Shotguns - shorter length of pull

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Re: Shotguns - shorter length of pull

Postby cmj685 on Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:57 pm

I note that Remington 870 Express Compact now has an adjustable length of pull system.
http://www.remington.com/products/firea ... tguns.aspx
I do not believe in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.
cmj685

Postby jgalt on Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:16 pm

cmj685 wrote:I note that Remington 870 Express Compact now has an adjustable length of pull system.
http://www.remington.com/products/firea ... tguns.aspx

According to the included link, it is only offered in 20 gauge...

EJSG19 wrote:God bless her though, she seems to want a 12 gauge and not 20. So I'll try my best to accommodate.

I like the idea however - wonder if they'll make it in 12 gauge any time soon...
jgalt

Postby EJSG19 on Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:40 pm

Some others offer user-replaceable recoil pads to modify the LoP without doing anything permanent to the gun. These might be handy as well.

(yes all recoil pads are somewhat user-replaceable)

We have a few more options to keep our eyes out for, but my hopes of finding anything NIB sitting at a gunshop are pretty slim. This kind of thing has "special order" written all over it. I'll consider us lucky if we can find anything new or used with the right dimensions, just to get the feel of it compared to standard size.

Good to start now, to allow time for ordering, before clay season gets going.
EJSG19

"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt."
EJSG19

Postby The_real_ozman on Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:59 pm

Just throw a Knoxx stock on a shotgun and your done as it is just the same as the M4 and adjustable and believe me it will soak up any recoil.
I read other people's emails
The_real_ozman

Postby EJSG19 on Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:02 pm

The_real_ozman wrote:Just throw a Knoxx stock on a shotgun and your done as it is just the same as the M4 and adjustable and believe me it will soak up any recoil.

if they came in pretty Walnut that might be an option.
EJSG19

EJSG19

Postby Belgiboy on Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:17 pm

Hate to be the dissonant note over here, especially when it comes to a Browning Superposed, but they are heavy guns. That is not a big deal when breaking clay birds, but it is when you walk the fields for hours.
Why do you think the shorter LOP is required? I seem to remember her doing very well with your Urika. I think you should consider a longer LOP instead, with your spidermonkey physique.
My 870 Wingmaster has a LOP of 13.75", and I just had a midbead installed on the rib. If I slap on a piece of moleskin on the stock it will probably be perfect for my wife.
I have a Colt Python and you don't so what do I care...

Mom, Dad.... I'm Gaelic

http://www.zazzle.com/belgiboy/gifts
Belgiboy

Postby EJSG19 on Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:28 pm

Belgiboy wrote:Hate to be the dissonant note over here, especially when it comes to a Browning Superposed, but they are heavy guns. That is not a big deal when breaking clay birds, but it is when you walk the fields for hours.
Why do you think the shorter LOP is required? I seem to remember her doing very well with your Urika. I think you should consider a longer LOP instead, with your spidermonkey physique.
My 870 Wingmaster has a LOP of 13.75", and I just had a midbead installed on the rib. If I slap on a piece of moleskin on the stock it will probably be perfect for my wife.

These are criteria based on what she has said makes a comfortable shotgun for her. My 391 she can handle quite well, but when shouldering shorter stocked guns she likes how they shoulder a bit better. The Urika and longer guns make her feel like its a bit of a reach. Browning bps pumps come to mind. Even for me, my bps feels like a reach. I adore the Urika for carrying all day, and it puts birds down really well, even though I bet a stock fitter would laugh at me when he saw my size and the size of the gun I carry.

Probably the best answer would be to find the identical gun and fit the stock, to her. Then we'd have interchangeable parts :) She does like the Urika, I just haven't seen them with shorter stocks from the factory.

So that is not out of the question. Browning Silver's come in Micro form, that are also a bit shorter. We'll see what she decides she likes and go from there.
EJSG19

EJSG19

Postby Belgiboy on Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:54 pm

We'll see what she decides she likes and go from there

Smart man. And if you guys decide that some stockwork is needed, I can recommend Kirk King from Minnetonka Gunsmithing. He's a very good shotgun smith and will help you get the perfect dimensions before cutting into the stock. I can only imagine how D. will shoot with a stock that actually fits... :shock: Better get my game on.

Mom, Dad.... I'm Gaelic

Belgiboy

Postby EJSG19 on Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:57 pm

Belgiboy wrote:
We'll see what she decides she likes and go from there

Smart man. And if you guys decide that some stockwork is needed, I can recommend Kirk King from Minnetonka Gunsmithing. He's a very good shotgun smith and will help you get the perfect dimensions before cutting into the stock. I can only imagine how D. will shoot with a stock that actually fits... :shock: Better get my game on.

Yup, part of me wants to put some huge old blackpowder shotgun in her hands that is about 6 feet long.

Then maybe I have a chance at out scoring her on the trap range this summer. Barring that, I'm in trouble.

Thanks for the stock fitter recommendation, that was my next question.
EJSG19

EJSG19

Postby Belgiboy on Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:46 pm

Mom, Dad.... I'm Gaelic

Belgiboy

Postby EJSG19 on Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:18 pm

ok, sold.

hope that remodel comes with a guest room. we'll have to move in with you guys.
EJSG19

EJSG19

Postby 1911fan on Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:45 am

Belgiboy wrote:Hate to be the dissonant note over here, especially when it comes to a Browning Superposed, but they are heavy guns. That is not a big deal when breaking clay birds, but it is when you walk the fields for hours.

Superposed can be heavy in the trap grades, but the field grades are not that heavy and carry exceptionally well, plus they have a rounded body that carries in the hand or over the shoulder without digging in, like many others.
1911fan

Postby JoeH on Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:01 am

Just wondering why you are not considering a 20 gauge. I'm not sure if you have hunted behind a good pointer but a 20ga is all either of you will need.
Joe
Not a Glock Certified Armorer
JoeH

Postby EJSG19 on Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:12 am

JoeH wrote:Just wondering why you are not considering a 20 gauge. I'm not sure if you have hunted behind a good pointer but a 20ga is all either of you will need.

12 ga is just more pellets in the air for breaking clays. It does have a tendancy to tear up the real birds a little too much if you hit them hard at close range, I'll agree with you there. But I think that can be tempered a little bit with what choke tube you choose to run, and how heavy the loads are that you are shooting. Not to be cocky with my shotgun abilities, but I tend to let them get a little further out before I shoot them if I have a good shot at them. It is a shame to have a bird already quartered before it hits the ground.

Nothing wrong with 20, in fact I think it adds a certain amount of skill required to the hunt. 12 is just a little more advantageous for trap shooting, which she is saying she'd like to join a league next summer, so trying to give her the best thing for breaking clays, as well as dropping birds. If we could buy several shotuns right now, I'd get a 20 for sure. 20 definitely has it's bright points.

Hoping our dog does turn out to be a good pointer, as that makes bird hunting so much more fun, but we'll see how he does in training this summer.
EJSG19

EJSG19

Previous

Return to Long Guns