Looking for a new Trap gun.

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Re: Looking for a new Trap gun.

Postby dupa on Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:59 pm

I'll second the stock shop..
dupa

Postby LumberZach on Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:36 am

shooter115 wrote:You could try getting ahold of Laib's Gunsmithing. He is pretty well known as a shotgun and fitting guru.

Everyone says fitting a shotgun makes a big difference and I'm sure they are right, I've just never taken the time to mess with it. Being average size (5'-10", 180lbs) guessing as they come out of the box is pretty close for me anyways.

Is there anywhere I can go to learn more or hear some reviews about this guy? Doing some quick searches didn't yield much, but he is close enough that I am considering him. Otherwise the stock shop looks like the way to go. The BT-99 is leading right now, but I would still like to see a few in person before I start looking to buy. Do any shops have them in stock in the area?
LumberZach

Postby dupa on Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:35 pm

Check out metro gun club I think they used to have one there for rental. You could try befor you buy
dupa

Postby shooter115 on Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:41 pm

LumberZach wrote:
shooter115 wrote:You could try getting ahold of Laib's Gunsmithing. He is pretty well known as a shotgun and fitting guru.

Everyone says fitting a shotgun makes a big difference and I'm sure they are right, I've just never taken the time to mess with it. Being average size (5'-10", 180lbs) guessing as they come out of the box is pretty close for me anyways.

Is there anywhere I can go to learn more or hear some reviews about this guy? Doing some quick searches didn't yield much, but he is close enough that I am considering him. Otherwise the stock shop looks like the way to go. The BT-99 is leading right now, but I would still like to see a few in person before I start looking to buy. Do any shops have them in stock in the area?

Beyond Google, I can't really be much help. He's pretty old school, so no website....social media...ect. I just know he has a good reputation among serious clay shooters.
shooter115

Postby 2in2out on Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:59 pm

dupa wrote:I'll second the stock shop..

10 minutes away from me. I keep hearing good comments about them, but have never dealt with them personally.
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby LumberZach on Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:34 pm

So I went to Scheels in St. Cloud today, and they had a BT-99 with the adjustable comb. I don't quite have the money to get one today so I had to put it back eventually, but I did really like the way it felt. Unless I decide an O/U is absolutely necessary I think I will get one in a few months. I didn't think about it until just a bit ago, but does anyone know if the browning comes with a hard case at all? I have seen what looks like older guns coming with a hard case, but it isn't real clear if the new ones do. It isn't advertised on the website which is making me think the new guns don't come with a case.
LumberZach

Postby speedy396 on Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:26 am

May want to check the Rogers Cabelas. They seem to have used ones regularly, but not sure on the price. Call first. Given the time of year, you may just check Armslist the next couple of months. They don't come up as often, but they do and are typically under $1k. I haven't seen a new BT99, but if it is like the Citori, the older ones have nicer bluing and wood. As far as I know, the Browning hard cases are sold separately and run sbout $200. You can find tused ones at the local gun shows for less.
speedy396

Postby speedy396 on Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:39 pm

FYI, there's a BT-99 on Armslist at TC Pawn for $899. Looks to be in decent shape.
speedy396

Previous

Return to Long Guns