Grumpy guy makes shooting less fun.

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Re: Grumpy guy makes shooting less fun.

Postby rugersol on Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:29 am

xd ED wrote:
tman wrote:The behavior against grumpy guy was WAY passive-aggressive.

I think you would have more respect if you just told him thanks for his concern and have a nice day.

Treating people poorly. does not make up for being treated poorly.

You just committed the gun range equivalent of road rage.

Yep;
Someone tailgates you, so you pull over, let them pass, and commence to tailgate them....

... or slow down a bit ... speed up to limit passing opportunities ... God forbid he get around ya!
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby 45Badger on Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:46 am

Or just maintain 3-5mph below the limit in the left lane. And be offended when you get passed on the right.

On the original topic, the OPs buddy seems like a passive aggressive narcissistic tool. The "offending" shooter asked politely with an explanation and gets immature behavior (and hosed by the majority of this crew) in return. Another reason why indoor ranges here basically suck.
Live free, or die!
9mm = .45acp set on "stun"
Big Bullets At Moderate Speeds....Make Things Move
"You look like a tactical lumberjack"
Monschman is a thieving d-bag
.45 ACP - Because Shooting Twice Is Silly!
45Badger

Postby macphisto on Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:50 am

45Badger wrote:On the original topic, the OPs buddy seems like a passive aggressive narcissistic tool.

Cuda66's buddy, NOT the OP's.

45Badger wrote:Another reason why indoor ranges here basically suck.

Bye?
macphisto

Postby rugersol on Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:11 am

45Badger wrote:Another reason why indoor ranges here basically suck.

I don't know 'bout that!

I don't go very often ... mostly in the winter ... aside from getting screamed at by some range Nazi at Bill's fer "shooting too fast" :roll: ... most folks shootin' are quite polite.

Couple times I've said somethin' about keepin' the muzzle downrange ... helped some woman keep her weak-hand thumb from gettin' bloodied ... and they all took it well 'nuff!

In fact, I'd go so far as to say the folks at the indoor ranges are much more polite than some of the "members" ya sometimes otherwise encounter at the outdoor ranges! Image

To be fair, even there, still lots of folks plenty polite!
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby mnmike59 on Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:25 am

[quote="rugersol"
In fact, I'd go so far as to say the folks at the indoor ranges are much more polite than some of the "members" ya sometimes otherwise encounter at the outdoor ranges! Image

To be fair, even there, still lots of folks plenty polite![/quote]

Agreed, once in a great while you run across the "GRUMPY OLD GUY". Maybe he shot too many rounds without hearing protection early in life and it affected his judgement of his surroundings? :lol:
I have a habit of going out of my way to be polite and helpful to others at the range. Your best foot forward so to speak. I have never had a problem with "GRUMPY OLD GUY" after that approach.
"Just remember boys, this is America. Just because you get more votes it doesn't mean you win."
Fox Mulder.
mnmike59

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:57 am

I had my own Grumpy Guy experience last year. A buddy of mine just bought a new rifle he was taking on an African Safari and needed to get the scope kinda dialed in so he wouldn't waste time when he got there. Anyway, I'm shooting away at the bench and he goes to the truck to continue unloading his stuff when a guy in a pick up flys into the lot behind the range, slams on the brakes to a skidding stop and starts screaming at us about people getting killed and have some common sense etc etc. I guess my buddy had placed his rifle case on an adjacent bench that was pulled back from the firing line and had unzipped the case enough to look at the scope mounts etc. I guess I need to brush up on the rules, but technically I don't think he was doing anything wrong - if he had completely uncased the rifle and loaded it behind the line I could see the concern. There were 3 other guys out there and they were even scratching their heads as to what the guy was talking about.

The fact that he had a problem with something we were doing was OK, I'm happy to have the conversation and to have someone come over to reiterate a rule or whatever, but the attitude and the tone were waaaayyy out of line. At 43 years old (at the time) I was not accustomed to be yelled at like a 5 year old. We didn't retaliate in any way, said we were sorry (for what, we weren't sure since he never did say what it was he had a problem with) and he peeled out of the lot like a fugitie. We finished our business and moved on.

