AR Info

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Re: AR Info

Postby nyffman on Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:51 am

hammAR wrote:Careful Nyffman, you'll shoot your eye out....

Not likely. :o But I'll keep your extremely cogent advice in mind. :D
our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Postby mmcnx2 on Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:00 am

I'm using 600 yards as my benchmark, Krieger is one of the premier barrel buildersing in the country, I also questioned the lenght(I started looking at a 22-24), when he suggest 28 I talked about 26 and he said I really wanted the 28 for the 75-80 grain bullets and the 7.7 twist. Of course we talking about accuracy here so everyones opinion on what that means at 600yds might vary a little. Some would say an a hit on a IPSC target,others a 2inch group. I'm leaning a little more to the later.

I've never done a custom barrel before but I have had a full custom gun built more than once, from that I've decided that when a builder strongly encourages you to take their advice and there is no monetary reason for them to do it, I tend to listen.

In the end I'll only know after its done and broke in, if I don't like he we says he can shorten it, which beats the difficult stretching process to lenghten it. :lol:
mmcnx2

Postby goalie on Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:17 am

mmcnx2 wrote:I'm using 600 yards as my benchmark, Krieger is one of the premier barrel buildersing in the country, I also questioned the lenght(I started looking at a 22-24), when he suggest 28 I talked about 26 and he said I really wanted the 28 for the 75-80 grain bullets and the 7.7 twist. Of course we talking about accuracy here so everyones opinion on what that means at 600yds might vary a little. Some would say an a hit on a IPSC target,others a 2inch group. I'm leaning a little more to the later.

A buddy of mine seems to do OK with a 20" barrel and the above bullet weights out to 600.

Of course, he's a Distinguished Rifleman (it took him 3 leg matches), won the President's 100, and is a current coach for the US Palma team, so he might have been blowing smoke.

:blah:
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby goalie on Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:19 am

mmcnx2 wrote:I'm using 600 yards as my benchmark,.......... Some would say an a hit on a IPSC target,others a 2inch group. I'm leaning a little more to the later.

So, are you saying that you can shoot 1/3 (.3333) MOA at 600 yards?!?!?!?!?
goalie

Postby mmcnx2 on Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:29 am

No but I'm looking for better than a 14 by 20 inch hit at 600 yards. I don't expect a 2inch gorup form an AR either but I would like to be closer to that than the paper hit. I do expect sub MOA at 100yds with this setup. Heck I get .5 - .75 inch groups at 100yds with my stock .270 remington pump and reloads, best was under .5(good day and sorted handloads). This better be able to kick that all to heck given the money I'm putting in the barrel.
mmcnx2

Postby goalie on Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:15 pm

mmcnx2 wrote:No but I'm looking for better than a 14 by 20 inch hit at 600 yards. I don't expect a 2inch gorup form an AR either but I would like to be closer to that than the paper hit. I do expect sub MOA at 100yds with this setup. Heck I get .5 - .75 inch groups at 100yds with my stock .270 remington pump and reloads, best was under .5(good day and sorted handloads). This better be able to kick that all to heck given the money I'm putting in the barrel.

Sub MOA at 100 doesn't necessarily mean sub MOA at 600. 1/2 MOA at 100 sure as hell doesn't even mean MOA at 600.

And, I hate to break this to you, but .5-.75 MOA is pretty damn good. If you think you're going to buy an AR that shoots significantly better than 1/2-3/4 MOA (consistently, not just a group here and there) out past 200 yards, well, I have some bad news for you......

Oh, and we have to go shooting sometime. I've got some money to put against your Remington pump shooting .75 or less MOA groups for five consecutive five shot groups.........a LOT of money.
goalie

Postby mmcnx2 on Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:07 pm

Well we will have to go shooting sometime. I use to shoot benchrest so one hole at 100yds and measuring out of round is accruate in my book. I also shot a little silhouette back in the 80's so I understand what it takes to shoot 600 yds and with that equipment 2-3 inch groups was pretty run of the mill stuff.

The .5 - .75 is good from a pump and it took alot of trial and error to get there, but I've had and seen alot of field guns with the right hand load do it. So yea given the vast majority of accuracy comes from the barrel I do expect alot from a 28inch heavy barrel AR with the right handload.

