looks like i'm inheriting a select fire rifle

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

looks like i'm inheriting a select fire rifle

Postby Nat on Sat May 12, 2012 2:53 pm

My Dad's ok, but he's getting to the point where he's not using his rifles anymore, and the next time I head home looks like I'll be getting the firearm part of my inheritance early. also, I always knew my dad was particularly fond of his m1 carbine, turns out that's because it's actually an m2.

anyone familiar with what I'll have to do too take possession of this? Tax stamp? Some kind of permit?
Secrets are the opposite of Freedoms
Nat

Re: looks like i'm inheriting a select fire rifle

Postby old guy on Sat May 12, 2012 3:14 pm

Do not post of this anymore untill you know what you are doing. Find out the details first.
old guy

Postby Nat on Sat May 12, 2012 3:24 pm

old guy wrote:Do not post of this anymore untill you know what you are doing. Find out the details first.

as respectfully as possible, that doesn't help me much. are you saying I need to speak to an attorney?
Last edited by Nat on Sat May 12, 2012 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nat

Postby BemidjiDweller on Sat May 12, 2012 3:31 pm

If it is already registered as a machine gun, then there is no harm in asking questions about how to transfer it. If OP's father (no disrespect intended) didn't register it and it is an illegal machine gun, then it would be a good idea to stop talking about it and talk to a lawyer about how to stay within the law and not have the BATFE raid your house. By within the law, I mean how to turn it in as an unregistered NFA item.

With that aside, I'd imagine just the usual tax stamp, then again, I'm not too familiar with NFA law.
BemidjiDweller

Postby Nat on Sat May 12, 2012 3:42 pm

Yes, 100% registered. Just the transfer it's all i'm curious about.
Nat

Postby bstrawse on Sat May 12, 2012 4:25 pm

I would recommend contacting either an attorney or a FFL who has their SOT and is competent to explain the logistics of this to you.

I'm afraid that I can't recommend anyone as I don't know of any that is one or the other above - but I'm sure someone here does.
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby Hmac on Sat May 12, 2012 4:26 pm

Assuming that the weapon was made before May 19, 1986 , you just transfer it on an ATF Form 4. You'll need to decide whether to register it to you as an individual or whether you should form a trust to own it. For a machine gun I'd recommend a trust, in which case getting a lawyer to draw it up is advisable. Probably cost about $500. Will your local Sheriff or Police Chief sign off on your purchase of a machine gun? You should sit down with him/her and find out. If not, then a trust is your only option.
Hmac

Postby rockcreek on Sat May 12, 2012 5:12 pm

Hmac about summed it up. A trust would be your best bet, then you will need to find a class 3 FFL to do the transfer for you. You will need to pay the $200 tax, plus whatever fees the FFL is going to charge before they submit the paperwork. I would expect the whole process to take about 6 months. I don't know what part of the state you are in, but I would recommend talking to Joyce at Bullseye in North Branch. If the gun ever leaves the state, or your possesion (having it repaired by a gunsmith for example) you will need to notify the ATF. How is it registered now? There are very few transferable M2 carbines in private hands, most were given to LE agencies. If currently in a trust, could you be added to the trust? That would be easiest.
rockcreek

Postby bulletproof on Sat May 12, 2012 6:14 pm

You might also want to consider moving it to a trust for advantages outside of the Sheriff.
bulletproof

Postby Nat on Sat May 12, 2012 8:33 pm

Thanks guys, I'll make some calls Monday!
Nat

Postby timwarner on Sat May 12, 2012 8:57 pm

Also, contact the mod, have him delete this thread.

Take some advice from every other legal related thread that has been posted here.
STFU, don't post it, call a lawyer. If you have a question regarding something legal, just ask or search her. We can all recommend someone
Tim
USPSA club MN07
http://ipsc.krok.us
timwarner

Postby bulletproof on Sat May 12, 2012 9:03 pm

timwarner wrote:Also, contact the mod, have him delete this thread.
Take some advice from every other legal related thread that has been posted here.
STFU, don't post it, call a lawyer. If you have a question regarding something legal, just ask or search her. We can all recommend someone

He is inheriting a legal piece of property. There is no need to go off the deep end like he did something illegal or needs counsel.
bulletproof

Postby BemidjiDweller on Sat May 12, 2012 9:03 pm

Why delete the thread? There is nothing illegal going on in this thread. He is just asking for someone who has some firsthand experience with NFA transfers. Not how to circumvent the law.
BemidjiDweller

Postby Nat on Sat May 12, 2012 9:06 pm

bulletproof wrote:
timwarner wrote:Also, contact the mod, have him delete this thread.

He is inheriting a legal piece of property. There is no need to go off the deep end like he did something illegal or needs counsel.

And if there is a valid reason, please enlighten me. I am totally open to the possibility I'm missing something.
Nat

Postby bulletproof on Sat May 12, 2012 9:12 pm

Nat wrote:And if there is a valid reason, please enlighten me. I am totally open to the possibility I'm missing something.

Let me know if you need help getting rid of those panzerfausts and M2 mortars! :stirthepot: :gun:
bulletproof

Next

Return to Long Guns