Did Anyone View "Remington Under Fire"?

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Did Anyone View "Remington Under Fire"?

Postby traveler on Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:46 am

Last night (Wednesday, October 20, 2010) on CNBC. I do not trust CNBC, but the hour-long program certainly discourages me from ever thinking about buying a 700 Remington.
Mihi ignosce. Cum homine de cane debeo congredi.
traveler

Re: Did Anyone View "Remington Under Fire"?

Postby DeanC on Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:07 pm

CNBC documentaries are actually pretty good. It's funny the allergic reaction people have to it because they see the "NBC". It's one of the most pro-business channels out there.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby chudrockz on Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:18 pm

I caught a bit right at the end of it, but I was already half asleep. Seemed pretty interesting.

I don't own a 700 but I admit I've been tempted more than once to aquire one.
chudrockz

Postby Spike on Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:36 pm

Remington has something of a reply on their site: http://www.remington700.tv/
Spike

Postby cmj685 on Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:45 pm

I don't own one, but it is safe to say that tens (if not hundreds) of millions of shots have been fired out of the 700s for decades, and only a couple idiots who pointed the guns at themselves or someone else have been shot. I don't guess they are too big a threat. Indeed, I would be willing to wager all I have that a Remington 700 has never once gone off by itself! Guns aren't the problem, people handling guns stupidly are the problem.
I do not believe in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.
cmj685

Postby Carl_Spackler on Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:28 pm

cmj685 wrote:I don't own one, but it is safe to say that tens (if not hundreds) of millions of shots have been fired out of the 700s for decades, and only a couple idiots who pointed the guns at themselves or someone else have been shot. I don't guess they are too big a threat. Indeed, I would be willing to wager all I have that a Remington 700 has never once gone off by itself! Guns aren't the problem, people handling guns stupidly are the problem.

there have been a thousand reported incidences.....that's right, 'reported.' meaning, there could be an untold number of accidents waiting to happen. yes, there are going to be careless gun owners out there who should've known better than to have the rifle barrel pointed a certain way or have a round in the chamber, but the evidence is pretty damning that the M700 has indeed gone off by itself or by touching the bolt handle. there's video evidence of this. I really wish people would stop defending Remington and their so-called reputation. if there's a problem, then they need to fix it. period. i'm glad this report came out because it now makes me apprehensive about buying a Remington 700 in the future, and the only way I would possibly consider an M700 purchase is if it had considerable work done on it by a reputable gunsmith.

and by the way, let's cut the 'CNBC is biased and part of the evil empire' crap. I'd rather watch a CNBC report with substantive evidence than a 'news channel' like Fox that is nothing more than a mouthpiece for the Right.
Carl_Spackler

Postby macphisto on Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:36 pm

Any gun capable of firing without the trigger being pressed is a serious problem, and a gun I'd rather not own. There seems to be mounting evidence that this is the case with the Remington 700.
macphisto

Postby Stradawhovious on Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:42 pm

Move along....... Nothing to see here....

(deleted by author)
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby Bulldawg on Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:06 pm

Carl_Spackler wrote:i'm glad this report came out because it now makes me apprehensive about buying a Remington 700 in the future

From what I have been reading in another thread...Your old lady won't let you have it anyway...At least not in the house. ;)
Bulldawg

Postby Pezhead on Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:06 pm

To bad there isn't a ring bell smiley.
Pezhead

Postby DeanC on Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:23 pm

<- Thinking some people don't know the difference between CNBC and MSNBC.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby Squib Joe on Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:24 pm

Carl_Spackler wrote:I really wish people would stop defending Remington and their so-called reputation. if there's a problem, then they need to fix it. period.

They did fix it - over 30 years ago. And they continue to provide this modification free of charge on rifles built prior to 1984.

They could have done a story on the Ford Pinto or Jarts, the Lawn Dart Game. It would have been just as topical.
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby Stradawhovious on Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:31 pm

DeanC wrote:<- Thinking some people don't know the difference between CNBC and MSNBC.

Very probable. I've been jacked up on OTC pharmaceuticals all day since I've been sick as hell all week. It's very possible that I read it incorrectly, and just wanted to play SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO bad that I PUI (posted under the influence) and made myself look silly. Certainly wouldn't be the first time.

:?

Definitely won't be the last.

:lol:
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby Dick Unger on Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:44 pm

Squib Joe wrote:
Carl_Spackler wrote:I really wish people would stop defending Remington and their so-called reputation. if there's a problem, then they need to fix it. period.

They did fix it - over 30 years ago. And they continue to provide this modification free of charge on rifles built prior to 1984.

They could have done a story on the Ford Pinto or Jarts, the Lawn Dart Game. It would have been just as topical.

I've got a mid 60's 700. It's a great trigger. If I do the modification will it affect the trigger?
Dick Unger

Postby 45Badger on Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:23 pm

PUBLIC SERVICE OFFER

If ANY of you have clean 700 BDLs in .308, 243, or 30-06 or 700Ps or 700 LTRs in .308 or .223 and are uncomfortable with owning these dangerous weapons, please send me a PM. I'll be happy to take them off your hands at pricing that reflects their inherent danger and risk. Looking for left or right handed guns :D .
Live free, or die!
9mm = .45acp set on "stun"
Big Bullets At Moderate Speeds....Make Things Move
"You look like a tactical lumberjack"
Monschman is a thieving d-bag
.45 ACP - Because Shooting Twice Is Silly!
45Badger

Next

Return to Long Guns