Evil Black Rifle photo thread

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Re: Evil Black Rifle photo thread

Postby Collector1337420 on Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:47 am

tazdevil wrote:Which cost more on that one, the EOTech sight or the gun? Seriously I went on a shopping trip to look at red dots, and those things are pricey (XPS2 was 479$, their combo was 1200$). Or is there a better option at a cheaper price that still holds 0 as well?

I would say, without a doubt, EOTech is the best red dot.

It's one of those things where "you get what you pay for" is very true.

I got my 552 used for a pretty good deal.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."
Collector1337420

Postby yuppiejr on Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:23 am

tazdevil wrote:Which cost more on that one, the EOTech sight or the gun? Seriously I went on a shopping trip to look at red dots, and those things are pricey (XPS2 was 479$, their combo was 1200$). Or is there a better option at a cheaper price that still holds 0 as well?

The killer feature in a red-dot, to me, is not only it's ability to hold zero and put up with abuse that wouldn't otherwise kill the gun, but battery life. The Aimpoint PRO (Patrol Rifle Optic) which is their lowest cost option, goes 3 years on a single battery and you can leave it on all the time. The EOTech's are also nice but you're talking 1000 hours on a battery vs *30,000* with the basic Aimpoint PRO which is not only very convenient and always ready to go, but will cost an extra $100 or so over the same period of time in the other optics choices. Same with the Lucid, Primary Arms and Vortex and other more budget priced red-dots, 1000 or so hours per battery.
yuppiejr

Postby David on Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:56 pm

The EoTech is a great short-range optic, but the large reticle makes it my last choice for precision shooting at distance. Great for kicking down doors and hosing tangos, but not my favorite for anything else. I'll generally take an Aimpoint for 1X red dots.
David

Postby bulletproof on Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:16 pm

David wrote:The EoTech is a great short-range optic, but the large reticle makes it my last choice for precision shooting at distance. Great for kicking down doors and hosing tangos, but not my favorite for anything else. I'll generally take an Aimpoint for 1X red dots.

Have you tried a combo like this before?

bulletproof

Postby David on Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:11 am

No. I don't like putting a lot of stuff on my guns, and when I want an optic with magnification, I'll choose something with a small dot instead of a huge reticle, like an Elcan or an ACOG. My favorite by far is the Elcan Specter DR, which has a neat throw lever that instantly switches between 1X and 4X. You can also get a 6X. It's not a knob that has to be twisted or anything like that; it's just a lever that you can operate fast in your sleep. With the Specter, you don't need to put both an optic and a magnifier on there, which fits nicely with my minimalist leanings. I've got nothing against the EoTech (I have three of them), I just like to use it in extremely short-range applications.
David

Postby russellmn on Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:40 am

Mega Lower, BCM 12.5" upper. Troy/VTAC tube, DD BUIS, Aimpoint M2

PSA Lower, Mega upper, WOA 18.5 ss barrel, Troy/VTAC tube, Aimpoint has been replaced with Mueller 4.5-14x40 scope on PEPR mount.

russellmn

Postby gunforhire on Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:34 am

Here's my finished product.

Last edited by gunforhire on Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You're not tactical enough to view that video. Practice some rolls for a while, maybe dual wield an airsoft pistol and an Xacto knife, then try again."

~some arfcom user that deserves a beer or 8 from my fridge
gunforhire

Postby WolfTrack on Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:50 am

I had a "Black Rifle" once upon a time ago.
They don't seem to stay black with me.
The bull barrelled rig shown here is the only one that has spent at least part of its life "black."
The OD green lower half has grown up.
There are plans for the black lower half. Its fate, whether to stay black, has yet to be decided.
My hopes are for the rest of the children, is that they grow up and make me proud...

Here is what the OD green lower half, in the picture above, has grown into:
“The art of war teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him; not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable.”
WolfTrack

Postby gyrfalcon on Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:19 am

WolfTrack wrote:I had a "Black Rifle" once upon a time ago.

Did you do the art work on the flowery AR? I would be interested to know how it was designed and painted. It's very distinctive and different. :D
"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
gyrfalcon

Postby WolfTrack on Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:28 am

gyrfalcon wrote:
WolfTrack wrote:I had a "Black Rifle" once upon a time ago.

Did you do the art work on the flowery AR? I would be interested to know how it was designed and painted. It's very distinctive and different. :D

I did the DuraCoat while I worked for a local gunsmith.
I got most of the flower stencils at Hub Hobby, in their RC detailing aisle.
I cut the stems and leaves from masking tape.
The tulip type flowers are Ojibwe inspired, and were cut from masking tape as well.
“The art of war teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him; not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable.”
WolfTrack

Postby David on Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:37 am

Awesome. I like your style!
David

Postby Cadet on Sat May 05, 2012 12:49 pm

S&W 15-22 MOE flat dark earth edition with a custom FDE duracoat job.
IMG_4583.JPG
Shooting better than you since 1995.
Mossberg MVP Predator .223/Benelli R1 300 Win. Mag/Browning Maxus 12 Ga./S&W M&P AR15-22 Mall Ninja MOE Edition/Henry Golden Boy 22LR/Remington 870 Deluxe 20 GA.
Cadet

Postby mnmike59 on Sat May 05, 2012 1:23 pm

BadNews338LM.jpg
"Just remember boys, this is America. Just because you get more votes it doesn't mean you win."
Fox Mulder.
mnmike59

Postby kollector03 on Wed May 09, 2012 8:57 pm

kollector03

Postby JoeH on Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:37 pm

I snapped a quick pic of this almost complete rifle. It still needs some irons and a sling, maybe a bi-pod. It's a JP upper on a Spikes lower. I wouldn't call it a build since I bought the upper and lower already completed.

18" JP, rifle gas, medium contour, Cooley break, LMBCG
Spikes lower, Springfield trigger, ergo grip, UBR
Meopta 1-4 k-dot in an American Defense QR mount

JPbuild.jpg
Joe
Not a Glock Certified Armorer
JoeH

PreviousNext

Return to Long Guns