Stamped vs. Milled AK Receiver

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Stamped vs. Milled AK Receiver

Postby GregM on Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:58 am

I see that some Bulgarian AK's come with a stamped receiver and some come with a milled receiver. How much difference does the milled receiver make?

I would guess that it stiffens the rifle and improves accuracy, but is it a difference that an ignorant amateur like me would ever notice?
FLEE IF YOU CAN. FIGHT IF YOU MUST.
GregM

Re: Stamped vs. Milled AK Receiver

Postby Old Dude on Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:47 am

I'm guessing not. Accuracy with any AK is iffy. The ergonomics are not very good for me and I seem to have tendencies rather than groups when I shoot. Mine has a stamped receiver and I don't think I would pay any more for a milled receiver. I have an AR15 I can shoot when I'm looking for more accuracy. I have an AK47 I can shoot when I feel like exercising my sick love for evil guns.
Old Dude

Postby justaguy on Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:05 am

It depends on what you want it for. Do you want it to look pretty and not shoot it to much and is resale an issue? What do you want to spend?

Or do you want a cheaper range gun that you just want to shoot till it dies and don’t care what kind of ammo your putting into it and don’t want to spend much and don’t want to resell it.

Either one you get accuracy wont be that great. That isn’t what they are made for.
WWTNSTKBLD
(What Would The Navy SEALs That Killed Bin Laden Do)
justaguy

Postby Pinnacle on Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:15 am

GregM wrote:I see that some Bulgarian AK's come with a stamped receiver and some come with a milled receiver. How much difference does the milled receiver make?

I would guess that it stiffens the rifle and improves accuracy, but is it a difference that an ignorant amateur like me would ever notice?

An AK is a close in implement - receiver construction makes little difference - it is a perceived durability issue - there are a lot of stampedAK's out there with zillions of rounds through them.

I have a stamped AK and it is fine. It is a blaster and that is about all that it will ever be. It is not a target rifle.

A Milled receiver is nice - but heavy

Ann AK is something that you carry a lot and shoot little.
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby GregM on Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:03 am

If durability is the objective, rather than accuracy, a milled receiver on an AK seems downright frivolous.
GregM

Postby Pinnacle on Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:32 pm

I built a Romanian kit a couple of years ago with a NODAK-SPUD Receiver

Works just fine I have barely shot it more than a couple of hundred rounds - I think that Brit's kid has shot gun that more than I have...

Nice to have an AK - it barely sees the light of day however. Safe Queen
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby Srigs on Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:27 pm

Pinnacle wrote:Nice to have an AK - it barely sees the light of day however. Safe Queen

I could help you with that! Just got back from Sportsman's Guide with ammo for a gun I don't own yet! ;)
Srigs,

http://www.sideguardholsters.com
http://www.sideguardholsters.com/blog

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.
Srigs

Postby TabulaRasa on Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:58 pm

I'll go with a stamped one personally. Easier to find grips and stocks for.
TabulaRasa

Postby Pat on Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:14 pm

TabulaRasa wrote:I'll go with a stamped one personally. Easier to find grips and stocks for.

Yeah, better to just stamp them out...
Passivity is fatal to us. Our goal is to make the enemy passive.
Mao Tse-Tung
"Happiness is...finding two olives in your martini when you're hungry." -Johnny Carson
Cardinal Kung Foundation , The Rule of Saint Benedict
Pat

Postby goalie on Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:26 pm

Well, a stamped run-of-the-mill AK does everything a milled one will do with less weight.

To put it in perspective, people will spend thousands of dollars to lose the weight difference between a stamped and milled AK on their road bikes this summer.

Carry it around all day and you'll know which one you want. If it's full auto or a range/safe queen, go milled.

(edit: to be clear, I am a stamped fan. I carried my rifle a lot more than I shot it in the Corps)
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby DeanC on Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:20 am

As already noted, milled ones are heavier.

There have also been tales of the milled receivers cracking because they have no flex and/or are milled out of crappy commie pot-metal "steel".
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby 1911fan on Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:32 am

I have a bulgy fixed wood and a polish underfold, I frankly think the accuracy thing is based on sights.

With the stamped and less than sturdy dust cover being between you and the rear sight, there is no way to put improved iron sights on the thing. I did shoot one that had a quality red dot on it, and it was pretty easy to get 2 inch groups at 100 yards braced up really good against a door jamb. With the iron sights on mine, 4 inches is as good as I can get, but the sights are really the impediment at that.

There fore, the only benefit to getting one of the milled guns is the option of adding a better rear sight. BUT thats not so easy, its just possible.
1911fan

Postby Ironbear on Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:43 pm

Pinnacle wrote:Nice to have an AK - it barely sees the light of day however. Safe Queen
You called an AK a queen? :shock: Wouldn't it be more of a Safe Peasant, or more properly a Safe Comrade? ;)
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby GregM on Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:59 pm

DeanC wrote:As already noted, milled ones are heavier.

There have also been tales of the milled receivers cracking because they have no flex and/or are milled out of crappy commie pot-metal "steel".

Is there something about the AK's mechanics that generates that kind of torque or shear?
GregM

Postby DeanC on Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:03 pm

GregM wrote:Is there something about the AK's mechanics that generates that kind of torque or shear?

I don't know, I'm just feeding the rumor "mill".
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Return to Long Guns