Nikon Coyote Special Scope/ AR-15

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Re: Nikon Coyote Special Scope/ AR-15

Postby ali_squidz on Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:48 pm

bman940 wrote:On a side note, at least it wasn't the Coyote Special Scope that was the problem.

I would have to believe somehow it is your ring's/mount's giving you issues Ali.

If not, I wouldn't hesitate to send it back to Manuf. and let them evaluate it. I had to do that a few year's ago with a carbine,
would not group at all. 2-3 shot's maybe, after that 6-9 inches. Just so I was sure they wouldn't send me back the same rig I asked for a
longer barrell. Got it back and all was good, then I sold it and switched brands. As frustrating as this is I think you just need another set of eye's on the problem.
There are those occasional times where there just is no reasonable reason and you will try everythign you can think of and thing's just still won't work.
Remember, this is supposed to be fun, when in doubt, send it back to shop.

I got a new mount and rings this weekend along with the new scope.
I still believe there was something going on with the CS scope. I now got shots in a much tighter grouping when things seem to be working.
I think I need another set of eyes as well. I have already had a couple people watching but only one person shot it other than me and they were no luckier in the matter.
FarmerJ is going to come help me this week hopefully. I have a coyote hunting trip planned for next weekend. I figured I had plenty of time to deal with all this but apparently I didn't.

I talked to teh guy at cabelas and he agreed that there seemed to be something wrong with the nikon. He told me to send it back. I shipped it out saturday.
I am thinking maybe something is wrong with the gun?? maybe something loose? I dont know jack squat about internals on guns.
I find it hard to believe that I am that bad of a shot and when someone else grabs it and does the same thing, then that makes two really bad shots. I am totally open to that being plausible but I need to rule some other things out that I am unable to do on my own.
ali_squidz

Postby Defog on Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:08 pm

Trust your instincts, Ali. Sounds like you've done a lot of this in the past, and that is good. Likely it isn't you. Good luck.
I like my freedom. It came at a high price to many before me, and I will honor them by keeping said freedom intact.

~B
Defog

Postby bman940 on Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:38 pm

I went back to check the component's you put into this build. Who did it for you? I'd be back in touch with that person trying to get them to fix it for you. I don't know what more you can do without dropping some added money on top of it that you really should not be responsible for.
IMHO.
The Coyote Special is not designed around the 55 gr. 3240 fps, the M-223/ P-223 Scope's are. The Coyote Special is designed for use with Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Program. Enter your shooting data and get the corresponding distances for the circles. I use one on my DPMS .223 and .243 with .55 gr. bullets.

Obviously a lot of us are interested in finding out what the end problem is going to be so please keep us posted Ali.
Bart
Nikon Pro Staff
bman940

Postby ali_squidz on Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:47 am

bman940 wrote:I went back to check the component's you put into this build. Who did it for you? I'd be back in touch with that person trying to get them to fix it for you. I don't know what more you can do without dropping some added money on top of it that you really should not be responsible for.
IMHO.
The Coyote Special is not designed around the 55 gr. 3240 fps, the M-223/ P-223 Scope's are. The Coyote Special is designed for use with Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Program. Enter your shooting data and get the corresponding distances for the circles. I use one on my DPMS .223 and .243 with .55 gr. bullets.

Obviously a lot of us are interested in finding out what the end problem is going to be so please keep us posted Ali.
Bart
Nikon Pro Staff

I did the spot on stuff.
A friend of mine built it for me. He builds guns and does a lot of gun smithing for a big shop in town.
ali_squidz

Postby ali_squidz on Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:41 pm

Thank you so much FarmerJ!!!! In about an hour he had me shooting about 2" group at 200 yds? I gotta figure out what I am doing to get the occasional outliers but I have it pretty much dialed in now. As he suggested earlier, I needed to change the weight of the ammo. We went to gander and got 62 grain? and 50 grain. Between that and adjusting the cheek rest, it's pretty dang good now!! Im pleased. Very pleased. I need some practice thursday but hunting is ON! Hopefully I will have some pics for y'all of some great kill shots. Boy that'd make my day. Im now completely amped and ready to go. He gave me some great pointers on turning my toes out, pressing firmly on the cheek rest and writing what number of clicks it takes to get to my happy spot, and not releasing the trigger finger. Sometimes all it takes is someone to take some time out of their day to help another person out. Thank you FarmerJ for doing that. :D
Maybe he will post the pic he took of the target.
ali_squidz

