Grumpy guy makes shooting less fun.

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Grumpy guy makes shooting less fun.

Postby Scott Notaeh on Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:39 pm

Went to the range again today. As usual we moved one of the seven shooting benches to the side on the rifle range so we could shoot from positions. For the first hour we were the only ones there and my wife, son and I had a great time shooting. Next, a group of three friendly hunters came and were using two benches.

Then comes the grumpy old guy. He goes over to my wife and son who are shooting 22lr at 25 yards prone and tells them that if the benches were meant to be moved they would have been on wheels. I go over and he tells me we need to move our stuff and put the bench back loud enough for one of the hunter guys to come down and tell the guy that the club has no issue with us shooting prone there. Grumpy guy suggests we shoot from in front if the firing line!

Grumpy guy just keeps saying we need to put the bench back and I could tell he had all day so we put it back and moved our stuff to the side and shot from the side but that put us behind a little hill so we couldn't see our targets very well through the long grass on the side of the range. Son said he didn't want to shoot anymore (who can blame him ) but my wife and i continued to shoot. The grumpy guy sat next to us watching us most if the time. We were not sure why but would guess he was looking for safety issues but we are very safe with muzzle control and even use chamber flags when not shooting.

Later he came over and said that we should ask that they put a concrete pad in where we were shooting prone. I explained that the grass was fine and better than concrete if we could see.
Scott Notaeh

Re: Grumpy guy makes shooting less fun.

Postby macphisto on Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:22 pm

I'd thank him for his concern the first time. After that, I'd tell him to get ******.
macphisto

Postby Snowgun on Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:34 pm

let me guess...shooting at oakdale?
Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

The Way is in training... Do nothing which is not of value. - Miyamato Musashi

One who knows the Self puts death to death. - Upanishads
Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby Spike on Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:38 pm

macphisto wrote:I'd thank him for his concern the first time. After that, I'd tell him to get ******.

This! You are a member and have been told that it's OK to move the benches. If he's got a problem he can go find a RO.
Spike

Postby stesch_s10 on Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:38 pm

That just irritates me. Not just the fact that someone had to bitch about what you were doing.. but its the fact that your kid saw the old guy as "yelling" at him / he was getting in trouble and he said he didn't want to shoot anymore. I'd be afraid that my kid wouldn't want to go back to the range because some old guy is gonna be there yelling at us.
stesch_s10

Postby Countryfried Frank on Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:39 pm

Grumpy people are harder to hear when the Mrs. is shooting a .300 WinMag.

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.
"Sometimes we have to get really high to see how small we are." - Felix Baumgartner
Countryfried Frank

Postby timwarner on Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:50 pm

Sounds like shooting at Oakdale. Except there's already concrete.

Nothing is worse than going out to shoot with family and having some jackhole mess it up.

I mean, there are worse things, but that's one thing that really sets a guy off.
Tim
USPSA club MN07
http://ipsc.krok.us
timwarner

Postby Cuda66 on Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:53 pm

Buddy of mine was shooting @ Bills Robbinsdale one time when GrumpyGuy (coulda been the same guy, from the sound) comes in, sets up near us, and proceeds to tell us that our rapid firing (occasional double tap & mozambique) will make it dificult for him to sight up his .22 scope. We suggest he move. He syas he likes that particular lane, the light is better... :roll:

GG sets up to sight in. My buddy walks back, pulls out a new case...containing a 4" .500. Waits for as GG is about to take a shot.

It was like a bomb went off. Muzzle flash extended well into GG's lane.

He decided to leave. :D
Cuda66

Postby macphisto on Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:01 pm

Cuda66 wrote:Buddy of mine was shooting @ Bills Robbinsdale one time when GrumpyGuy (coulda been the same guy, from the sound) comes in, sets up near us, and proceeds to tell us that our rapid firing (occasional double tap & mozambique) will make it dificult for him to sight up his .22 scope. We suggest he move. He syas he likes that particular lane, the light is better... :roll:

GG sets up to sight in. My buddy walks back, pulls out a new case...containing a 4" .500. Waits for as GG is about to take a shot.

:lol:

Just excellent!
macphisto

Postby cobb on Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:09 pm

Cuda66 wrote:Buddy of mine was shooting @ Bills Robbinsdale one time when GrumpyGuy (coulda been the same guy, from the sound) comes in, sets up near us, and proceeds to tell us that our rapid firing (occasional double tap & mozambique) will make it dificult for him to sight up his .22 scope. We suggest he move. He syas he likes that particular lane, the light is better... :roll:

Why couldn't you just ignore the GrumpyGuy instead of trying to wreck his day at the range also?
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby macphisto on Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:20 pm

GrumpyGuy gets what GrumpyGuy deserves. Should they not shoot the .500 to avoid offending him? It's a gun range, right? People shoot guns there. Guns go boom, some more than others.
macphisto

Postby cobb on Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:29 pm

macphisto wrote:GrumpyGuy gets what GrumpyGuy deserves. Should they not shoot the .500 to avoid offending him? It's a gun range, right? People shoot guns there. Guns go boom, some more than others.

No, they can share the range and shoot at the same time, both sides need to accept that. But the statement
My buddy walks back, pulls out a new case...containing a 4" .500. Waits for as GG is about to take a shot.

shows that they are trying to wreck the GG's day instead of sharing the range.

Unless I am missing something per your post.
macphisto wrote:GrumpyGuy gets what GrumpyGuy deserves.

What did he deserve and for what?
Last edited by cobb on Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby macphisto on Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:30 pm

^^^ GG? :shock:
macphisto

Postby ttousi on Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:51 pm

Snowgun wrote:let me guess...shooting at oakdale?

couldn't be ........no grass on the 25. That and RSO's would have been on top of it
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby 12smile on Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:14 pm

cobb wrote:

Why couldn't you just ignore the GrumpyGuy instead of trying to wreck his day at the range also?

A Pompous Self-Righteous Ass always deserves a Proper Comeuppance.

If Grumpy Guy had used the word 'Please' or 'if you don't mind' just once I'll be he would have been treated differently.

Dissing begets Dissing
12smile

Next

Return to Long Guns