What is a.17 HMR really and is it better than 22lr or 22WMR?

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Re: What is a.17 HMR really and is it better than 22lr or 22WMR?

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:16 am

My take on the iron sites is that if you learn the irons everything else makes sense. So many folks come to the range for deer sight in and do not know how to use their sighting system (be it scope or irons). Once one understands how their irons work translating that to the scope is fairly easy I think. If all you have used is a scope and then go to irons you sit there looking at it like it is a foreign lanuage.
Holland&Holland

Postby Joe Camo on Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:27 am

I'll concur with the others on sticking with the .22LR for training and general all-around fun. Heck, with good high velocity ammo like CCI Stingers the .22LR makes a great small varmint round out to 100yds.

The .22WMR and .17HMR are, IMO, dedicated varmint cartridges - not plinkers or trainers (and although its an interesting round, forget about that wierd .17Mach2 all together). What's neat about the WMR is you can find a rather wide variety of ammo these days, from 50gr heavy hitters to zippy 2200+fps 28-30gr rounds to compete with the HMR. That said, I'm still a WMR fan but find it's role (and the HMR's) rather limited; if I need to pop a varmint/predator beyond the Stinger's capabilities of size and distance then I'll get out the .223.

JC
"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." Theodore Roosevelt
Joe Camo

Postby Snowgun on Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:41 am

Joe Camo wrote: (and although its an interesting round, forget about that wierd .17Mach2 all together)
JC

Could you elaborate more on this? Except for the fact that it is slightly more expensive, it looks to me (from the little I've just read) like a superior round...

I could always buy a super cheap 22lr to plink with, but if I wanted to make a nice target/hunting rifle in small caliber, this seems like a valid prospect...

Joe Camo wrote:That said, I'm still a WMR fan but find it's role (and the HMR's) rather limited; if I need to pop a varmint/predator beyond the Stinger's capabilities of size and distance then I'll get out the .223.

This makes a ton of sense to me.
Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

The Way is in training... Do nothing which is not of value. - Miyamato Musashi

One who knows the Self puts death to death. - Upanishads
Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby Stradawhovious on Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:35 am

Snowgun wrote:
Joe Camo wrote: (and although its an interesting round, forget about that wierd .17Mach2 all together)
JC

Could you elaborate more on this? Except for the fact that it is slightly more expensive, it looks to me (from the little I've just read) like a superior round...

I would expect the round to be all but obsolete and extinct in short order and already ammo is really hard to find. This is what talked me out of buying one a year ago when I had a line on a Savage chambered in .17 HM2 for a steal. It hasn't been out that long (introduced in 2004) and there are so many calibers similar to it already that people may be just overlooking it.

It's along the same lines as the .45 GAP. Good in theory, but nobody really gives a ****. :lol:
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby Stradawhovious on Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:37 am

Snowgun wrote:
Joe Camo wrote:That said, I'm still a WMR fan but find it's role (and the HMR's) rather limited; if I need to pop a varmint/predator beyond the Stinger's capabilities of size and distance then I'll get out the .223.

Yes, but lots of the public hunting land in MN requires the use of rimfire only for rifles for small game and varmint. That's where the advantage of the .17 HMR comes into play.
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby RAGGED on Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:43 am

Snowgun wrote:
JC

I could always buy a super cheap 22lr to plink with, but if I wanted to make a nice target/hunting rifle in small caliber, this seems like a valid prospect...

I'm not sure what’s "weird" about the Mach2, its a hoot and you can buy ammo for it in just about any good size store, for tree rats, wabbits, skunks, coons ect there isn't much better, it shoots flat, anyone who shoots 22lr knows a 50 yard zero means holding over for a 100yd shot and the wind is an absolute killer for those ballisticly challenged round nose 22cal bullets, WMR or LR. Also I see all this talk of stingers, sure they pack some speed but they are one of the most in-accurate 22lr rounds I’ve fired, the bulk golden bullets will outshoot them out of just about any day out of any rifle.
To do it right a guy really needs a couple of each, I have a half dozen 22lr’s, a pair of Mach2’s and a pair of HMR’s, wouldn’t have it any other way, but if I had to choose one for the end of time it would be the semi auto Mach2

I wouldn’t worry about open sights, but that’s just me, if it were me I’d get this and call it a day.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... s_id/31196
Then someday this
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... s_id/13241
and lastly
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... s_id/15531

