Shotgun window open...must enter...

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Shotgun window open...must enter...

Postby phorvick on Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:27 pm

Out of the blue my wife says she might like to try breaking some clay pigeons. She has never fired a shotgun before, and although I have shot a friends 870 20GA, I really know diddley squat about them.

Since we are not interested in some 4 figure "do we like it" gun, but just curious, what might be recommended?

Also, I understand a great option is to "go with a friend and try it"...but, that is not possible. We have no friends. (At least the type that live up here and could take us under their wing.)

I interpreted her interest as an "OK" to buy a shotgun, so I am willing to go through that window.... so...ideas??
Where did I leave the Tardis?
phorvick

Re: Shotgun window open...must enter...

Postby 1911fan on Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:53 pm

First question, asked politely, how big is she? Height is the big question, because it limits reach and reach is the big fitting question behind shotguns.

If she's 5' 6'' or taller then a full size gun should work, and I would offer that either a remington 870 or 1100 are the best bet. If she (or you?) are under 5'6'' then finding a youth 20 gauge 870 express is a good bet. Or find a good 20 ga of either 870 or 1100 and then getting a youth sized stock to fit, ( a simple swap requiring only a phillips and blade screw drivers.) I prefer the second option as the 21 inch barrel for the youth guns is a bit short, and a 26 inch barrel with a youth stock swings much better.

Gauge becomes a second issue, based on size, most who can handle a 12 ga for size can handle the recoil that comes with it, infact, a lot of full size 12 ga shooting target loads kick less than smaller 20 ga guns shooting the same style of loads. it has to do with weight and inertia. Remington also makes a 16 ga express which is a great gun but for some reason, ammo is outrageous now for 16 ga.

If you lived closer, there are several in my closet that i would be happy to loan out to let you see what works.

If you are widely separated in size, then breaking down and buying two guns is most likely the best way to do it.

Now, heres the good part, used shotguns keep value, so if the grand experiment does not work, then you can sell them off for a decent return. I would not buy new, I would find a good used gun, you will save a couple of hundred dollars and for the most part, there is nothing costly to break or wear out on either gun.

What kind of clay shooting are you likely to do, sporting, skeet, trap? I find sporting clays to be the most fun, as it mimics hunting to a greater degree.

Some will say 28 gauge or .410, but I would suggest staying away as they are actually more difficult to shoot well with than the 20,16, or 12 gauge. The reason is payload. The two smaller gauges shoot such light payloads, or fewer pellets than the others, that shot patterns suffer. Either the shot pattern is so tight as to make perfect aim imperative, or the pattern density is so ragged that clays fly right thru the holes. There just are not enough pellets or bb's being thrown to do both jobs at the distances required.

Any further questions just ask.
1911fan

Postby gunflint on Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:26 am

I agree with the 870 Express Youth Model. It's good for clays and it's a dandy little HD gun as well.
The 2nd Amendment is the ONLY amendment in the Bill of Rights that specifies that it shall not be infringed.
gunflint

Postby justaguy on Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:41 am

Last edited by justaguy on Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WWTNSTKBLD
(What Would The Navy SEALs That Killed Bin Laden Do)
justaguy

Postby BRIT_in_the_weeds on Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:50 am

I bought a Mossberg 500 20g Youth combo for my wife. Good prices this time of year at the big box stores, makes a nice light weight grouse gun for me too 8-) 8-)
Far better it is to dare mighty things...than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat
T.Roosevelt 1899

Just me and the designated settee, in the weeds.8-)
Thread-F.U master Brit Pei Ying
1/ICC ;-) .1/ICC II.;-)
BRIT_in_the_weeds

Postby Thor on Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:34 pm

phorvick wrote:Out of the blue my wife says she might like to try breaking some clay pigeons. She has never fired a shotgun before, and although I have shot a friends 870 20GA, I really know diddley squat about them.

Since we are not interested in some 4 figure "do we like it" gun, but just curious, what might be recommended?

Also, I understand a great option is to "go with a friend and try it"...but, that is not possible. We have no friends. (At least the type that live up here and could take us under their wing.)

I interpreted her interest as an "OK" to buy a shotgun, so I am willing to go through that window.... so...ideas??

Paul, are you going to be at the next steel shoot?? If so, I have a couple I could bring along to let her try.
Thor

Postby JoeH on Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:55 pm

As for gauge, I'd buy a 12. You and her will want to have success and the 12 gives the best chance for it. From clays to hunting, the 12 gauge is the "blue collar" working gauge to have.

For barrel length, 26 or 28 for versatility. There are many opinions on this. Don't get hung up on it especially if you are looking for a used gun.

Your biggest choice is action. I'd stay away from an over/under or side by side. She'll feel the most recoil with one of these. A pump or an auto will be fine. Pumps have reliability on their side* and also cost less on average. Autos have lighter felt recoil and auto-loaded follow up shots. You can't go wrong either way.

*many shooters place thousands of rounds through an auto shotgun without a single problem, I have. The unreliability of a good auto is greatly exaggerated.
Joe
Not a Glock Certified Armorer
JoeH

Postby farmerj on Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:57 pm

I would actually give an 870 28 ga a real close look.

I have the 870 express mag in 12 ga 3". Works wonderful. Problem is, 90% of my loads are light weight 7/8 oz loads. Not even CLOSE to the magnum or 3" power loads.

The 28 ga will carry the same size loads and still not have the recoil.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby JFettig on Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:46 pm

farmerj wrote:I would actually give an 870 28 ga a real close look.

I have the 870 express mag in 12 ga 3". Works wonderful. Problem is, 90% of my loads are light weight 7/8 oz loads. Not even CLOSE to the magnum or 3" power loads.

The 28 ga will carry the same size loads and still not have the recoil.

can you even buy 28ga loads in stores?

Jon
JFettig

Postby 1911fan on Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:48 pm

You can find 28 gauge, but its usually the pricey stuff, you never (at least I never) see it on sale for 4 or 5 dollars a box, its usually the 8-9 dollar stuff, and that gets pricey when you are shooting two or three boxes a round of sporting clays.
1911fan

Postby farmerj on Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:08 am

Sportsman's, Gander, Cabella's and Scheels all carry it.

I reload all of my ammo now, so for me that would be my choice.

for phorvicks case, I still think it would be a good choice even for the ammo cost in the store.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby Pinnacle on Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:23 am

BRIT_in_the_weeds wrote:I bought a Mossberg 500 20g Youth combo for my wife. Good prices this time of year at the big box stores, makes a nice light weight grouse gun for me too 8-) 8-)

That has got to be a lot like the Beretta that you had at the steel shoot that you let me "Try"

That was nothing short of abusive.
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby BRIT_in_the_weeds on Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:55 pm

Was'nt the gun, it was the 3 1/2" heavy goose loads 8-) 8-) :shock: :shock:
Far better it is to dare mighty things...than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat
T.Roosevelt 1899

Just me and the designated settee, in the weeds.8-)
Thread-F.U master Brit Pei Ying
1/ICC ;-) .1/ICC II.;-)
BRIT_in_the_weeds

Postby macphisto on Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:59 pm

I didn't mind those 3.5" shells so much. The semi-auto action eliminates some of the recoil. I'd say 2.75" slugs out of my Mossberg 500 with pistol grip are far more punishing.
macphisto

Postby hammAR on Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:35 pm

macphisto wrote:I didn't mind those 3.5" shells so much. The semi-auto action eliminates some of the recoil. I'd say 2.75" slugs out of my Mossberg 500 with pistol grip are far more punishing.

Did you ever find a wrench?..........or was the rucker?............. :shock:
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Next

Return to Long Guns