And now for something completely different -

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Re: And now for something completely different -

Postby Norsesmithy on Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:29 am

Congratulations.

There are several 2 stage triggers that are well regarded, but probably the most convenient is the RRA two stage, because you can buy them as part of a complete LPK that has all of your small parts from Rainier Arms.

Drop in Timney and timneyesque triggers are available too.
Norsesmithy

Postby JFettig on Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:11 am

With those tools, you can build a lower, handguard, re-contour or completely turn and chamber a barrel.

I've done a few myself, I've made a lower out of a block of 6061 as well as milled a few forgings and others.
You can get a 80% lower for around 80 bucks from here: http://www.tacticalmachining.com/, just machine the fire control group area and your ready to rock.

Turning a long barrel is no fun, but it is satisfying.

If you have any questions about machining your own AR parts, let me know. I've even built a 9mm AR from ground up. THe only items I didn't make were the FCG, plastic parts, upper receiver, charging handle and stock.

Jon
JFettig

Postby FJ540 on Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:13 pm

I could build the entire gun with the tools and accessories I have. The issue is the outcome IMO still results in a generic AR platform, and for me, it isn't worth the effort.

You can buy complete lowers for $80 now.

Especially 6061, and even 7075 bar stock are not as strong as forged 7075. When you forge it, you're compressing the same amount of material into a smaller, more dense package. People who've been suckered into buying "billet" receivers machined from bar stock have a weaker platform, and probably paid more. I'd be willing to bet you could tell the difference in weight between them side by side.

At some point I will build a gun in the sense "I" consider building - from scratch. It just won't be something so common as an AR. This one will primarily be assembled. I do want to try some things with muzzle brakes, and I may end up building a piston kit.
FJ540

Postby farmerj on Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:11 pm

if I ever build another one, it will be a JP trigger
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby FJ540 on Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:35 pm

I was in Streichers today and they have a S&W MOE on display. I really like the fore grip, but I don't care at all for the pistol grip. Something about the serrations on the front of it feel awful. I suppose that's a good thing, since I already ordered the CTR stock and fore grip over the weekend.

John's checking into a Hogue for me that I hope to be able to pick up when I get my lower from him in a few days.

I decided to go with a single stage stainless lower kit rather than the two stage since I don't foresee competition shooting with this gun. I also seem to have a higher tolerance for ******* triggers than most. If it releases the hammer (once) when I give it a pull, I'm usually ok with it. :mrgreen: I tend to be far less forgiving of poor optics, so I'm spending the extra money there instead.

I still need a bolt assembly, charging handle, delta ring assembly, front sight post and grip ring, gas tube, and receiver extension w/buffer and spring. I'm currently bidding on a barrel on GB, but the price isn't too much below retail, so I don't think I have any worries on losing it.

So now the question is, do I order the remaining parts online, or do I hold out for the two upcomming gun shows? I don't trust DPMS quality (never have), so that makes me leary of what might be on the table at the shows.
FJ540

Postby Norsesmithy on Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:09 pm

I think you'll like the Hogue, a buddy has one, and I really like it.

Of course, I'm just putting up with the stock grip for now, because I'd rather spend my coin on other stuff ATM, but I'll probably get a couple eventually.
Norsesmithy

Postby FJ540 on Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:16 pm

I think it was a bushmaster that had one at Cabela's and I fell in love when I wrapped my fingers around it. I didn't ask any questions about the rest of the rifle, but I found out who made the grip. :D

List is only 26 bucks.

Streichers also had the ergo's - I didn't appreciate the big lump in the middle of my palm on those. It almost seemed like the grip had a tumor.
FJ540

Postby FJ540 on Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:06 am

Just placed an order with Brownells for the lions share of the remaining parts. They've got Daniel Defense complete bolt carrier groups for $130 right now as some kind of introductory pricing. I also emailed their CS people to try and get in on the 10% off over $150 orders sale they're having starting on the 27th. I figured it was best to place the order and miss out on 26 bucks in savings than to risk stuff selling out and having to wait for it. With any luck, this stuff will be here on the 27th. :)

I just need to secure my barrel (auction ends tonight), and figure out what I want to do for a gas block and muzzle brake.
FJ540

Postby FJ540 on Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:13 pm

A bunch of parts arrived today.

Brownells made me super happy when I discovered the receiver extension tube they include in their "kit" is a vltor! I had assembled all the parts in my shopping cart to use that tube, but they're out of stock on the buffers. So I decided since I probably can't see the cool logo on the end of the tube with the CTR stock I have coming anyway - screw it, I'll use what they send me. Then they sent me what I wanted anyway. :mrgreen:
FJ540

Postby FJ540 on Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Just did my first crown job. 8-)

USPS was quick on shipping that thing, the only problem is that the seller doesn't know how to measure and the barrel is actually a 14.5" not 16". The price was right, the quality is outstanding, and the wait on a new one could be months since the outfit making them isn't taking any orders for the foreseeable future. So I'm left pinning on my brake, but I shave another inch or so off the overall length of the gun - which is fine by me.
FJ540

Postby Norsesmithy on Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:40 pm

Silver solder is also legally acceptable for "permanently" affixing a muzzle device.
Norsesmithy

Postby FJ540 on Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:45 pm

I don't want to put that much heat into the barrel. I can tig a pin in without getting the barrel hot enough to wet out silver solder.
FJ540

Postby FJ540 on Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:55 pm

Oops (ups) is holding my lower hostage. They were supposed to deliver it today, but it's still in IL as of earlier. Rescheduled date is monday. :x

I stopped using oops back when I did suspension kits on trucks because they'd always lose or delay anything I needed in a timely manner. I guess some things never change.
FJ540

Postby FJ540 on Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:00 am

This is what I came up with for a muzzle brake. The design I really want to make has possible ATF ramifications, so I'll work up a drawing and send that off to be circular filed (I'm sure) at some point.

The OD is just over 1.25" and the cross holes are .5 and .312 respectively. The bore chokes down as the bullet progresses through the brake, so it should peel off most of the blast before the bullet gets out the end. The designed intent of the straight across bores is to cause turbulence in the gases as they exit the sides. This should enhance cooling and combustion of the unburnt powder, so flash ideally will be mitigated (any flash should produce an "X" and thus not be in my line of sight).

I'm not worried about a dust signature since this is a 16" barrel (now) and I won't be shooting prone.
FJ540

Postby FJ540 on Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:02 pm

Here we are - all pinned and welded. Legal.

Just need to get the barrel and buffer nuts torqued and she's ready to rock'n roll. :)
FJ540

PreviousNext

Return to Long Guns