Looking at getting Tikka T3 .243

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Postby Anokamnman on Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:28 am

Well Deer-Firearm is fast approaching. And my wife has just confirmed that for the first time ever she wants to try deer hunting. So I am debating on what she should use. I have a sweet old Winchester 94 in 30/30. But she is not real good with it. She wants to try something with a scope. And I will not put one on that gun. She doesn't want to shoot the 45-70 because it hurts her shoulder. So I have been checking out other options. I have a few more deer rifles that she could use but she gave me the green light to get something new for her to use. JACKPOT.

My aunt has a number of different rifles and she doesn't shoot. She only shoots her pistols. her hubby keeps buying her deer rifles hoping she will go. No Dice.

So I looked through her collection of nearly new rifles that would work. My favorite is the Tikka T3 chambered in .243.

the bolt action on it is so freaking smooth. Its amazing. Its not too heavy for the wife. And the recoil is very managable for the wife. I am thinking about taking it off my aunts hands. My only thing is that its a .243 and I have rarely seen a tikka. Only shot this one.

Anyone have any useful input on the Tikka rifles?
I don't need to hear from people saying why hunt with a 243, get her a 308. She wants something managable.
Wrap that around your overly muscled left wing and row your dinghy in counterclockwise circles as a result.
Anokamnman

Re: Looking at getting Tikka T3 .243

Postby jgalt on Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:40 am

I've nothing but good things about the T3, and 243 is more than enough for MN deer...

The only thing I'd recommend - just as is smart to do when getting another person a carry gun - is to have your wife handle, and shoot if possible, the gun before you put any money down on it. While there's nothing inherently wrong with either the platform or the caliber, it's always possible your wife simply won't like it.

Since it's your aunt, maybe she'll let you? Worth askin', at least... 8-)
jgalt

Postby Anokamnman on Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:49 am

My aunt dropped the rifle of yesterday. the wife shot about 20 rounds thru it. She said that it seems nice. She was nervous about it being bolt action since the only bolt action she has fired it a standard mosin and my mosin in 45-70. She actually liked the gun. My ain't said we could keep it for a few months to try it out. Even use it to hunt this year. But I just wanted to see what others think about the t3. Seems like a legit rifle.
Wrap that around your overly muscled left wing and row your dinghy in counterclockwise circles as a result.
Anokamnman

Postby Dill on Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:25 am

I hunt with this exact rifle, and it works just fine for me. I have a Nikon 4.5-14 on it, it shoots really nice. It's light weight is awesome for carrying through the woods.
Attachments
petespikebuck.jpg
Last edited by Dill on Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dill

Postby Pinnacle on Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:25 am

Anything in 243 is a legit rifle... TIKKA is an excellent maker.

That is a rifle that you will have for the rest of your days.. Just care for it well and dont shoot it too hot and it will last a lifetime... Nice rig.
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:47 pm

A couple of POWER hunters I know, have switched over to Tikka exclusively. These are guys who take their vacation time to be out every minute of deer season, hunt mule deer out west and generally spend their time outdoors. They need a gun that can take abuse. I used one myself to shoot 2 deer out of my cousins stand- enclosed and heated :D so not much of a test of ruggedness (the gun or me) - nice rifle with nice smooth action and a short throw. Those Finns know how to build a rifle.

I like it so much, that I am considering buying one in Predator calibers.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby JoeH on Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:11 pm

I had a T3 Lite in .270 WSM. It was a wonderful rifle, light and very accurate. My mistake was in the chambering. The cartridge kicked too much for me. It was fine for hunting with heavy clothes but was no fun at the range in the summer wearing a t-shirt. I enjoy putting some volume down range in the summer. Had I bought it in .270 Win, I'd still have it.
Joe
Not a Glock Certified Armorer
JoeH

Postby Shipyard on Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:21 pm

i use a T3 light in stainless chambered in 30-06 for my deer rifle. currently dressed with a leupy VX-II 3-9x50 in a DNZ high mount. had a redfield revolution 3-9 x 50 on it previously, was a nice scope for the money but two years ago i missed out on a doe about 30 seconds short of the end of legal shootin and a small little voice in my head blamed the glass so... you know... :roll:

my T3 is the sickest huting rifle i've ever owned. the action is SO smooth on these. i have a buddy that runs a weatherby mark 4 and he said it's comperable to his action. trigger is damn nice too. WAY better than the howa's and rem's i USED to own ;)

it's lightweight, accurate as all get out and hey - the rifle even LOOKS good :D

to me, it's the perfect gun. it's taken several deer and put plenty of meat on my table. never had an issue with it from rain, to freexing rain to a high of 5 defg F on opening day (that SUCKED! :x but it got better when two ran in under 20 yds and stopped boadside 8-) )

i'd never part with it. yeah a Finnbear is nicer, but it's also 3x the price! :P

highly recommended - Shippy seal of approval granted
i do what i can, where i'm needed, and i ask so little in return. i'm a true humanitarian fueled by rainbows and whiskey. you should be so lucky to know me...

Shipyard wrote:no kidding. that guy gets banned from here more than i quit this place :lol:
Shipyard

Postby rockcreek on Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:55 pm

Good guns, ugly as sin, but accurate and smooth. I have seen a lot of deer taken with a .243, including big mulies out west, and it seems to work a lot better than it's small size would indicate. I would not feel undergunned for deer, or even black bears with a .243 with the right loads.
rockcreek

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:00 pm

I think you are on the right track and could do a heck of alot worse in a combination.

I love .243 as a light deer gun and the T3s get nothing but good reviews.
Holland&Holland

Postby RJWesleyIII on Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:19 pm

I love my t3! I've had it since 2004 It's chambered in 300 win short mag! I'm taking it to south Dakota in October for deer hunting! Can't wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RJWesleyIII

Postby Pinnacle on Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:57 am

A T3 in .243 with a 3-9x on it would be a hell of a defensive firearm as well. Incredible horsepower - low recoil, great bullet selection available... There are even reduced loads published that work really well.

TIKKA is a fantastic gun, I would buy one without hesitation.
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby rukwikenuf on Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:55 pm

Tikka is good.
that is all.
good night.
saying that guns kill people is like saying that spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

if God wanted us to drink whiskey, he would have given us stomaches

I'm a little teapot...
rukwikenuf

Postby Anokamnman on Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:45 pm

rukwikenuf wrote:Tikka is good.
that is all.
good night.

Now that I have your input, I will make the purchase. I can sleep soundly now. When are you coming up again. I want to shoot that p226.
Anokamnman

Postby mc762x54R on Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:56 pm

A Tikka T3 in 30.06 was my 1st dedicated "deer gun"...like everyone else has said, its awesome.
Attachments
CIMG9001 crop.jpg
mc762x54R

Next

Return to Long Guns