AR question?

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

AR question?

Postby mmarino on Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:16 pm

i know nothing about ARs (nor AKs for that matter) :oops: the only thing i know is that for some reason i feel like i need one... so i need some education here. what do i need to know? what to look for? what to stay away from? eventually i would like to pick up one of each (it just seems like any gun collection should have one of each) i'm thinking an AR first and later on an AK so... share your knowledge with me please ;)
mmarino

Re: AR question?

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:24 pm

Buy lots of ammo. Best advise I can give you as AR's are fun to shoot, you can burn through it fast, and everyone you know will want to shoot it too.... That is my .02.
Holland&Holland

Postby gyrfalcon on Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:24 pm

Blah, just buy one and get a good deal... no matter how much you read or someone tells you, you'll still be a moron when it comes to the various AKs AR's around.
"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
gyrfalcon

Postby hammAR on Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:28 pm

gyrfalcon wrote:..............no matter how much you read or someone tells you, you'll still be a moron.............................

Listen to him, he speaks from personal experience...................... :mrgreen:
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby mmarino on Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:30 pm

.....so what a good deal on an AR?
mmarino

Postby hammAR on Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:34 pm

mmarino wrote:.....so what a good deal on an AR?

IF you are serious, this is one hell of a deal for a shooter: Help me buy new pads - price reduced

:cheers:
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby mmarino on Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:46 pm

I'm just not ready to buy yet, i figure i should probably learn something about them before buying one.
mmarino

Postby gyrfalcon on Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:51 pm

mmarino wrote:I'm just not ready to buy yet, i figure i should probably learn something about them before buying one.

Plenty of reference books and other information available for a lifetime of reading when it comes to either weapon. You could be a Marine corp armorer and still not really scratch the surface of the variety and technicalities of the AR/M16 platform.
"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
gyrfalcon

Postby FirearmFan on Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:28 am

Both are extremely fun and you should definitely get both at some point. They are my two favorite long guns.

FirearmFan

Postby carver952 on Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:20 am

mmarino wrote:.....so what a good deal on an AR?

I've had good experience with dpms Defense Procurement Manufacturing Services St Cloud MN
Full size: http://www.dpmsinc.com/firearms/firearm.aspx?id=32
M4 carbine: http://www.dpmsinc.com/firearms/firearm.aspx?id=36
The best price I've seen is around $750 for good condition used with two mags.
Note: The 1/9 twist (55-69gr) is a compromise between 1/12 varmint (36-50gr) and 1/7 match (73-80gr)
Last edited by carver952 on Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
carver952

Postby Hammer99... on Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:36 am

As far as ARs go. Word to the wise…. I wanted one. Now I have four.

I have an RRA, Colt, DPMS and FrankenAR. But you can get a brand new del-ton for $750. And if you can do it yourself or know somebody who can you can build a brand new del-ton for $585. Plus shipping and Transfer of course. I have a feeling the next time I have 585 bucks sittin around I'm gona get one. But I really want a Bravo Company. But I really need an M&P 15-22.

http://www.del-ton.com/
I love it when a plan comes together!
Hammer99...

Postby Shipyard on Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:10 am

i think you can still order up a double star ar from http://www.budsgunshop.com for under $650 cash price delivered. hook up a $20 transfer from thunderjohn and you're into a basic AR platform at a really affordable price.

i would reccomend a 1:9 barrel twist to run a ton of cheapie ammo through. i would doubt you'll be buying match grade by the case on this project :D

top it off with one of the lucid red dots that globeflyer has in the accessories section for a steal of a price and you have a great urban/zombie set up.

unless you're shooting long range precision or you're into uber tactical money pits - pretty much any brand is going to work for your purposes of punching paper and being prepared for the apocolypse. there are exceptions, and in this regard google is your friend.

i've owned several DPMS and a couple RRA. great rifles, never had any issues. i currently rock a bushmaster predator. love it. just a touch more $$ than the double star though :D
i do what i can, where i'm needed, and i ask so little in return. i'm a true humanitarian fueled by rainbows and whiskey. you should be so lucky to know me...

Shipyard wrote:no kidding. that guy gets banned from here more than i quit this place :lol:
Shipyard

Postby forcefed on Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:39 am

If you know where to look you can get pretty cheap parts. I built a FrankenAR for $430
forcefed

Postby plink on Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:37 pm

I'm loving my AK (wasr10) It's the single stack version, but for what I saved on buying the 10 rounder I can buy a dremel. With all the possible problems they CAN come with I don't think I'd buy one online. Romanian mailorder bride sorta thing, you gotta see her in person first to make sure she's got all her teeth and her parts are in order before giving the OK.
plink

Postby Inspiribomb on Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:41 pm

mmarino wrote:i know nothing about ARs (nor AKs for that matter) :oops: the only thing i know is that for some reason i feel like i need one... so i need some education here. what do i need to know? what to look for? what to stay away from? eventually i would like to pick up one of each (it just seems like any gun collection should have one of each) i'm thinking an AR first and later on an AK so... share your knowledge with me please ;)

Before I built my AR I was daunted by the massive amount of info and had no idea what any of the parts were. After spending close to 100 hours of reading on ARF.com, Brownells, etc, I finally began to feel like I had some idea of how they work, what to look for, and what I wanted. I recommend doing a ton of reading.

My AR cost me ~$1700 to build, but I went with a Bravo Company barrel and BCG, and Troy folding BUIS. This is one of my favorite guns to shoot. There is a good reason why they call it the black rifle disease...
Aaron
Inspiribomb

Next

Return to Long Guns