Army bans high performance rifle mags

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Army bans high performance rifle mags

Postby 45xdacp on Tue May 29, 2012 9:55 pm

What a load of $#&% ban something thats proven in battle amd could possible save lives , I wounder what could be the real reason for the reversal on P-mags.

http://m.military.com/daily-news/2012/05/25/in-reversal-army-bans-high-performance-rifle-mags.html?ESRC=marine.nl
45xdacp

Re: Army bans high performance rifle mags

Postby farmerj on Wed May 30, 2012 12:12 am

It's called a DUNN's certified supplier squawked loudly and was listened to in order to protect their market share that they worked hard cultivating a contract with the military.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby Cadet on Wed May 30, 2012 6:30 pm

I believe that's whats called the "Military-Industrial Complex." Hundreds of large companies rely on business solely from the military and when that income is lost you can be sure they will throw what weight they have around to get their business back.
Shooting better than you since 1995.
Mossberg MVP Predator .223/Benelli R1 300 Win. Mag/Browning Maxus 12 Ga./S&W M&P AR15-22 Mall Ninja MOE Edition/Henry Golden Boy 22LR/Remington 870 Deluxe 20 GA.
Cadet

Postby Thunder71 on Wed May 30, 2012 6:38 pm

It's not stupid - It's because they aren't compatible with the IAR, standard GI mags work on both platforms. Makes sense in battle, but I'll be first in line for the surplus PMags for the range. :)
Thunder71

Postby Spike on Wed May 30, 2012 7:33 pm

Thunder71 wrote:It's not stupid - It's because they aren't compatible with the IAR, standard GI mags work on both platforms. Makes sense in battle, but I'll be first in line for the surplus PMags for the range. :)

Someone toss me a clue. IAR?
Spike

Postby Thunder71 on Wed May 30, 2012 7:49 pm

Infantry Automatic Rifle

This should help:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M27_Infant ... atic_Rifle

Thunder71

Postby BemidjiDweller on Wed May 30, 2012 8:31 pm

Maybe I am missing something here, but what is the difference between that (IAR) and a regular AR? Same gun, prettier name?
BemidjiDweller

Postby JJ on Wed May 30, 2012 8:34 pm

BemidjiDweller wrote:Maybe I am missing something here, but what is the difference between that (IAR) and a regular AR? Same gun, prettier name?

Piston, instead of DI
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby Spike on Wed May 30, 2012 8:38 pm

Thanks, Thunder. The Marines got a "new" gun so the Army can't use PMAGs?
Spike

Postby xd ED on Wed May 30, 2012 8:42 pm

So the standard NATO mags that work in the M16/M4/AR weapons also work in the new IAR. The MAGPULs, which I believe are built to the same physical specs as the NATO mags work in the former platforms but not the latter?
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby David on Wed May 30, 2012 9:53 pm

I don't know what specification PMags are built to, but I know they don't work in a lot of my rifles. I've never had a problem with any standard G.I. mag, so I'll stick with those. I bought a few PMags to see what the fuss was about, but being an average shooter who doesn't bury my rifle in the sand, I couldn't tell the difference (beyond the fact that PMags don't fit in the mag well of some brands). With all the "operators" out there falling all over themselves to get PMags, the G.I. ones have gotten agreeably inexpensive. They are almost disposable now!
David

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed May 30, 2012 10:00 pm

I dunno, ruger makes a piston gun that ships with 3 pmags. Sounds like a problem wiyh the lower.
Holland&Holland

Postby Spike on Wed May 30, 2012 10:02 pm

David wrote:I don't know what specification PMags are built to, but I know they don't work in a lot of my rifles. I've never had a problem with any standard G.I. mag, so I'll stick with those. I bought a few PMags to see what the fuss was about, but being an average shooter who doesn't bury my rifle in the sand, I couldn't tell the difference (beyond the fact that PMags don't fit in the mag well of some brands). With all the "operators" out there falling all over themselves to get PMags, the G.I. ones have gotten agreeably inexpensive. They are almost disposable now!

Which ones don't they work in?
Spike

Postby David on Wed May 30, 2012 10:21 pm

I don't recall exactly, the SCAR was one, but I'll check them all tomorrow and post the details. Sometimes they'll go in fine, but won't drop free, and other times they won't go in at all without an unacceptable amount of effort. The G.I. ones work in every 5.56 NATO rifle I have, from any manufacturer, so why bother having different types that can only fit in some of them? The whole point of a rifle taking AR mags is so that you don't have to have a bunch of different mags! :D
David

Postby TRW407 on Thu May 31, 2012 7:56 am

I recall something about the difference is how the follower engages the bolt hold open device? Magpul make the Emag specifically for this reason on SCAR 16's, HK416's, SA-80, etc... There are videos on the web showing how to modify the magazine to function properly in these systems.
"Speed is limited to the minds inability to process the necessary information."
http://www.Tylerwalsh.webs.com
TRW407

Next

Return to Long Guns