounted on it, but at the time (humph, cough...), my eyes did better with iron sights. I've long since lost touch with the scope...

I would like to use this old rifle for deer hunting this fall, but I now need to re-install some type of optics on top (mine eyes have grown older, don't ya know...).

A buddy suggested that I simply put a red dot on it. Not a bad idea, thought I, as I really won't be using this gun for long distance shooting.

Whatcha folks think?
"Happiness is...finding two olives in your martini when you're hungry." -Johnny Carson
Cardinal Kung Foundation , The Rule of Saint Benedict
Pat

Re: Red Dot on a 30-30?

Postby goalie on Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:52 pm

I have a fixed 4x Nikon Monarch on my .30-30. I bring it as a back-up gun for deer hunting, and a buddy of mine shot a deer with it last year at 80 years or so.

I don't see why a red-dot type scope wouldn't work just as well as a low-powered scope.
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby JFettig on Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:19 pm

I use a red dot on my slug gun, I really like them.

Get a good one, I got one of the cheap soup can red dots for mine and they aren't bright enough.

Jon
JFettig

Postby gunnerbmg on Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:16 am

Three of my hunting buddies use red dots for deer hunting and really like them. They say they are great in woods, clear, easy to get on target and perfect for the range they hunt...out to 100 yards or so. they always bring home the vennie.....
"arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden times" Winston Churchill
gunnerbmg

Postby cobb on Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:25 am

I use very low power variable, like a 1-4x on my Marlin 45-70 and Ruger 41 mag, or a fixed 1X or 2X on my shotgun and Freedom Arms 454. I have a few more, but they follow the same pattern as far as magnification goes.

For me, it seems that Murphy follows me around and the batteries will be dead when I need them to make the red dot. :|
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby BlackEagl on Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:23 am

cobb wrote:For me, it seems that Murphy follows me around and the batteries will be dead when I need them to make the red dot. :|

Just go out and get yourself a red sharpie.. :lol: I know.. Not quite the same..
BlackEagl

Postby DeanC on Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:01 am

It would probably work fine. Something in me rebels at the thought of a red dot scope on a "traditional" style gun. I wouldn't give you a hard time about it if it works for you.

But maybe consider these?

Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby cobb on Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:29 am

I do have the Williams receiver or peep site also on a couple rifles. I am always amazed how accurate they are. I prefer the brass peep the best, seems to work a little better for me at dusk.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby DeanC on Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:40 am

The nice thing about the XS sights is the front sight has a tritium insert.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby Ironbear on Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:05 am

I put one of these (a JPoint dot sight) on my 10/22. I also bought a mount for my Freedom Arms revolver (even though I haven't mounted it). It weights nothing, and it could be mounted so that regular sights would be visible right through it, if the batteries went dead.
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby 1911fan on Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:21 pm

I too find in somewhat disturbing, a simple Lyman or williams peep sight is better in my mind.
1911fan

Postby hammAR on Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:09 pm

I don't need no stinking batteries................IMNSHO............ :P

Get and use whatever YOU like,
don't let the knuckle dragging, mouth breathers influence you........... :lol:

All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby goalie on Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:51 pm

I had the XS sights on my Marlin. Then, after debating about the "looks" of a scope on the lever-gun, I realized that I could hit faster and more accurately with the scope, and the scope has stayed on ever since.

The added extra hunting time due to the ability to identify a deer in the first and last legal minutes of hunting is also a bonus that you don't get with either a red-dot or the peep sights.
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby Thor on Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:07 am

I have one of these on my slug gun:

I truly love it. You can buy the lower end Bushnell brand (same manufacturer) and probably be very happy with it. Mine has a variable brightness adjustment, which comes in handy during changing light conditions. When you look through the 'scope", this is what you'll see:

It also has very little parallax error.
Thor

Return to Long Guns