AR or Garand?

AR
66%
Garand
33%

Total votes : 39

Re: AR or Garand? - Poll

Postby hammAR on Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:55 pm

No star wanted or needed, it was a privilege to do it...........thanks for the opportunity...............

All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby Pinnacle on Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:06 pm

hammAR wrote:
Pinnacle wrote:AR's SUCK in so many ways it is hard to count them all. You have to turn one into an AK to make it work right.

Yeah I know - there are a lot of folks that will read this and say - "I have an AR and it works just fine..."

<Rant on> I was really going to stay out of this BS, as since we have a bunch of armchair quarterbacks and weekend shooters just looking for a toy. I do wish that you would kind of turn this down a notch. You know that we normally get along, but with this repeated mantra I am now beginning to take personal offense.

There are currently US troops engaged and they are living and sometime dying with AR's, but it is the weapon of choice chosen by our Military and issued to those kids. To slam, demean and belittle their weapon systems is akin to "I support the troops, but I hate the President". Additionally, you have some tenor of self interest in promoting your replacement system, that is fine as it is your livelihood, but you do not have to do it in such a fashion..........

Do I own AR's, yes, but my history with them goes back to when you were still nursing. We were issued some of the famous "Mattel" AR's of the 60's, and yes there were problems and grunts died because of them, but they fixed them eventually. Today's AR is a long way from some of those that you speak. One thing we also learned, and it has been handed down through 200+ yr tradition, is that you take care of and clean your weapon. Failures of the weapons today in the field, at least in one branch, is principally due to lack of discipline and proper care and feeding of your weapon, including the gas system and magazines. Additionally, most users tend to have problems principally due to over oil and slack in cleaning methods and regime.

You mistakenly try to compare the AR to AK's or Glocks, where you plug and play until they don't work. Well, anyone in action will tell you that not keeping you weapons system in optimal operating condition is the quickest way to die, except for being assigned with a big mouthed wannabe hero...................<Rant off>

NOW LETS GO HAVE A BEER............ :cheers:

Nice

AR's are still turds.
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby hammAR on Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:12 pm

Pinnacle wrote:AR's are still turds.

Yea well so are Navy guys, but I can't change that either.................... :P
hammAR

Postby lenny7 on Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:46 pm

hammAR wrote:We were issued some of the famous "Mattel" AR's of the 60's, and yes there were problems and grunts died because of them,

Here's a bit of trivia that might explain that... According to Phyllis Kahn herself:

"I worked on the design of the M-16 rifle as a student intern in the summer at the Frankfurt Arsenal in Philadelphia, and every time one of those misfired in Vietnam I cringed and worried if it was some sort of miscalculation that I had done"

That can be found here on Page 16
lenny7

Postby GregM on Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:18 pm

hammAR wrote:No star wanted or needed, it was a privilege to do it...........thanks for the opportunity...............

I must HAVE one of those!
FLEE IF YOU CAN. FIGHT IF YOU MUST.
GregM

Postby TC95GT on Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:58 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I have decided to finish the AR first. I already have the stripped lower and have been wanting to assemble my own for a while. The Garand will definately be next.

edit: I just noticed this is post 223. This belongs in the gun coincidence thread that was going a while back.
"It is not enough to just obey Big Brother, you must love him, too." 1984 by George Orwell
TC95GT

Postby ironfoot on Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:32 pm

You already decided what you are going to do, but others may have the same question, so here are a few points:
1. If you want to win at highpower rifle competion, get an AR with a fast twist barrel that will stabilize long bullets for the 600 yard match, and a good trigger with match sights and a free float handguard. ARs beat M-1s and M-14s at highpower matches these days.
2. If you want to shoot cheaply, the AR ammo will cost less than the 30-06 ammo.
3. The AR will kick less.
4. It is easier to work on the AR.
5. If you want to hunt deer, get the M-1.
6. If you want a classic collector, get the M-1.
7. If you are thrilled with WWII history, get the M-1.
8. If you want to shoot varmints, get the AR.
9. If you want to shoot 20 to 30 rounds without reloading, get the AR.
10. If a Democrat wins the presidency, good luck trying to get either one.
ironfoot

Postby hammAR on Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:23 pm

Hey, ttousi.........you heard from the kid yet?

:flag:
hammAR

Postby ttousi on Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:21 am

hammAR wrote:Hey, ttousi.........you heard from the kid yet?

:flag:

no .........I'll see what I can do 8-)
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Previous

Return to Long Guns