upper reciever question

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

upper reciever question

Postby firefirghter2 on Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:48 pm

Hello,
I found this product on Aimsurplus.com(sorry couldnt figure out how to ge the picture on here) what I would like to know is can I use this upper to bulid a .308?

New DS Arms, Inc. Stripped A3 Flattop Upper Receivers. This forged 7075-T6 A3 AR upper is made to MIL-SPECS and hardcoat anodized black for durability. Featuring machined T marks, M4 feed ramps, smooth finish, and the typical quality materials that DSA is known for. Perfect for upgrading your older A1 or A2 style receiver.
firefirghter2

Re: upper reciever question

Postby JJ on Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:10 pm

Nope
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby firefirghter2 on Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:12 pm

JJH wrote:Nope

How do you tell?
firefirghter2

Postby JJ on Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:13 pm

Its an AR15 upper receiver. A 308 AR platform is an AR10.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby firefirghter2 on Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:15 pm

JJH wrote:Its an AR15 upper receiver. A 308 AR platform is an AR10.

Got ya. Thank you.
firefirghter2

Postby firefirghter2 on Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:10 pm

I also have my eye on a Spikes Tactical stripped lower multi cal-do i need to go with a certain upper or will they all work with that lower?
firefirghter2

Postby JJ on Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:45 pm

Theoretically any AR15 upper will work with any AR15 lower. Some may fit more loose/sloppy than others, but the only way to gaurantee that this won't happen would be a matched set.
JJ

Postby firefirghter2 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:37 pm

Hello All,

I'm in the market for some more parts for my AR15 build. I'm looking for an upper receiver still and I am wanting some view points on which ones are good etc and whether it's better to buy a stripped upper or an assembled one? And where to get a good deal on these? I am on a tight budget so please keep that in mind.

Thank you for your time and comments.
firefirghter2

Re: Re: upper reciever question

Postby snlit3 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:43 pm

firefirghter2 wrote:Hello All,

I'm in the market for some more parts for my AR15 build. I'm looking for an upper receiver still and I am wanting some view points on which ones are good etc and whether it's better to buy a stripped upper or an assembled one? And where to get a good deal on these? I am on a tight budget so please keep that in mind.

Thank you for your time and comments.

With a tight budget I'd buy a complete unit from palmetto state armory.
snlit3

Postby Anokamnman on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:49 pm

Sota arms does complete uppers for a reasonable price.
Wrap that around your overly muscled left wing and row your dinghy in counterclockwise circles as a result.
Anokamnman

Postby rugersol on Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:50 am

... jest to be clear ... there's 3 basic levels of "assembly" of an upper ...

1. "complete" (includes bbl, handguard, usually BCG ... ready to pin on a lower, and shoot!)
2. "assembled" (has ejection port cover installed, and forward-assist, if so equipped ... otherwise, as "stripped")
3. "stripped" (no bbl, no handguard, no BCG, no ejection port cover, no forward assist ... nothing!)

Lately, BCG's and "assembled" uppers have been quite rare!

Ya can usually still buy a "nickel-boron" BCG fer over $200 ... but most don't wanna spend that much!

A quick check shows Palmetto's got a mil-spec BCG fer $140, in-stock ... http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/upper-parts/bolt-carrier-groups/m16-bolt-carrier-group.html ... if ya don't intend to buy a "complete" upper, and don't otherwise wanna spend more than $140, I'd order that as ya read this! :?

I'd prefer to buy an "assembled" upper ... only 'cause, by the time ya otherwise buy a forward-assist assembly, ejection-port cover, and parts ... it ends up costing the same ... only now ya gotta pin the forward-assist ... not a huge problem ... but again, for the same money, I prefer the "assembled" ... if available! I'd make sure ya can either ACTUALLY purchase the upper receiver ya want ... and if it's not "assembled", a forward-assist assembly, as well! (if so equipped) ... presumably, there'd be almost no problem getting an ejection-port cover, and parts?!

If ya wanna put together an upper, cheap ... I think yer SOL! ... parts are jest too hard to come by!

At which, a really good option is to buy a "complete" upper!

This is a purdy good upper ... it'll do most anything ya could ever want it to ... http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/complete-uppers/psa-16-hammer-forged-midlength-upperpper.html ...

It's $400 ... and if ya can get that PSA BCG 'fore it's sold out, that brings yer total to $540 ... ready to shoot!

If it were me, I'd add the $130 YHM handguard with the lo-pro gas-block ... ya'd have a hard time findin' a nice handguard fer much less, anyhow! ... lo-pro gas-block is usually $30 'er so, anyhow! ... that's a really good deal! ... that puts yer total at $670 ... but unless ya got yer heart set on another free-float handguard, there's almost nothin' ya'd ever wanna change on it!

Ya could go w/o the YHM handguard ... but then they'll put the A2 gas-block on there ... and that's gonna be a pain to get off again, if ya ever wanna go free-float!
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby firefirghter2 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:27 pm

I would like to thank you all for your input on this matter. Is there anyone on here selling any uppers for assemblies? Let me know thank you.
firefirghter2

Postby Lunchbox on Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:45 pm

firefirghter2 wrote:I would like to thank you all for your input on this matter. Is there anyone on here selling any uppers for assemblies? Let me know thank you.

If you haven't already get ahold of walstein. Good guy to deal with an has an upper for sale right now.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=34549

At this point in time it looks like it's still for sale.
"Time is the best teacher, but unfortunately, it kills all of its students" - Robin Williams
"You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington." - Ash Williams
Lunchbox

Return to Long Guns