Winchester Model 70 accessories, parts, mods, etc

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Re: Winchester Model 70 accessories, parts, mods, etc

Postby DeanC on Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:58 pm

1911fan wrote:To me, and Dean will roll over and scream at this

1911fan wrote:Jeff Cooper spent too many of his later years hunting in africa, and too little hunting deer in deep woods.

That is actually very true.

The plain fact is, in Minnesota, most deer hunting is done from a stand. I don't even need a sling on my rifle except to keep my hands free when walking to my stand.

I know nothing about still hunting. I've never really done it.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby 1911fan on Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:14 pm

this is the best sling available if you wish to use the service style.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/cat ... type=store

This is made of biothane, which has replaced leather, it will not rot, stain your clothes, stretch, or need attention. It is nylon webbing which is infused with a urethane. While not cheap, it can easily be switched from gun to gun.

On some of my bad weather guns, I have gone to REI and bought plain black or forest green webbing, and then just sewn the ends to make it the length I want. Helps keep the weight down and is also very easy to do. I sew one end to the QR swivel and then just use a knot to get the length right, when I get it right, use a hot knife to cut it and then sew it to the other swivel. At 50 cents a foot, if I make a mistake and decide to change the length or what ever, cutting off 2 dollars or less really does not hurt too bad.
1911fan

Postby 1911fan on Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:27 pm

I have a lot of success still hunting in poor weather. When is really windy or rainy or both, deer seem to just sit still, bedded down waiting for it to pass. If the deer are not going to come to you, you must find the deer. I will set out as lightly dressed as I can, I will also carry as little as possible, and I will make sure that I can get my gun into use fast. That means my bad weather guns are all peep sights. glass is just to slow when you have to worry about wiping lenses. I use a A model 99 savage with a peep or I use trapper model 94 with a peep. My 71 would be my still hunting gun for bear or elk.

The pattern is to walk with no real pattern no more than ten steps at time and then LOOK around you, listen too. Animals do not count, so do not use the same number of steps when you walk, I try to keep walking as much as possible with the wind in my face, but that is not always possible, if you move a deer, they will often try to get down wind of you to find your scent. So try moving sideways a little bit and see what happens, often they will walk right back into you.

I try this a lot when grouse or rabbit hunting. On days when I do not bring the dog, I try to walk slowly, keeping my eyes open, and actually trying to stalk prey. after a while you get better at it, and your eyes adjust more to it. I have rarely seen a whole deer while still hunting, usually it is a flag, or a ear twitching or an eye blinking. They blend in way better than you realize.
1911fan

Postby plblark on Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:51 pm

I must be doing something wrong. This is the 4th time I've "lost a post" I thought I submitted.

Drat.

1911Fan: want to go shooting? you've got PM.
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby rucker on Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:12 pm

plblark wrote:I must be doing something wrong. This is the 4th time I've "lost a post" I thought I submitted.

Drat.

1911Fan: want to go shooting? you've got PM.

If you reply to a post and somebody else makes a reply before you hit submit then it will let you view that post and you have to hit submit again to actually make the post. It was kind of confusing to me at first, maybe that it was is happening.
rucker

Previous

Return to Long Guns