Postby bman940 on Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:53 pm

Amen! Glad it was that easy to fix! Nice to have good friend's like that A.
bman940

Postby ali_squidz on Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:05 pm

bman940 wrote:Amen! Glad it was that easy to fix! Nice to have good friend's like that A.

heck, I never met the guy! I was afraid he might be a crazy but he turned out to be a decent guy willing to help out a stranger. Dont see them kinda folks around much anymore.
ali_squidz

Postby farmerj on Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:33 pm

Ali,

You are most welcome. It was closer to 1 1/2" groups, but I'll let you stick with 2". :booyah:

I can't say it was the ammo as you really needed help with your position. It was likely you had no check weld. When we adjusted the cheek riser up, that gave you your cheek weld you needed to shoot the groups you did.

Trigger reset is something you can work on in the house. Just sit and practice it while watching TV. Charge it, pull the trigger and hold. Charge it, release the trigger till you hear/feel the click, pull the trigger. Practicing your trigger pull too.

There are other things I can teach you sometime to work on those, but that can wait for another time. ;)

Your feet were "wagging in the wind" as we called it. When they move like that, they effect your groups in a bad way. Laying your feet out flat takes that motion out of the equation.

You can likely shoot any of the 50, 55 or 62 gr ammo. My rifle likes the Fiochii 55gr v-max loads. Price value, I like shooting them too.

You have a wonderful rifle set-up there. Glad we were able to get it performing for you. Keep up the hard work, you'll be shooting 1" groups before long.

And boys,

That's 1 1/2" groups at 200 yards too with a 10-15mph 10 o'clock cross wind.

This lady can shoot.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby ali_squidz on Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:57 pm

farmerj wrote:Ali,

You are most welcome. It was closer to 1 1/2" groups, but I'll let you stick with 2". :booyah:

I can't say it was the ammo as you really needed help with your position. It was likely you had no check weld. When we adjusted the cheek riser up, that gave you your cheek weld you needed to shoot the groups you did.

Trigger reset is something you can work on in the house. Just sit and practice it while watching TV. Charge it, pull the trigger and hold. Charge it, release the trigger till you hear/feel the click, pull the trigger. Practicing your trigger pull too.

There are other things I can teach you sometime to work on those, but that can wait for another time. ;)

Your feet were "wagging in the wind" as we called it. When they move like that, they effect your groups in a bad way. Laying your feet out flat takes that motion out of the equation.

You can likely shoot any of the 50, 55 or 62 gr ammo. My rifle likes the Fiochii 55gr v-max loads. Price value, I like shooting them too.

You have a wonderful rifle set-up there. Glad we were able to get it performing for you. Keep up the hard work, you'll be shooting 1" groups before long.

And boys,

That's 1 1/2" groups at 200 yards too with a 10-15mph 10 o'clock cross wind.

This lady can shoot.

1" at 1000 yds right? hahahahahaha!!! awesome tips. I wish it were nicer out so we could have shot more. :D
ali_squidz

Postby farmerj on Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:11 pm

I can see you shooting 1" at 200 yards....

and it would have helped had someone not left all the gloves, hats and other important things sitting at home on the counter where they were put to NOT forget them.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby ali_squidz on Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:16 pm

it happens to the best of us. ;)
ali_squidz

Postby Snowgun on Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:56 pm

Nice work farm! 8-)
Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

The Way is in training... Do nothing which is not of value. - Miyamato Musashi

One who knows the Self puts death to death. - Upanishads
Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby farmerj on Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:58 pm

Snowgun wrote:Nice work farm! 8-)

Sometimes you just need to put boots on the ground.....It was a nice distraction as well. Glad we were able to get her down the right path.

Anxious to see how her practice goes on Thursday night.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Postby justaguy on Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:50 pm

Just what this forum is known for.
WWTNSTKBLD
(What Would The Navy SEALs That Killed Bin Laden Do)
justaguy

Postby Snowgun on Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:40 pm

justaguy wrote:Just what this forum is known for.

Lackin in post count are we big guy? This is the 20th or so useless filler post I've seen today.
Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

The Way is in training... Do nothing which is not of value. - Miyamato Musashi

One who knows the Self puts death to death. - Upanishads
Snowgun
Events Coordinator

PreviousNext

Return to Long Guns