I'm are not talking about grabing a 16inch service rifle and box of brand X ammo. I'm looking to weight individual bullets and brass, Mic each casing, hand meter powder to get specific lots of rounds that will be consitant. This is not cranking out 1000 rounding on the dillion 650 it's building 20 rounds that are as close to each other as possible. In the benchrest days we bought bullets by the 1000 within a specific lot number and then sorted by grain weight. We had steps of over's, under's and barrel warmers for the way out of spec.

In the end well see how the AR fares, if it can't perfrom it will be gone(in this market I would not expect to loose a ton of money on it). If so it will be replaced by a bolt with a 10# barrel mostly likely chanbered in 6mm or 22-250. But the barrel maker seems to think I'll be satisfied so things move forward. Part of the fun is seeing what can be done, if it fails thats OK it was a fun way to spend a winter. And I can add building an AR to my list of things I've done.
mmcnx2

Postby westberg on Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:20 pm

Its shaping up to be a long winter, how about a MNGunTalk rifle shoot off. Winner takes home bragging rights. Open to any rifle and maybe have best shooter at a given yardage. I suspect there is some pretty good shooters on the forum and no reason to call each other out on skill or equipment. It all comes down to what can be done on a given day at the range. :lol: :lol:

Anybody.............
westberg

Postby Stradawhovious on Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:40 pm

westberg wrote:Its shaping up to be a long winter, how about a MNGunTalk rifle shoot off. Winner takes home bragging rights. Open to any rifle and maybe have best shooter at a given yardage. I suspect there is some pretty good shooters on the forum and no reason to call each other out on skill or equipment. It all comes down to what can be done on a given day at the range. :lol: :lol:

Anybody.............

Depending on the date and range, I'd be in for that. I won't win. I won't even place. Hell, I'd be lucky to hit the paper! But I would bet I learn a lot.
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby mmcnx2 on Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:44 pm

Come spring when the temp gets above 40 I'm in.

I'm not one for sitting outside in the snow.
mmcnx2

Postby nyffman on Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:59 pm

I'm with Strad. :D
our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Postby Einthoven's Triangle on Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:12 pm

Aint never seen a Rem Pump or Auto ie 7400 series or 7600 series that was consistent sub MOA shooter, would have to see to belive.

Rifle High PowerSilhoutte is out to 500 meters last time I checked not 600 yds?
Equipment Chicken Pig Turkey Ram
Large bore rifle 200 300 385 500

Some of you own guns, others are hunters who embellish like fisherman commonly do, and then there is the rare bird who are shooters. Goalie is a shooter! And pretty darn good at that!

Most of you should take up shooting high power, you will learn a ton. Then you can see how hard it is to get distinguished in three Leg Matches.....Oh yeah, that would take winning three regional leg matches, or finishing in the 10 % at Perry to get 30pts. Oh yeah there is the wind, light, and distance. Seperates the men from the boys and the BS stops with the scores!

Man if all you want is 20pcs of brass chuck down the money for the Lapua!
Einthoven's Triangle

Postby Einthoven's Triangle on Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:28 pm

At one time BrassmanBrass.com had some virgin LC brass for sale and he might have some other brass. He is a good guy to deal with.
Einthoven's Triangle

Postby mmcnx2 on Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:36 pm

Einthoven, I never said Silhouette was 600 yards, give me break. I said I shot silhouette and given that experience understand what it takes to shoot 600 yards. If you want to debate that shooting 545 yards does not qualify you to shoot 600 yards then go right ahead.

And my 760 pump may be old but it in fact can shoot under an inch at 100 yards.

I'm a shooter, been away from rifles for 10+ years playing with pistols but the AR thing got me pulled back.

So before you lay down all this greater than thou expertise, either offer some assistance to the question of where I can find some brass(which is all I origanally asked and you finally offered brassman-oh and like that is revolutionary info) or please just don't bother.
mmcnx2

Postby hammAR on Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:57 pm

mmcnx2............build what you want, shoot what you want, and play it how you want........
afterall this is the effen INTERNET...........and a lot of stuff gets shot here.........in fact I have a .75 oz delete key......

I'm intrigued with what you are doing as I have had several barrel configurations built by the Krieger folks and they do know their sheit........

All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

PreviousNext

Return to Long Guns