Anyone familiar with the 6.8 SPC

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Postby cobb on Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:05 pm

I guess it is kinda late to ask since I have ordered and it is on it's way. But is anyone here familiar with the 6.8 SPC on an AR platform?
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Re: Anyone familiar with the 6.8 SPC

Postby kowalzekc on Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:58 pm

I would search this one, otherwise you are going to open Pandoras big, dirty, opinionated box. However I do know a TON of people who hunt with this caliber.
Some say that he lives in a tree, and that his sweat can be used to clean precious metals... all we know is, he's called the Stig.
kowalzekc

Postby dshortone on Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:06 am

I'm on my second one (first one was a Model 1 upper, this one is an LWRC M6A3). Shoots great, but haven't gone hunting with it—yet. I dabbled with reloading about 200 rounds a few years back, and having NEVER reloaded before, it turned out better than factory. Just be ready to spend a lot of money on ammo, and get on Silver State Armory's email list so you can get their factory 2nds when they come out.
dshortone

Postby cobb on Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:15 am

dshortone wrote:......get on Silver State Armory's email list so you can get their factory 2nds when they come out.

Thanks!
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING

cobb

Postby MnHornet on Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:20 am

A buddy has a Noveske that shoots nice. Check out the 6.8 forum, lots of info there.
Proud to be Deplorable.
MnHornet

Postby Ken on Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:40 pm

I hunt with an ar in 6.8. I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have.
Ken

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:38 pm

Have a Minni-14 in 6.8. Love it, still working on my optics preferences but plan on hunting with it next fall. It is one of my favorites to shoot fwiw.
Holland&Holland

Postby cobb on Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:42 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:Have a Minni-14 in 6.8. Love it, still working on my optics preferences but plan on hunting with it next fall. It is one of my favorites to shoot fwiw.

I have heard that the Ruger Mini 14 in the 6.8 SPC has been very accurate because of some of the changes that Ruger did compared to their .223. So have you gotten enough trigger time on your Ruger 6.8 to substantiate this?

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING

cobb

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:16 pm

cobb wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:Have a Minni-14 in 6.8. Love it, still working on my optics preferences but plan on hunting with it next fall. It is one of my favorites to shoot fwiw.

I have heard that the Ruger Mini 14 in the 6.8 SPC has been very accurate because of some of the changes that Ruger did compared to their .223. So have you gotten enough trigger time on your Ruger 6.8 to substantiate this?

I would tentitivley say so, though ask me again in a couple months. Intended for my 12 year old to use it for deer season this year. Was getting decent groups when sighting it in but went with a cheap tacti-cool optic, kind of a long story, sorry. Had an optic I wanted to use on it that I had decided not to use on another gun but had a specialty ring so the ruger rings where no good. Bought an adapter rail that worked with ruger, scope eye releif was not workable for my youngster (was fine for me but not for him). found this cheap tacti-cool model that worked on a rail (but did not have any sort of cross bolt peice). Sighted it in. I was just not happy with the mounting as it seemed like there were too many screws and too many parts if you know what I mean but I was able to get quarter size groups at 100 yards so I was thinking good to go. Handed it to the youngster, he was about 3 -4 inch groups. Deer huntable and figured it was youth (though I should have known something was up as he is usually the better shot between my two boys). Was using Hornady match which is a hollow point and what cabella's reccomended for deer though I was not quite trusting that either. Then Hornaday came out with their SST load. I emailed Hornady and they reccomended not using the Match as they do not test it for expansion, so ordered a few boxes of the sst in. Ran to Oakdale to adjust it to the new load. Noticed that the scope seemed to be mounted a bit forward from where I thought I would have mounted it, considering the eye releif issues with the youngster I thought, huh, why did I not mount that farther back? Then it hit me, did it move? Nah, couldn't have. Grabbed some lock tite, remounted it farther back, sighted it in. Nice tight groups, good to go!, Ah, what the heck, lets see what kind of 5 shot group I can get to post on MNguntalk and brag about. Shot it, went down to check, well that group sucked. And you guessed it, went back and looked at my scope, crap, it moved, I am sure of it. So marked it, shot a coule more rounds and yep, was moving forward now at a very obvious 1/8 inch with each shot. Ok, that is not going to work. Did not have time to address before the season, so I switched guns around and left it home. I have since taked that optic off and have a leopold VX2 on back order at Cabelas. So sorry for the long winded response but let me get that scope mounted and verify for sure, but I am very confident that it will be my deer gun this next fall. :D

All that saide, have shot it with the open sights and can tend to get 2 inch groups at 100 which with open sights are about as good as I get.
Holland&Holland

Postby crbutler on Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:29 pm

I have a Barret AR in 6.8. One of the most accurate AR's I have ever shot.

The caliber is good for deer and feral hogs, especially with an accubond bullet. Reloading is really pretty straightforward with it.

The only real issue is which of the chamberings you have it in. They made a modified chamber a while after the round came out. Not an issue that I have, since mine was made before they came up with the minor modifications, and I only have the one gun, but it can play an issue if you have multiple guns and the ammo is not compatible with both (ie pressure issues...)
crbutler

Postby dshortone on Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:44 pm

cobb wrote:I guess it is kinda late to ask since I have ordered and it is on it's way. But is anyone here familiar with the 6.8 SPC on an AR platform?

What did you end up ordering?
dshortone

Postby cobb on Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:47 pm

dshortone wrote:
cobb wrote:I guess it is kinda late to ask since I have ordered and it is on it's way. But is anyone here familiar with the 6.8 SPC on an AR platform?

What did you end up ordering?
Stag Arms model 7 Hunter.

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING

cobb

Postby dshortone on Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:53 pm

Make sure you get the Spec II or Tactical loads! With that longer barrel and the higher velocity of the hotter loads, you've got a VERY nice hunting rifle.
dshortone

Postby cobb on Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:57 pm

-
Here it is just put together on my bench.

Stag Arms model 7 in 6.8 SPC with a Burris Six-X scope which is a 2X-12X with a 30mm tube mounted in a Burris AR PEPR.

Now to get to the range an see what is possible. I have heard nothing but good about the Stag Arms in 6.8 and accuracy. I have some factory fodder to play with, but plan to shoot a few possible handloads. Maybe for deer hunting either the Nosler 110gr Accubond or the Barnes 95gr SSTX and for coyotes maybe the Speer 90gr TNT or even again the Barnes 95gr SSTX.
8-)

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING

cobb

Postby DanM on Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:32 pm

Sweet! It'll be fun to hear what she'll do at the range. :)
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.”
Thomas Jefferson
DanM

Return to Long Guns