Your opinion!

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Your opinion!

Postby sochr000 on Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:01 am

I have decided it's new gun time! After a couple weeks of thought I'm leaning towards a Marlin 1894C (18.5" .357 Mag lever gun). Nothing I've seen on MNGT has been negative, but hey, what's another thread asking the same question?

So, those of you who have this rifle or something else from the Marlin 1894 series, your opinions? I decided to go with the .357 Mag because I have a .357 revolver already, and figure I can limit my calibers.
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
God (From Futurama)

"Sometimes I think war is God's way of teaching us geography."
--Paul Rodriguez
sochr000

Re: Your opinion!

Postby Snowgun on Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:06 am

Lever actions are cool.

Can you get it in a, what do you call it, Mare's leg?
Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

The Way is in training... Do nothing which is not of value. - Miyamato Musashi

One who knows the Self puts death to death. - Upanishads
Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby gyrfalcon on Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:50 am

Might want to bookmark this site: http://www.leverguns.com/articles/Marli ... mation.htm

In particular it has suggestions on how to fix jams.
"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
gyrfalcon

Postby sochr000 on Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:13 am

Snowgun wrote:Lever actions are cool.

Can you get it in a, what do you call it, Mare's leg?

doesn't come stock that way, but give it a couple years...

Also, the main use for this rifle will be (other than looking cool) some deer hunting. A bit under-powered, probably, but the longest shot I'll take with it where I hunt is 40yds, and I figure I've taken deer with a .410 with slugs, as well, I know people who have taken bear with a .357 mag revolver.
God (From Futurama)

--Paul Rodriguez
sochr000

Postby nosualc on Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:40 am

Fine rifle, a lot of fun to shoot.

A .357 is a bit light. You may want to extend your range a little bit in the future. Have you considered the .44Mag? In a factory Marlin it offers little longer barrel (20") and a little more "butt" for deer. When you see that buck of a lifetime at 95 yards, you might be happy to have a little more gun. Still handy and fun.

-nosualc
Beware the fury of an aroused democracy. -Ike
nosualc

Postby rugersol on Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:33 am

I won't say the "Marlin jam" don't exist ... but I've probly put more rounds thru my 1894's than most anyone else who don't run one in SASS (I use a Uberti '73, now ... but that's like goin' from a CZ 75 to an SV Infinity) ... and I ain't never encountered the problem, myself.

Moreover, when faced with the prospect of needing a .40+ levergun for SASS Wild Bunch, as my '73's a .357/.38, I grabbed my 1894 .44, again.

I don't "love" Marlin, as a company ... I think they could improve their customer service, and be a bit more flexible in their product-line/parts. But for the money (presuming they still go for $400 - $500), I don't think anyone else comes close.

The "same caliber" thing is wholly unnecessary. Get the .44!

FWIW, IIRC, Uberti makes a .44 magnum '73, now. :shock:
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby gyrfalcon on Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:36 am

ahrens wrote:I won't say the "Marlin jam" don't exist ... but I've probly put more rounds thru my 1894's than most anyone else who don't run one in SASS...

Do you shoot a lot of .38spl? That's what most of the people I've read posting about jams are shooting.
"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
gyrfalcon

Postby Srigs on Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:40 am

I have a Marlin 1894c 357 mag that I love to shoot. I'm always amazed at people who say the 357 is a great man stopper in handguns but in rifles it barely is OK. :roll:

I have deer hunted the last two years with my 1894 with a 4x wide view scope. The first deer (150 lbs) went 10 yards with a 30 yard shot from a deer stand. This years deer (200 lbs) was dropped in its spot at 60 yards. Both times it was one shot with a thumb size hole all the way through.

It is my favorite rifle and is a great northern MN brush gun. I want one in 44 mag and 30-30 so I can have the tri-fecta of Marlin deer guns. Buy one you won't be disappointed. :booyah:
Srigs,

http://www.sideguardholsters.com
http://www.sideguardholsters.com/blog

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.
Srigs

Postby rugersol on Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:55 am

gyrfalcon wrote:
ahrens wrote:I won't say the "Marlin jam" don't exist ... but I've probly put more rounds thru my 1894's than most anyone else who don't run one in SASS...

Do you shoot a lot of .38spl? That's what most of the people I've read posting about jams are shooting.

Nope ... never owned/fired a .357/.38 Marlin. Image

Hmmm ... come to think of it, I never ran .44spl thru mine ... wonder if it's a cartridge-length issue? Image

Nice ****in' gun, man! Dave 'n I used to go up to Nemadji for grouse ... we'd set 'n shoot down trees ... me with my .44 1894 ... that ****er ran, and ran, and ran. Then I shot my first couple years in SASS with it ... ran, and ran, and ran. Sold it to 'nother guy 'cause my wife got me a new one ... he shot it in SASS ... and it ran, and ran, and ran. Never missed, neither ... no matter who shot it ... kinda eerie, actually. Image
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby EJSG19 on Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:07 pm

Belgiboy let me fire his Marlin .357 octagon barrel. What a pleasure to shoot. Besides, the power you gain in a rifle vs. a revolver is very significant.

My '94 in .44 mag (which, come to think of it, you shot a while ago) for example gains something like 400 fps over the same rounds in a revolver. If .357 mag in a revolver will hurt a deer, the same in a rifle will be just fine :)

Been very happy with mine. Easily one of my favorites in my collection. A little blue loctite on the lever's screw, and a sling have been all I've wanted to be done to mine. Think I'd like a peep sight eventually. My eyes have trouble focusing on the factory sights for some reason.
EJSG19

"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt."
EJSG19

Postby sochr000 on Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:20 pm

nosualc wrote:Fine rifle, a lot of fun to shoot.
When you see that buck of a lifetime at 95 yards, you might be happy to have a little more gun. Still handy and fun.

-nosualc

if I have the opportunity to shoot beyond 50yds or so I'll bring my 7mm, but the trees/brush are so thick where I hunt that I didn't set the 40-50yd range, nature did. I'll look into the .44 also, just wanted to get a smaller rifle since where I hunt, the 7mm is getting close to overkill...
God (From Futurama)

--Paul Rodriguez
sochr000

Postby nosualc on Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:51 pm

sochr000 wrote:if I have the opportunity to shoot beyond 50yds or so I'll bring my 7mm, but the trees/brush are so thick where I hunt that I didn't set the 40-50yd range, nature did. I'll look into the .44 also, just wanted to get a smaller rifle since where I hunt, the 7mm is getting close to overkill...

I hear you. I hunt deer in NW Ontario, where almost all the stands we have set are at 50 yds, a couple at just less than a 100 yds. Too darn thick for a leisurely tracking adventure, so I use a short barreled Marlin in .45-70 w/300gr Hornady HPs; I want a big hole going in and an a big hole going out. Eliminates the drama. Kicks like a mule on meth, but it shoots well.

I'd still take a hard look at the .44mag. It's the same rifle with another couple inches of barrel. Still gonna be light/handy. Just a little more butt.

-nosualc
Beware the fury of an aroused democracy. -Ike
nosualc

Return to Long Guns