Crappy Sightron Scopes

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Crappy Sightron Scopes

Postby samginko on Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:17 pm

FNAR heavy 20" barrel, Burris signature Z, Sightron SII Big Sky 3.5-10X42

I have been chasing the zero for six months. First I thought the rings were the problem (Burris signature Z), but I fixed the slipping problem with some rubber cement. Next, I thought the base was loose. So, I bedded the rail and retorqued with locktite. Ammo, I tried WRA, PRVI, Remington match, FGMM, and the best I got was a 4"-5"plate. Next, maybe the shooter, so I had my buddy shoot the rifle (bullseye shooter), still 4"-5" plate (this guy can shoot 2"-3" groupings using iron sights on a FAL). Maybe the gun? Used Burris Fastfire to get 3" groupings. Well I did what I should have done first. Tried a different scope with everything else same.

1" groupings.

Add insult to the injury, the windage knob came off. Called Sightron, told me to mail it in. That was a week ago, no indication they got the scope.
Anyone else deal with sightron scopes?
samginko

Re: Crappy Sightron Scopes

Postby macphisto on Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:35 pm

I think I remember mmcnx2 speaking favorably about them. Maybe you just got a lemon. I hope they take care of you.
macphisto

Postby RAGGED on Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:50 pm

macphisto wrote:I think I remember mmcnx2 speaking favorably about them. Maybe you just got a lemon. I hope they take care of you.

They are known for being very good for the money, many guys that don't want to throw down Nightforce money will run them, most seem to like them.
RAGGED

Postby DeanC on Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:38 pm

Haven't heard anything bad til now. Keep us posted.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby samginko on Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:39 pm

Thanks for the input, I honestly feel better.
samginko

Postby mmcnx2 on Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:44 pm

Yes I have had excellent experience with them. I've never needed rubber cement or any bedding process. Sounds like rings(which i did have some issue with). If you have trouble with the warrently claim let us know. I would be surprised if they don't step up.
mmcnx2

Postby goalie on Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:38 am

Do you have a scope you trust? Once you've dealt with the mounting system, the scope is the next variable to check out. Either try the scope on a rifle you know shoots well, or put a scope you know is reliable and repeatable on the rifle, or both....

Sightron have a pretty decent reputation. If it's the scope, they should fix it.
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby shooter115 on Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:58 pm

Own 4 Sightron's myself and will say for the money they are damn hard to top. Never had a problem with maintaining zero or returning to zero after dialing in elevation and windage for long range shots. They also have a lifetime unconditional warranty so I'm sure they will take care of you if you got a lemon. I've never had to send a scope in, but as a testimant to their customer service: A couple years ago a buddy of mine clipped my range bag with his ATV. Inside the bag was the sunshade for my Sightron SII 4-16 I have mounted on my long range AR. Well it was kinda scrunched so I called up Sightron, explained what happened and asked if I could buy a replacement. The gal working customer service just asked for my address, which I then gave her and then she just said one will be shipped out for you in the next 24 hrs. I was never even asked to pay for the shipping or the sun shade even though it was clearly not their fault in any way. Tell you what, that's customer service. Since then I've bought two more Sightrons.

Send it in if there's something wrong with the scope I'm sure they will make it right with you.
shooter115

Return to Long Guns