Evil Black Rifle photo thread

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Re: Evil Black Rifle photo thread

Postby Scratch on Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:10 am

JustinPo wrote:
Scratch wrote:
FJ540 wrote:Added QD mounts to the ACE stock.

DING DING DING...Good eye!

How much do you like the PA scope? I am trying to find all the reviews on it i can, it seems like a great value.

So far, I like it a lot. The glass is pretty clear, with not much clarity loss at full magnification, it seems to track well (....So far) the adjustments are easy, the reticle is fairly bright for where I shoot, (although I think it might get washed out in bright sun) the clicks are very positive, and it seems to be very consistent for the less than 200 rounds I've shot through it.

I thought the reticle was going to be too busy for me, but I actually like it a lot.

It does seem a little heavy, but because of that, it feels very solidly built. They're hard to find though...
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby Sammichman on Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:24 pm

P1010019.JPG
Just bought this New Ruger AR 556 from Arnzen and added the Nikon Mount and scope,,thats as far as I'm going. I wanted an AR for under a 1000.00 and this one scoped came to a shade less than 800.00
Sammichman

Postby Erud on Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:39 pm

You gotta flip that mount around or you'll put your eye out with that thing...
Erud

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:57 pm

Sammichman wrote:
P1010019.JPG
Just bought this New Ruger AR 556 from Arnzen and added the Nikon Mount and scope,,thats as far as I'm going. I wanted an AR for under a 1000.00 and this one scoped came to a shade less than 800.00

Mount should look like this...

Or like this since you have the x3 power model...

Last edited by PHATSPEED7x on Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Amateurs train until they get it right... Professionals train until they get it wrong"
PHATSPEED7x

Postby Sammichman on Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:57 pm

Erud wrote:You gotta flip that mount around or you'll put your eye out with that thing...
No chance. I have a ton of eye relief. thanks
Sammichman

Postby Erud on Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:01 pm

Sammichman wrote:
Erud wrote:You gotta flip that mount around or you'll put your eye out with that thing...

In that case, you may want to re-evaluate your head position.
Erud

Postby Sammichman on Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:02 pm

Sammichman wrote:
I tried it both ways,I get a better fit on that shorty scope when It's flipped that way
Sammichman

Postby Sammichman on Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:12 pm

PHATSPEED7x wrote:
Sammichman wrote:
P1010019.JPG

Mount should look like this...

Or like this since you have the x3 power model...

I tried that method first and i couldn't get the scope to sit far enough back to get a good sight picture the way I have it set up I get a nice look as soon as i shoulder it and It gives me a good 4" of relief which should be plenty
Sammichman

Postby Erud on Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:33 pm

Ok, suit yourself.
Erud

Postby Sammichman on Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:35 pm

Erud wrote:
Sammichman wrote:

Thanks always looking to Improve but so far my head position is fine at least it is for me,,
Sammichman

Postby Sammichman on Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:39 pm

Erud wrote:Ok, suit yourself.
thanks,
Sammichman

Postby Erud on Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:10 pm

Sammichman wrote:
Erud wrote:
Sammichman wrote:No chance. I have a ton of eye relief. thanks

Thanks always looking to Improve but so far my head position is fine at least it is for me,,

I don't know how much shooting you have done with AR's, so if I'm telling you stuff you already know, please feel free to disregard. Some do not like to hear it, but there is a right way to shoot them, and also many wrong ways. The right way is with the tip of your nose touching the charging handle, for several reasons. Think about shooting an AR with A2 sights on it. In order to properly see through the aperture, your eye needs to be close to it. Nose to charge handle is about as close as you can reasonably be, and happens to be the proper eye relief for those sights. You could not shoot an A2 with your head where you are putting yours on your rifle. Also, having your nose touching gives you a tangible reference point every single time you mount the rifle, making it much more likely that you will mount it in the same place every time. This is even more critical with a scope, as the eye relief and eye box are much more sensitive than with irons. This is the exact reason that companies make cantilever rings for mounting scopes on AR's in the first place. How many times have you seen someone shooting a scoped rifle moving their head all around side to side and front to back trying to find the spot where they can actually see through it? If your scope is set up properly and you have proper head position, this does not happen. It also allows you to shoot your scope the same way you shoot your irons. Having your face floating around on the stock 6" behind the charging handle is not repeatable, and not conducive to good shooting. I would encourage you to try shooting with the scope mounted forward like it was intended, unless you have some sort of physical reason that prevents you from shooting this way.

Don't get me wrong, this is still America. You can mount it any way you like, and you will see plenty of others also doing it your way. That said, you aren't doing yourself any favors by doing it the wrong way when the right way is literally right in front of your nose...
Erud

Evil Black Rifle photo thread

Postby jshuberg on Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:22 pm

+1
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby Scratch on Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:38 pm

I don't shoot nose to charging handle. I'm about an inch away. I was never in the military or anything... but I'm the most comfortable and accurate with a 13" LOP, and that puts my nose about an inch away from the charging handle. I have no plans to conform.

By the way... Jerry Miculek doesn't shoot nose to charging handle either, and last I heard... He's pretty good with an AR.
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby Erud on Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:31 am

Scratch wrote:I don't shoot nose to charging handle. I'm about an inch away. I was never in the military or anything though... but I'm the most comfortable with a13" LOP and that puts my nose about an inch away from the charging handle.

By the way... Jerry Miculek doesn't shoot nose to charging handle either.

No problem, just re-read the last paragraph of my post. Also, there is always an exception to prove the rule - ever see Sergei Martynov's prone position?
Erud

PreviousNext

Return to Long Guns