If a semi-auto Mach2 is what you want buy a plain Jane 10/22, toss a Volquartsen Carbon THM bbl on it, a Power Custom Tungsten Bolt handle and enjoy.
RAGGED

Postby Joe Camo on Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:48 pm

I've shot my bro-in-law's Mach2/HM2 and it is a nice accurate little round, but I guess I don't really see the value of it, which is partly mirrored in it's lackluster market acceptance - I would much prefer the 17HMR over it any day, both ballistically and from market availability perspectives, just like I would take the venerable and much more versatile little 22LR over the 22WMR in most cases. That's just my opinion though; if you like the Mach2 that's great, I won't fault you for that - my bro-in-law also loves the Mach2 also. Heck, If I had the space and funds, I'd probably have a rimfire collection like yours too, just with a 22WMR added to the lineup!

As for the Stingers, my limited experience with them is different from yours - I've found their accuracy to be more than acceptable, but then again I highly doubt they're made to match grade specs or QC procedures either. Actually, I'm more than happy shooting Federal Bulk packs for all my 22LR needs!

JC
"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." Theodore Roosevelt
Joe Camo

Postby LarryFlew on Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:09 pm

My 17HMR is also my wife's favorite and my granddaughter's because they can shoot the 100 yard range with very little recoil.
You really can't beat the price of 22LR for plinking but the HMR is more fun :gun:

Probably should also note my rifle came with thousands of rounds of Vmax so the cost of shooting isn't entering into it at this point.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby 45Badger on Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:10 pm

I got Sam a Savage MK2 in 17HMR w/accutrigger. It's a tack-driver.
Live free, or die!
9mm = .45acp set on "stun"
Big Bullets At Moderate Speeds....Make Things Move
"You look like a tactical lumberjack"
Monschman is a thieving d-bag
.45 ACP - Because Shooting Twice Is Silly!
45Badger

Postby SparkyJeff on Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:32 pm

Snowgun wrote:If I was to buy a bolt action, I would get a nice, heavy barrel one, that has the possibility of a scope mount, so that I could take the kids back to grandpa's in Nodak and smoke prairie dogs. Ragged, or whoever, do you have a good suggestion for this? I would probably want to trick it out with a good trigger, a comp (not needed but hey). Is the Cz still a good lead?

IIRC A heavy barrel CZ would be a varmint model, It won't have iron sights, it will have a large fore-end for use on a bench rest or bags. not my thing.
a 453 will have the single set trigger, adjust it any way you like right out of the box, very nice.
Rimfire central has a very dedicated group of CZ owners, look through Sophia's sticky for answers to just about every question regarding CZ rimfires.
I am biased toward CZ, I own a few in .22 and .223, but no .17s. along with many other .22s of different makes and shapes.
I have a little bit of a rimfire obsession, drop me a PM if you want to meet up, bring some ammo, I'll bring some guns.
Jeff
A fight for liberty somewhere, is a fight for liberty everywhere.
SparkyJeff

Postby SparkyJeff on Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:35 pm

FWIW, There is a .17HMR CZ 452 Varmint a Gunstop. Used, with box, Less than 50 rounds through it, 2 magazines, for $425

So, you could save the FFL transfer fee, and get an extra $30 magazine with this one for the price of going through buds
A fight for liberty somewhere, is a fight for liberty everywhere.
SparkyJeff

Postby Viseprints on Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:19 am

Or buy my LNIB CZ 455 American (listed in the ads here) in .17HMR for $375 and no sales tax but with ammo and boresnake. With the 455 you can add a .22 LR barrel for $129 from CZ-USA and have both rifles. In fact, you can get a barrel in .22 WMR for the same rifle as well.
Viseprints

Postby bensdad on Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:43 pm

Viseprints wrote:Or buy my LNIB CZ 455 American (listed in the ads here) in .17HMR for $375 and no sales tax but with ammo and boresnake. With the 455 you can add a .22 LR barrel for $129 from CZ-USA and have both rifles. In fact, you can get a barrel in .22 WMR for the same rifle as well.

Brings up a good point. I bet none of your regular cleaning rods and such fit down a 17.
I got nothin'
bensdad

Postby cobb on Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:32 am

bensdad wrote:Brings up a good point. I bet none of your regular cleaning rods and such fit down a 17.

Nope, need one for a .17, same as if you were shooting a .17 Remington. My cleaning rods for my large center fire rifles will not fit down a .22 bore either, those rods measure .250 in diameter.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Previous

Return to Long Guns