My new AR15

Postby kowalzekc on Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:15 pm

So here is my new toy and my FIRST AR15
AR-15.JPG

Match grade upper
22" BBL Free float
DPMS lower, 6 position stock
4X16 scope

I already am planning on changing out the stock to either an ACE skeleton or a Advanced Technology Strikeforce Buttstock. I also want to switch to a free float Quad rail hand guard. I am going to go to the range tomorrow and see how she does. I am just shooting cheap 52g ammo at about 50 yards. I will eventually start reloading and figure out what she likes. I am going to try reloading some 90g ammo for *no mocking* deer haunting. I am unsure as to what kind of distances I will be able to accuratly shoot out to and kill paper but I am sure 300 yards isn't out of the question.
Some say that he lives in a tree, and that his sweat can be used to clean precious metals... all we know is, he's called the Stig.
kowalzekc

Re: My new AR15

Postby carver952 on Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:26 pm

69-77 gr may be the largest that can be loaded in a standard mag 2.26”
80gr and above sp might not fit in the magazine
carver952

Postby thunderoussilence on Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:27 pm

Nice
thunderoussilence

Postby shooter115 on Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:26 pm

Congrats on your first AR build. You've now entered the danger zone.....your in danger of constantly being broke due to buying parts for your next AR :lol:

You never gave much info on the barrel, but the weight of bullet you can shoot will depend much on the twist rate. If you're running a 1 in 9" twist you will most likely be limited to 60-70 grain bullets max, but this all depends on the individual barrel. In a 1:9 twist barrel I've had the best luck with 50-55 grain bullets. I've had decent results with 82gr Bergers in my 1 in 7.7 twist barrel, but the 70gr bullets still shoot best in that. 90 grains might be a stretch.

For the fore-end I wouldn't bother with the quad rail unless you're just going for the tacti-cool look. What could you possibly be bolting to the front end of a rifle like this? If you want to add a bi-pod your much better off with the round one you have now.
shooter115

Postby Erud on Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:16 am

Congrats on the rifle. AR's are great and probably the most versatile platform on the planet. As stated above, 90 grain bullets will be a single-shot only proposition due to OAL, and your barrel will most likely not stabilize them unless its a 7-twist or faster. I am also guessing that you will not like your scope mounted that way, as you will need to have your cheek at about the back of he buttstock to get proper eye relief, particularly at 16x. Look for a cantilever-type mount that will get the scope out front more(a lot more) without adding too much height. I have found that with a higher magnification scope on an AR, the ocular lens generally needs to be pretty much lined up with the CH to get proper eye relief and head position. Think about where your head would be if you were shooting the rifle with iron sights and then he the scope into a position where that head position still works rather than changing your position to work with the scope. It will be more enjoyable to shoot and you will shoot better.

Good luck,
Erik
Erud

Postby Cuda66 on Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:06 am

If you don't have a 1:7 twist barrel, you may want to consider staying away from the 90gr bullets.
Cuda66

Postby kowalzekc on Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:58 am

I am thinking it is a 1:7 twist if I remember correct. I didn't build this one, but did a straight trade. I was considering shifting the scope forward a little because I am on the back of the stock and it is more difficult to get to the charging handle. I do not have much to mount on a rail system so I do agree that there isn't a plethera of reasons to put a quad rail on, but yes the bipod mounting is one reason. Does anyone know where I can get my current one tapped?
Some say that he lives in a tree, and that his sweat can be used to clean precious metals... all we know is, he's called the Stig.
kowalzekc

Postby rugersol on Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:53 am

kowalzekc wrote:I do agree that there isn't a plethera of reasons to put a quad rail on, but yes the bipod mounting is one reason. Does anyone know where I can get my current one tapped?

+1 fer stickin' with the round handguard ... is that a Hogue?

Make sure when they mark the hole fer the stud, that everything's tight! ... if that's a Hogue, there's no "lock ring" ... jest turns tight against the bbl nut ... so if it's a bit loose, and ya ever otherwise tighten it, yer stud'll be off-center. :? Could also be off-center if ya ever chose to put it on 'nother gun, 'er otherwise replace the bbl.

'Nother option'd be to go a double 'er quad-rail gas-block ... then get this ...

I like the gas-blocks with the set-screws. The pinned ones ... well ... they ain't fer the faint of heart. :? If not fer that, replacement is no big trick. Don't look like ya got a comp 'er flash-hider on there ... so ya wouldn't even hafta mess with that.
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby Drizzle on Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:23 pm

You're going to want your nose to touch the charging handle, whatever scope you're running (I'm sure someone will correct me if my experience is limited), so adjust your mounting accordingly.

Good luck with those heavy bullets.
Drizzle

Postby rugersol on Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:32 am

kowalzekc wrote:I was considering shifting the scope forward a little because I am on the back of the stock and it is more difficult to get to the charging handle.

Ya s/b getting a good "cheek weld" with the stock ... the scope should only move, to accommodate where yer eye's at, with a good "check weld" ... no other reason.

That said, if ya got a scope with longer eye-relief, ya may need to use (as was mentioned) a cantilever mount ... I like this one ...

That one also works very nice, even if ya don't need to move the scope forward, but otherwise need more height than yer rings give ya.

That said, if ya end up with more height, and a bit forward, the charging handle s/b less of an issue. Otherwise, ya could get a "tactical" latch ...
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Return to Long Guns