That has sort of soured me of going back and I belong to the Club. I just don't want to be hassled or feel like my every move is being scrutinized and if I screw up I'm going to get yelled at like kid. If I felt like others there would understand and respect me enough to talk with me about the rules or something they saw me do incorrectly, I'd be more apt to use the place. Its almost like some members don't want you to be there so they can have the place to themselves. They run everyone else off. I guess it has worked.

Here's a message to the Grumpy people out there. Grumpy people who don't have the patience to explain their concerns should keep their mouths shut - if there is a teachable moment, use it to educate someone. If all you do is sceam, yell or try to impose your will on people without a dialog, it only comes across as grumpy and crazy.

I don't agree that the guy at the range trying to sight in his .22 was a grumpy guy - seems he made a reasonable request and when not honored, he tried his best to work with what he had. Retaliation for that request was wrong. Civility and thoughtfulness seem to be dead in this society.

The guy at the range who was bent out of shape for moving the benches was grumpy and should have been quietly and calmly told to go stand in the cormer and mumble to himself. Just because the believes that the universe he lives in should never be altered beyond his opinion, as long as it isn't against the rules, he needs to hold his tongue. The fact that these people never encounter sufficient dialog to challenge their beliefs is the reason they continue to push people around - they get away with it.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Bitter Bastard on Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:17 am

Cuda66 wrote:We suggest he move. He syas he likes that particular lane, the light is better... :roll:

From Cuda66's post, they suggested the guy move. He didn't want to. Since he decided to stay, it's now GG's own decision to try to shoot next to other shooters. Screw GG. Way too many Grumpy Guys around even if they are a minority it is almost guaranteed to run into one every range trip, or at least every other range trip.
Bitter Bastard

Postby cobb on Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:07 pm

Bitter Bastard wrote:
Cuda66 wrote:We suggest he move. He syas he likes that particular lane, the light is better... :roll:

From Cuda66's post, they suggested the guy move. He didn't want to. Since he decided to stay, it's now GG's own decision to try to shoot next to other shooters. Screw GG. Way too many Grumpy Guys around even if they are a minority it is almost guaranteed to run into one every range trip, or at least every other range trip.

So again to my original observation.
Cuda66 wrote:GG sets up to sight in. My buddy walks back, pulls out a new case...containing a 4" .500. Waits for as GG is about to take a shot.

It was like a bomb went off. Muzzle flash extended well into GG's lane.

You condone this?
GG deserved this?
As far as who was the most unethical as far as range manners, I think the above quote clearly defines the winner. :roll:
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby Heffay on Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:38 pm

cobb wrote:
Cuda66 wrote:GG sets up to sight in. My buddy walks back, pulls out a new case...containing a 4" .500. Waits for as GG is about to take a shot.

You condone this?
GG deserved this?
As far as who was the most unethical as far as range manners, I think the above quote clearly defines the winner. :roll:

There are no winners when everyone there was a loser.
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby hammAR on Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:49 pm

Heffay wrote:
cobb wrote:

You condone this?
GG deserved this?

There are no winners when everyone there was a loser.

Really.............
ever consider that there are differing degrees of losers........
like when two tigers fight, one dies and the other gets mauled.......
which looser would you want to be................

"GRUMPY OLD GUY"............... :cheers:
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby jgalt on Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:09 pm

hammAR wrote:
Heffay wrote:There are no winners when everyone there was a loser.

Really.............
ever consider that there are differing degrees of losers........
like when two tigers fight, one dies and the other gets mauled.......
which looser would you want to be................

"GRUMPY OLD GUY"............... :cheers:

Aww c'mon, don't be so hard on yourself - you're just grumpy, you're not old... 8-)
jgalt

Previous

Return to Long Guns