SBS for C&R only?

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

SBS for C&R only?

Postby BemidjiDweller on Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:43 pm

For us nonmilitary/nonLE, can only C&R own a SBS in MN? I was looking into what our current laws are on Katrina style seizures, and this caught my eye: https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=609.67

609.67 MACHINE GUNS AND SHORT-BARRELED SHOTGUNS.
Subd. 2.Acts prohibited. Except as otherwise provided herein, whoever owns, possesses, or operates a machine gun, any trigger activator or machine gun conversion kit, or a short-barreled shotgun may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than five years or to payment of a fine of not more than $10,000, or both.
Subd. 3.Uses permitted. The following persons may own or possess a machine gun or short-barreled shotgun provided the provisions of subdivision 4 are complied with:
(3) persons possessing machine guns or short-barreled shotguns which, although designed as weapons, have been determined by the superintendent of the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension or the superintendent's delegate by reason of the date of manufacture, value, design or other characteristics to be primarily collector's items, relics, museum pieces or objects of curiosity, ornaments or keepsakes, and are not likely to be used as weapons;

Thoughts?

Oh and if this has already been posted or it's common knowledge that I missed the memo on, wups, sorry.
BemidjiDweller

Re: SBS for C&R only?

Postby Erik_Pakieser on Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:46 pm

I did a lot of research on this because I need some SBS for my business. No dice in Minnesota, unless it's a C&R.
Fight-focused defensive handgun, rifle, and shotgun training
http://www.qsitraining.net
http://www.facebook.com/qsifirearms
Erik_Pakieser

Postby BemidjiDweller on Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:45 pm

The more I learn about different firearm laws here in MN, the less I like this state's firearm laws. At least getting a C&R is easy, the hard part is chopping up a nice old C&R shotgun.

What about AOW's? Isn't a shotgun with no stock and shorter than 18 inch barrels considered an AOW?
BemidjiDweller

Postby dshortone on Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:56 pm

BemidjiDweller wrote:The more I learn about different firearm laws here in MN, the less I like this state's firearm laws. At least getting a C&R is easy, the hard part is chopping up a nice old C&R shotgun.

What about AOW's? Isn't a shotgun with no stock and shorter than 18 inch barrels considered an AOW?

It's very surprising when one does the research on MN's firearm laws. I'm in the "great" state of CA right now, and while things are more strict out here in general, there are a lot more ways to side-step the laws, while still being compliant.

As for legality of AOW's, I would say that according to MN law, it would be acceptable when combining the two definitions from 609.67 together:

"(b) "Shotgun" means a weapon designed, redesigned, made or remade which is intended to be fired from the shoulder and uses the energy of the explosive in a fixed shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball shot or a single projectile for each single pull of the trigger."

"(c) "Short-barreled shotgun" means a shotgun having one or more barrels less than 18 inches in length and any weapon made from a shotgun if such weapon as modified has an overall length less than 26 inches."

Edit: This is also assuming a stock has NEVER been installed, as to comply with Federal law on the matter.
dshortone

Postby BemidjiDweller on Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:39 am

I must have missed/forgotten about that part of the definition. Such a shame, at least SBR's are good to go in MN, right? Oh boy I hope they haven't been restricted too. (besides NFA laws of course)
BemidjiDweller

Postby mn_smokeater on Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:50 am

BemidjiDweller wrote:I must have missed/forgotten about that part of the definition. Such a shame, at least SBR's are good to go in MN, right? Oh boy I hope they haven't been restricted too. (besides NFA laws of course)

Yes we get to have SBRs
That guy from the Hinterlands of the Nord.
mn_smokeater

Return to Long Guns