What's the best rifle to SBR and why?

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Postby JoeH on Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:36 pm

I'm looking for thoughts and ideas on, which rifle is the best to SBR and why?

I think that a pistol caliber carbine makes the most sense. Something like a KRISS or an MP5 would be ideal. The package can be made extremely short with a short barrel. Being a pistol caliber, velocity loss isn't an issue. I believe that these guns were designed for short barrels but only have 16" barrels to comply with the law.
Joe
Not a Glock Certified Armorer
JoeH

Re: What's the best rifle to SBR and why?

Postby rugersol on Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:49 pm

.300 WTF Image
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby White Horseradish on Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:50 pm

P90.

Or, one of those other guns that is nominally a pistol, but rally is just a rifle with the stock hacked off, like AKSU. Me, I'm thinking of SBRing a PPS-43 pistol.
"I have come to kick a** and chew bubblegum." <racks shotgun> "And I'm all out of bubblegum."

--John Nada, "They Live"
White Horseradish

Postby Snowgun on Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:03 pm

My brother is currently making a 9mm AR carbine, and he is going to put one of those (at the moment, legal) stocks on it that essentually bump fires the thing so it goes rapid fire. When he gets done it's gonna be awesome, and very similar to a auto MP5. I hope they don't outlaw the stock before I get to shoot it... ;)
Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

The Way is in training... Do nothing which is not of value. - Miyamato Musashi

One who knows the Self puts death to death. - Upanishads
Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby photogpat on Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:12 pm

Snowgun wrote:My brother is currently making a 9mm AR carbine, and he is going to put one of those (at the moment, legal) stocks on it that essentually bump fires the thing so it goes rapid fire. When he gets done it's gonna be awesome, and very similar to a auto MP5. I hope they don't outlaw the stock before I get to shoot it... ;)

Does he live in MN? He could be the test case! :lol:
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby Snowgun on Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:14 pm

photogpat wrote:
Snowgun wrote:My brother is currently making a 9mm AR carbine, and he is going to put one of those (at the moment, legal) stocks on it that essentually bump fires the thing so it goes rapid fire. When he gets done it's gonna be awesome, and very similar to a auto MP5. I hope they don't outlaw the stock before I get to shoot it... ;)

Does he live in MN? He could be the test case! :lol:

No, Illinois! :o

He is going to possibly move to MN in a year, then flee back to ND where he is allowed to do fun things like put cans on all his rifles. :)
Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

The Way is in training... Do nothing which is not of value. - Miyamato Musashi

One who knows the Self puts death to death. - Upanishads
Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby Keith on Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:39 pm

I have the paperwork for an AR all filled out. Just can't talk myself into spending the extra money right now. I even had the sheriff do a follow up on it asking if I was going to get off my ass and come in so he could sign off on it already. :lol: My plan was to register it as a 9mm (already have it built up in the rifle version) and expand from there. The nice thing about the AR is that you are practically unlimited in calibers after the initial upper. Most other guns you are pretty much stuck with that gun and caliber. With the AR, just slap a different caliber SBR upper on it and go. As long as it's not a "permanent" change.

That being said I would love a Krink. 7.62 or 5.45. Or both. And a MP5 copy. And an Uzi. And a.......well you get the idea. I could see a large stamp collection in my future. I hear they mutiply like bunnies. I'm probably better off not doing it.
Yeah, but I shoot with THIS hand.
Keith

Postby futbol79 on Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:30 pm

For a SBR, don't you need a special $200 permit? I would think that special license is a FLAG for the local enforcement and the ATF if they ever want to check ??
futbol79

Postby Erud on Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:54 pm

JoeH wrote:I'm looking for thoughts and ideas on, which rifle is the best to SBR and why?

I think that a pistol caliber carbine makes the most sense. Something like a KRISS or an MP5 would be ideal. The package can be made extremely short with a short barrel. Being a pistol caliber, velocity loss isn't an issue. I believe that these guns were designed for short barrels but only have 16" barrels to comply with the law.

If it's going to be a pistol caliber and you aren't worried about velocity, why not just get a pistol? :?

Just kidding, I get it. I'd definitely go with an AR platform for the reasons Keith mentioned above.
Erud

Postby jshuberg on Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:43 pm

Another option is to build a Sig 55X SBR. You can either add a fixed or folding AR stock to a P556 pistol, trade the pistol lower for a classic 556 lower and add a Swiss-style folding stock, or spend the cash and build an actual 553 clone.

I built a P556 SBR with ACE folding stock mechanism, Magpul CTR stock, Troy quad rail, and a Noveske KX3. When folded, the total length is 22". A pretty small package for a 5.56mm weapon with a 10.5" barrel. It can also be fired when folded. It shoots around 1.5 MOA @ 100yds. It also accepts standard AR-15 magazines.

If your going to build an SBR, having a folding stock is the way to go.
Last edited by jshuberg on Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby jshuberg on Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:47 pm

Keith wrote:With the AR, just slap a different caliber SBR upper on it and go. As long as it's not a "permanent" change.

BATFE is now requiring that any change in barrel length, overall length, or caliber to an NFA weapon be reported to them in writing, whether it is permanent or not.
NRA Life Member
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby Bitter Bastard on Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:57 pm

jshuberg wrote:BATFE is now requiring that any change in barrel length, overall length, or caliber to an NFA weapon be reported to them in writing, whether it is permanent or not.

As of when? Got a link to their web site about this?
Bitter Bastard

Postby jshuberg on Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:11 pm

I called the NFA branch a couple weeks ago based on something I read in another forum. They confirmed, they are now requiring temporary changes be reported. I'm not sure when this started though.
NRA Life Member
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby spliznat on Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:30 am

I am in the process of doing an SBR to a PPS43.......... Only take an hour to do once paperwork is received
"Grandpa, were you a hero in the war?" Grandpa said, "No... but I served in a company of heroes".
Major Richard Winters
spliznat

Postby UnaStamus on Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:29 am

.300AAC Blackout.
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Next

Return to Long Guns