AR Info

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Re: AR Info

Postby Stradawhovious on Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:10 pm

hammAR wrote:...put the selector to the third position and forget that bump-fire crap.....and add 10 30 rounders to the count.......

ya gotta get the barrel hot enough to light your cigar on for them to break in correctly....... :cogitating:

Unfortunately no giggle switch on this alleged firearm.. :cry:

Are you guys serious? Just do a bunch of mag dumps? I mean both hammAR and FarmerJ, your opinions on this subject are like gold to me, and I will do what I'm told by a couple of rifle jockeys whose opinions I value............ So if that's the way to do it, my God, I'm all over it. :gun: I mean hypothetically :? if not, please let me know, as I'd hate to have to buy a new barrel, no matter how much of a laugh you get out of it. ;)
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby hammAR on Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:17 pm

Strad, I just scanned through the thread and could not find what you are getting and what you are using it for. IF you are getting a paper puncher with 24" heavy varmint type barrel and set up and are going to be serious about it, then you would "prep" it like any decent puncher rifle and treat it as such. However, if you are getting a 16"er then just shoot the hell out of it and enjoy it......................... $.02
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby Stradawhovious on Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:37 pm

5.56/.223; 16"; 1:9" twist........... hypothetically.
and it will really only be used for 100 yds and shorter at the range......

Thanks! I'll blast away! hypothetically :?
Stradawhovious

Postby mmcnx2 on Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:25 pm

On the other hand I'm building a tack driver and just got my upper shipped. Got a really cool SunDevil Slick Side billet unit. Going to put a Kreiger 28inch bull barrel on it.

I've got the lower and the jewel two stage all setup, very slick and about 1.5 lb or maybe a touch lighter trigger pull.
mmcnx2

Postby mmcnx2 on Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:45 pm

Update.

I've got my bolt and carrier assmbly being shipped today. All that is left is a hi tech adjustable buttstock and it gets shipped off for the barrel install.
mmcnx2

Postby mmcnx2 on Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:35 pm

Well a little update.

Seems putting together an AR is alot easier than a 1911.

I've got my DPMS lower with Jewel 2 stage trigger installed, breaks at a shade under 2 pounds.

My slick side upper has a nice young national match chrome bolt and the recoil buffer and spring went in without a hitch.

The upper goes off to the barrel shop next week for a 28" heavy stainless monster chambered in 5.56 Match.

Barrel maker says it will be 600yard tack driver with 80 grain bullets.

These are fun toys, wish I had gotten into them soon. I'm thinking a large bore brother might be in order, somehting that can reach out to 1000yds.
mmcnx2

Postby Stradawhovious on Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:40 pm

mmcnx2 wrote:
These are fun toys, wish I had gotten into them soon. I'm thinking a large bore brother might be in order, somehting that can reach out to 1000yds.

It's a disease isn't it? Tell you what. I'd hate to see you have to test that AR by yourself, so I am selflessly offering my assistance to do a safety testing for you. Go ahead and drop the rifle off at my place, and I will test it, write a report and return it to you within 4-5 years.
Stradawhovious

Postby mmcnx2 on Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:04 pm

Well it might be spring before I see it back form the barrel maker. He says lead time is about 12-16 weeks for a custom made barrel, due to the twist rate and lenght I'm look at. By then it will be nice enough outside to go through that one round and clean cycle for break in.

In the the mean time I'm researching the adjustable NRA style buttstocks and optics.

Now if you really want to help, find me some once fired 5.56 (06 or 07 headstamp) lake city brass.
mmcnx2

Postby nyffman on Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:01 pm

I was going to tell you, if I can do it, anyone can. But looks like you beat me to it. Here are some pics anyway. Not as involved as yours, but I do have one lower left to build. That is, if I don't lose it, or accidentally throw it in with the aluminum cans I'm recycling. I was kinda disapointed though. I got a bunch of chisels and pipe wrenches of different sizes and didn't use all of them. :roll: :lol: :o
PC050001.JPG
PC050003.JPG
our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Postby westberg on Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:13 pm

Great looking rifle nyffman, I recognize some of the parts......... :lol:
westberg

Postby hammAR on Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:14 am

Careful Nyffman, you'll shoot your eye out....

All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby westberg on Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:17 am

The upper goes off to the barrel shop next week for a 28" heavy stainless monster chambered in 5.56 Match.

mmcnx2,
Why did you decide on such a long barrel and what is the rifling twist rate? Are you planning on shooting in any matches with this rifle? Can you share who the barrel maker is, there may be others interested? I know that some cartridges get better performance with longer barrels, at what length of barrel is wasted with the 5.56 and 80gr bullet. I'm asking because I have a couple of rifle projects going.
westberg

Postby mmcnx2 on Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:45 pm

The barrel is based on the recommendation from the builder, Krieger. The twist rate will be 7.7, not sure why not 8 but that''s what the man says and he is a barrel god from what I'm told. The lenght he says is suited for the longer range I'm looking to shoot, under 300 26 or somewhat less would have been fine.

They build 1000yd bench rest rifles, this seemed to be a walk in the park.

Say in touch I'll let you know how it goes, they have been good about my stream of questions.
mmcnx2

Postby goalie on Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:22 pm

What ranges are you looking to shoot at? 20" and heavy bullets work great out to 600 with a service rifle. .223 is a little finicky in the wind for me at 1,000 though. Heck, a 30" barrel is what you put on a Palma rifle to reach 1,000 and stay supersonic with the Palma loads in .308.
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby westberg on Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:04 pm

I have a rifle coming with two uppers, one in .308 with a 18" barrel and a .260 with a 22" barrel. I have no yardage bench mark in mind. I'm just planning on shooting it and start moving the target distance out until I can't hit it anymore. Then I will have the effective range for my ability with that rifle. This is my plan anyway, it may not be a good plan but it is my plan. :lol: :lol:
westberg

PreviousNext

Return to Long Guns