A second AR upper?

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

A second AR upper?

Postby JeffD on Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:57 pm

I'm looking to possibly build a second upper of a different caliber. What are you thoughts and opinions? I would like to know what you have done and if its worth it. Is it a cheap alternative? Or should I just buy another gun? I was thinking something maybe bigger for deer? I just started to look into this and am looking for help.

Thanks,
Jeff
JeffD

Re: A second AR upper?

Postby EastSideRich on Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:34 pm

I have recently been struggling with the same quandary.
I want something in 6.8 SPC that I can reach out to 5-600 yds for fun and maybe deer at some point.
I've decided to just go ahead and build a whole 'nother rifle.
My decision was based on the following factors:

just have a stock trigger (from an LPK) in my current rifle - I'll replace that eventually, but still with a battle trigger. For longer distance work, I'll want something a little more refined.

No real need for the 5 or 6 positions on my current stock, would like something more akin to a Magpul PRS or an A2 style stock on this one.

I kinda want a matched upper and lower, and to eliminate as much slop as I can from the two - and cuz I really want a matched Mega, Noveske or LaRue upper and lower (wished I'd have thought of this before I started my first rifle)

It's probably going to add about $4-500 to the finished product, but if I'm going to bother with the 6.8 upper, I might as well make the whole rifle worth the cost and effort.

YMMV
ESR

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
- Mark Twain

The government is not your friend!
EastSideRich

Postby Norsesmithy on Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:37 pm

Second uppers beget second ARs.

If you want a Mid Bore, .264 LBC is much more interesting than 6.8 IMO.
Norsesmithy

Postby yuppiejr on Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:56 pm

JeffD wrote:I'm looking to possibly build a second upper of a different caliber. What are you thoughts and opinions? I would like to know what you have done and if its worth it. Is it a cheap alternative? Or should I just buy another gun? I was thinking something maybe bigger for deer? I just started to look into this and am looking for help.

Thanks,
Jeff

Assuming we're talking about calibers that interchange with the same size lower...

What kind of lower setup do you have now? What are the intended purposes of the two upper configurations?

The variables you'll need to make constant for proper ergonomics and safety between the two uppers on a single lower would be the stock size + fit, the trigger group + weight, and likely the sling attachment mechanism. It certainly can and has been done but you'll lose a degree of customization... then again if you get a nice trigger setup that presumably costs $200 over stock you only have to buy it once. IMHO - with the cost of a standard 6-position "build kit" from Palmetto at $100 + a stripped lower at or below $100 you're looking at less than $200 for a complete lower which gives you two complete rifles.
yuppiejr

Postby ScatterGun4015 on Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:01 pm

.50 beowolf
Stradawhovious wrote:
So rather than just being chased by a zombie, you are now being chased by one in that's engulfed in flames? No thanks.

BOOM HEADSHOT!!!!!!!
ScatterGun4015

Postby JoeH on Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:52 pm

300 Blackout
Joe
Not a Glock Certified Armorer
JoeH

Postby DanM on Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:34 pm

Thumper!

http://www.cabelas.com/15-bushmaster-45 ... it-3.shtml

Early reloading discussions for the .450 Bushmaster:
http://www.450bushmaster.net/

More current activity:
http://www.450bushmaster.net/

Enjoy :geek:
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.”
Thomas Jefferson
DanM

Postby Norsesmithy on Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:39 pm

.458 SOCOM.

.45/70 autoloader :twisted:
Norsesmithy

Postby Erud on Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:47 am

EastSideRich wrote:I have recently been struggling with the same quandary.
I want something in 6.8 SPC that I can reach out to 5-600 yds for fun and maybe deer at some point.
I've decided to just go ahead and build a whole 'nother rifle.
My decision was based on the following factors:

just have a stock trigger (from an LPK) in my current rifle - I'll replace that eventually, but still with a battle trigger. For longer distance work, I'll want something a little more refined.

No real need for the 5 or 6 positions on my current stock, would like something more akin to a Magpul PRS or an A2 style stock on this one.

I kinda want a matched upper and lower, and to eliminate as much slop as I can from the two - and cuz I really want a matched Mega, Noveske or LaRue upper and lower (wished I'd have thought of this before I started my first rifle)

It's probably going to add about $4-500 to the finished product, but if I'm going to bother with the 6.8 upper, I might as well make the whole rifle worth the cost and effort.

YMMV

If you want to get out to 5-600 yards, the 6.8 really isn't the right cartridge. It's really not the right cartridge for much of anything, in my opinion. 6.5 Grendel has far superior ballistics, way better selection of available bullets, and Lapua brass - what's not to like?
Erud

Postby JeffD on Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:31 pm

I was intending to do something that i could use the same lower and mags. I currently have a superior arms lower, 6 position stock and a dpms 18" upper assembly. I guess for a little extra I could have a whole other AR. I thought I may be a cheap way to have 2 rifles to play with. I guess I "could" use the 223 for deer but I was thinking I wanted something a little bigger. Lots of options to look at.
JeffD

Postby Erud on Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:54 am

JeffD wrote:I was intending to do something that i could use the same lower and mags. I currently have a superior arms lower, 6 position stock and a dpms 18" upper assembly. I guess for a little extra I could have a whole other AR. I thought I may be a cheap way to have 2 rifles to play with. I guess I "could" use the 223 for deer but I was thinking I wanted something a little bigger. Lots of options to look at.

If you like the lower you already have, a 2nd upper is a good way to save a little cash. Tons of caliber choices out there depending on what exactly you'd like to do. I personally like the 6.5 Grendel round(as mentioned above) and it's very versatile for an AR15-sized cartridge. Good for target shooting and/or hunting from varmints to deer-sized game. I shoot the 6mm AR Turbo 40 Improved cartridge(6.5 grendel case necked down to 6mm, then shoulder blown out to 40 degree angle) for NRA HP matches. It is an excellent cartridge and shoots lights-out all the way to 1000 yards but it is a little more complicated than most would want to deal with. I have also owned and shot the .50 Beowulf and while it was a ton of fun to shoot, I didn't have any real use for it and ended up selling it. Out to about 200 yards or so, you could drop anything alive with one. Past 200 it really drops fast. I've shot some pistol caliber uppers but never really saw the point to those either unless you are in some kind of line of work where you carry one and need to be concerned with over-penetration issues.
Erud

Return to Long Guns