What does everyone shoot?

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Re: What does everyone shoot?

Postby Srigs on Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:05 am

DeanC wrote:
Rem700 wrote:Isnt there something about the location of the slide release on the 870.

The Rem870 slide release is in front of the trigger guard, the Moss500 is behind it. IDK if there is any particular advantage to either. You don't have to change your grip on the stock of the Moss500 to release the slide. Maybe that is a plus.

I think it is a plus not to have to move your hand at all.
Srigs,

http://www.sideguardholsters.com
http://www.sideguardholsters.com/blog

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.
Srigs

Postby Thor on Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:44 pm

I have five shotguns, a Winchester Super X2 w/ a rifled slug barrel (12Ga), a Winchester 120 w/ a slug barrel (12 Ga) , a Saiga .410, a Charles Daley Semi-auto with modified choke, and a Marlin .410 lever gun
Thor

Postby mostly- on Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:36 pm

With my mossy - with the ati folding stock, I have to go though some finger controtions to reach the slide release.

Note that if you are looking at a 500... If you get the high cap tube - forget about an aftermarket barrel. I just dropped $130 odd bucks to have a screw in choke fitted and then they suggested only using extended chokes due to the location of the lock down lug near the end of the barrel. Then if you are looking at a 500 - be sure to look at a 590 also. The 590 includes a non-plastic safety as well as a non-plastic trigger guard - also it's parkerized, and the tube is open ended for simpler straight though cleaning.
But, I don't think you can get as high of capcity on the 590.

I also have a 12 ga Sears something - with a vaiable choke that I use as my "respectable" hunting shotgun. I keep looking at some sweet over and unders, but I have this afliction right now... Pistols and EBR... I'm sure some of you are familar with it.

Mostly-
mostly-

Postby ChillyW on Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:27 pm

Lots of pump guns, a few semi-autos, a couple of side-by-sides, and one over-under. That's what I saw from scanning all your posts anyway.
So let's add another o/u to the mix. I shoot a Browning Citori 12 gauge. I mostly shoot trap with it, but enjoy an occasional round of shorting clays.

You guys can talk all day about the good and the bad points about the various guns, but the good ol' break-action has something that none of the others have; a built-in way to carry the gun hands-free. Just break it open and throw it on your shoulder and you're good to go.
ChillyW

Postby nyffman on Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:59 am

The first shotgun I used was a Stevens 20ga side by side. It was a borrowed gun. Since it was obvious, in spite of my Dad's complete lack of interest, that I was going to be a hunter, I got a used JC Higgins 12ga semi auto for Christmas that year. It didn't like my reloaded shells so I traded it for the Stevens 12ga side by side that I still have today. The only addition since then is the 20ga Stevens.
our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Postby 1911fan on Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:41 pm

I forgot to add my daughter has a Rizzini that she worked for, its a very nice, italian gun from a maker who in my mind at least, equals Beretta in quality with less $$ . its a Rizzini B which is a far cry from the F.lli Rizzini's, those start at 105K euro's

also next on the list is a new CZ canvas back, a 600 dollar OU that is really well made. someone had one out at the horse and hunt club a couple of weeks ago and I was really impressed with it for starter OU. it was not at all clubby in the hands nor chunky looking like so may cheaper OU's.
1911fan

Postby Pat on Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:22 pm

After a bit of research, I bought a Turkish shotgun last year, a Huglu 12 ga side-by-side. I have seldom been so pleased with a gun, right from the moment I opened the box. You can see the hand fitting and feel the love that went into building this beauty.

With side lock scroll work and a beautifully hand engraved stock, I paid only about $800 for it, brand new. My friends can't believe what a wonderful gun it is, at any price. Comes with three removable chokes for each barrel.

I think CZ USA was importing them at the time. Haven't heard much about them for a year or so...
"Happiness is...finding two olives in your martini when you're hungry." -Johnny Carson
Cardinal Kung Foundation , The Rule of Saint Benedict
Pat

Postby Thor on Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:28 pm

My Charles Daley is a Turkish made gun. MY ONLY problem with it is that I can't find a rifled slug barrel for it. Something about Turkish gun laws. The rifled choke doesn't work very well. I'm sure it'll work just dandy for birds. I haven't had any problem with the overall function of the shotgun, just wasn't quite what I was looking for. Maybe I might take up pheasant hunting this fall and it'll be put to good use. It's not a bad gun for the $200 I paid for it. (It's a semi-auto, too) I wound up buying a Winchester Super X2 with a rifled slug barrel. The Super X2 is my deer gun now.
Thor

Postby Pat on Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:41 pm

My Huglu is pretty much just a pheasant and grouse gun.
"Happiness is...finding two olives in your martini when you're hungry." -Johnny Carson
Cardinal Kung Foundation , The Rule of Saint Benedict
Pat

Postby Greg on Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:54 pm

Mossberg 500 with 18" social, 24" deer barrel and 28" bird barrel
Enfield SMLE rechambered to .410 (It originally shot unnecked .303 brass shot shells...try buying those!)
Remington 870 20 ga youth model (my wifes gun)
Winchester 97 pump with repro trench gun shroud/bayonet mount.
Two cheap break action 20 ga for a project I'm working on.
Diesel Boats and tube radios forever!
Greg

Postby Fast351 on Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:27 am

My first gun is a Winchester 1300. Used for bird hunting and the occasional trap shooting/sporting clays activities:

Pretty plain jane simple.

My home defense/"oh ****, those guys got way too close" shotgun is a recently acquired Rem 870 Home Defense Express Magnum:

Additions include a GG&G 1 point sling mount, a set of Ghost Ring sights, and a hi-vis follower. I have a Troy 1 point padded sling for it which lets me carry it about if need me.

Not much, but enough for me :)
Fast351

Postby DeanC on Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:21 am

CZ = Huglu

The CZ's are really nice. Especially in the smaller bores. The 20 gauge is actually built on a 20 gauge frame, not a 12 gauge so they can be really handy. And the 28 gauge is on a 28 gauge frame instead of a 20.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby MsT on Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:35 pm

Browning BT99 (12 ga) for trap; S&W 1000 (12 ga) for pheasant; use same with slug barrel for deer. I have a Browning 2000 at the lake for woodchuck control (also 12 ga). Looking for a 20 ga.
“It is not the things we do in our lives that we regret – it’s the things we don’t do.” (Randy Pausch)

MCPPA Instructor - http://www.TrainingOptionsLLC.com
NRA Instructor
MN DNR Firearms Safety Instructor
Firearms Academy of Seattle Aug. 2008
MsT

Postby Ramoel on Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:18 pm

I've got an older 12 ga. Browning Citori without the interchangeable chokes, an older 12 ga. Remington 870 and a real old Mossberg (got it when I was 13) 20 ga. bolt action. I normally use the Browning for most of my hunting.
Ron

NRA Life Member
USS Bristol DD857

Everyone dies, some live first...
Ramoel

Postby jac714 on Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:06 am

Mossberg 500 Persuader 8 shot for HD.

Remington Model 11 for birds.
"The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now."

IFIA MCPPA Instructor
DNR FAS Instructor
jac714

PreviousNext

Return to Long Guns