SOTA Arms Uppers?

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Re: SOTA Arms Uppers?

Postby Guncrazy81 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:00 pm

Goodluck on waiting. I have been waiting patiently for a month. Before I ordered, I talked to a guy from sota and he said they have 6.8 uppers available and if I ordered that day i should get it in about 3 weeks. I will be calling them tomorrow.
Guncrazy81

Postby wildfan1 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:17 am

Not sure if this would help anyone or not, but I am an FFL and live in Shafer, about a 15 minute drive from them. I'd be happy to physically drive there and pick your items up if it helps. Only downside is that you'd then have to drive to Shafer to pick it up from me (FFL regs). But should save you shipping cost, and I'm a lot more flexible! Just an option. Granted if you were going to drive here you could just drive there too. But living close I have the luxury of popping in there most anytime.
wildfan1

Postby rugersol on Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:40 am

... jest wanna see if anyone who's ordered from these guys, actually receives 'em. :|

Sounds like 2 - 3 orders? ... no one's got anything yet?
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby tim on Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:15 am

Someone on here posted about them a couple months ago and if I remember right they received theirs as promised and were very happy with it. Try the search function to find the thread.
tim

Postby rugersol on Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:25 am

tim wrote:Someone on here posted about them a couple months ago and if I remember right they received theirs as promised and were very happy with it. Try the search function to find the thread.

If I was placin' an order a couple months ago, I 'spose that'd be fine. ;)
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby Stradawhovious on Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:27 am

I picked one up from the Gun Show about a month ago, and I really like it.

Well built, no issues.
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby Anokamnman on Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:24 pm

I ordered one a couple months ago. Got it in 10 days. Decent upper. Had them replace the bolt. It was eating gas rings. Went thru 2 sets of had rings in 400 rounds. Got the upgraded bolt carrier group and never had a problem since.
Wrap that around your overly muscled left wing and row your dinghy in counterclockwise circles as a result.
Anokamnman

Postby explore on Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:06 pm

I have been trying since April to have them return a call (I told them in April that I wanted an AR flattop). They will never answer the phone and they do not return messages. If you want to actually purchase a firearm and receive it do yourself a favor and pick any other manufacturer. If a company can't bother to give customer service when you are trying to give them money then you will really be sorry down the road if there is ever a problem. Wishing I was shooting right now! :evil:
explore

Postby MNMachinist on Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:28 am

I would stay away from their 7.62x39 Uppers. They currently have issues with the bolts. The hole the firing pin goes into is not deep enough to allow the pin to hit the primer. They are also having problems with lugs shearing off.
I had one of their bolts shear several lugs off after only 400 rounds through the upper.
Word on the internets is that all of their Bolts have this issue.
I know first hand that they do not manufacture their bolts in house, they have another company doing for them and that company is having lots of issues delivering parts on time and that are correct.
MNMachinist

Postby kollector03 on Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:26 am

MNMachinist wrote:I would stay away from their 7.62x39 Uppers. They currently have issues with the bolts. The hole the firing pin goes into is not deep enough to allow the pin to hit the primer. They are also having problems with lugs shearing off.
I had one of their bolts shear several lugs off after only 400 rounds through the upper.
I know first hand that they do not manufacture their bolts in house, they have another company doing for them and that company is having lots of issues delivering parts on time and that are correct.

Is the bolt lug issue limited to their 7.62x39mm bolts or is it with their 5.56x45mm bolts as well?

Any idea who supplies them with their bolts? Recalling issues with DEL-TON on a 7.62x25mm upper that was only resolved by acquiring a FN bolt.

Don
kollector03

Postby engnerdan on Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:31 am

MNMachinist wrote:I would stay away from their 7.62x39 Uppers. They currently have issues with the bolts. The hole the firing pin goes into is not deep enough to allow the pin to hit the primer. They are also having problems with lugs shearing off.

Got any other pictures of the fractures on that bolt? From that picture it does not appear the metal broke due to the stress put on the bolt from the pressure of the round firing. It looks like it maybe slamming into the end of the barrel or the barrel extension.
Seismic Sam wrote:When it launches, the marketing will hit you in the face like the shrapnal from a methane explosion in a 3 holer outhouse!! :P :P :P
engnerdan

Postby Anokamnman on Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:06 pm

Well I have news regarding sota. When I ordered from them they said they make all their parts in house on state of the art machinery. The other night I drive by their facility (2 blocks from my work) they had all their doors open, not a single machine in there. The manufacturing area had nothing in there except a sail boat. Hmmm.
Wrap that around your overly muscled left wing and row your dinghy in counterclockwise circles as a result.
Anokamnman

Postby AFTERMATH on Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:21 pm

Anokamnman wrote:Well I have news regarding sota. When I ordered from them they said they make all their parts in house on state of the art machinery. The other night I drive by their facility (2 blocks from my work) they had all their doors open, not a single machine in there. The manufacturing area had nothing in there except a sail boat. Hmmm.

When they said 'in house' - maybe they meant in their house.
RWVA Senior Instructor -- http://www.RWVA.org
AFTERMATH

Postby rukwikenuf on Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:36 am

Anokamnman wrote:Well I have news regarding sota. When I ordered from them they said they make all their parts in house on state of the art machinery. The other night I drive by their facility (2 blocks from my work) they had all their doors open, not a single machine in there. The manufacturing area had nothing in there except a sail boat. Hmmm.

very peculiar. i wonder if they're ISO certified? i was really interested in getting either a 6.8spc or .300blk upper from them (with hopes of deer hunting using it). however, if they are blatantly lying, that's not cool
saying that guns kill people is like saying that spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

if God wanted us to drink whiskey, he would have given us stomaches

I'm a little teapot...
rukwikenuf

Postby Anokamnman on Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:34 pm

I have asked to get a tour of their facilities because I was considering purchasing another upper. But have not heard anything. I have been by the building a few times now and seen the sailboat and nothing else. It doesn't add up.
Anokamnman

PreviousNext

Return to Long Guns