Looking at building an AR SBR...

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Looking at building an AR SBR...

Postby Ranger01 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:19 pm

BUT, because I'm eccentric/ crazy (take your pic haha) I want to build something a bit more unique than the standard tacticool M4. I want to build a clone of the Colt XM607.

For those of you that don't know what that is here are a couple pictures of exactly what I want to do:

Anyone have an idea of the feasibility of making something like this?

I've tried sourcing out the parts (admittedly, I've only been seriously looking for about an hour now) but it seems the companies that made the stock and hand guard sets are either out of business or at least haven't updated their site in a while...

Here's a company that makes the replica parts:
http://totalsilenceinc.com/index.html

So far the required items are:
Colt SP1 (pref slab side) upper and lower receivers. (or equivalent)
XM607 stock
XM607 hand guard set (or cut down SP1 set)
XM607 slip ring
XM607 replica (non functional) "moderator"
ARMSON Occluded Eye Gunsight (or vintage "Single Point" OEG if I can find one)
Ranger01

Re: Looking at building an AR SBR...

Postby scout on Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:21 am

I don't mean to thread jack but I've also been toying with the idea (ok, more like curious) of an SBR but I'm a little foggy on the process or rules, so could someone clarify exactly how one comes to own or build and SBR? Thanks in advance.
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither..."
-Benjamin Franklin

The 3 Rules: 1. Always look cool 2. Never get lost 3. If you get lost, look cool.
scout

Postby tim on Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:28 am

scout wrote:I don't mean to thread jack but I've also been toying with the idea (ok, more like curious) of an SBR but I'm a little foggy on the process or rules, so could someone clarify exactly how one comes to own or build and SBR? Thanks in advance.

There have been SBR threads almost every week for the last...forever with tons of good info in them. There was one a couple weeks ago that outlined in great detail what you have to do. I'd look it up for you but then I would read it again and that would make me want to build one again :D
tim

Postby scout on Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:36 am

tim wrote:There have been SBR threads almost every week for the last...forever with tons of good info in them. There was one a couple weeks ago that outlined in great detail what you have to do. I'd look it up for you but then I would read it again and that would make me want to build one again :D

Found it HERE

Thanks!
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither..."
-Benjamin Franklin

The 3 Rules: 1. Always look cool 2. Never get lost 3. If you get lost, look cool.
scout

Postby Ranger01 on Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:05 am

I figure some people might not know what I'm asking, so I figure I'll clarify my question. I know how to go through the SBR stuff, my issue is more in the feasibility of building a replica of this particular rifle...

I like the look, but cost (and parts feasibility) wise would I be better off just building (or having someone build for me) a kitted out modern AR carbine and then some point later on building one of these? This is pretty much going to be my first mag fed rifle... (living with a family of libs and fudds doesn't grant much chance to get into EBRs hah.)
Ranger01

Postby rukwikenuf on Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:17 am

ive seen a few old Colts for sale with the 20" bbls, i'd personally go that route, and mod it to suit your tastes
saying that guns kill people is like saying that spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

if God wanted us to drink whiskey, he would have given us stomaches

I'm a little teapot...
rukwikenuf

Postby Hmac on Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:33 am

scout wrote:I don't mean to thread jack but I've also been toying with the idea (ok, more like curious) of an SBR but I'm a little foggy on the process or rules, so could someone clarify exactly how one comes to own or build and SBR? Thanks in advance.

First you have to decide if you want to acquire it through a trust, or individual purchase. Then you have to decide if you want to build it yourself, or buy it already built from the factory (ATF Form 1 vs Form 4). If you're not using a firearms trust, get the appropriate ATF Forms and fingerprint cards (order them for free from ATF at their website), fill them out, get a couple of 2x2 passport photos taken, get your fingerprints taken, get your local CLEO to sign your completed form, send it off, wait 6 months to get your stamp, then you can build your rifle get it engraved as per the law (if Form 1), or pick it up from your dealer and take it home (if Form 4). Note that if you register it as an individual, you have to be present every time the rifle is shot.
Hmac

Postby rukwikenuf on Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:39 am

Hmac wrote:

First you have to decide if you want to acquire it through a trust, or individual purchase. Then you have to decide if you want to build it yourself, or buy it already built from the factory (ATF Form 1 vs Form 4). If you're not using a firearms trust, get the appropriate ATF Forms and fingerprint cards (order them for free from ATF at their website), fill them out, get a couple of 2x2 passport photos taken, get your fingerprints taken, get your local CLEO to sign your completed form, send it off, wait 6 months to get your stamp, then you can build your rifle get it engraved as per the law (if Form 1), or pick it up from your dealer and take it home (if Form 4). Note that if you register it as an individual, you have to be present every time the rifle is shot.

^^^that's why i think i'd personally go the Trust route
saying that guns kill people is like saying that spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

I'm a little teapot...
rukwikenuf

Postby Squib Joe on Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:06 pm

NoDak Spud has retro lowers, uppers and a few other parts

http://www.nodakspud.com/AR%20Lowers.htm
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby MnHornet on Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:36 am

A minny guy on arfcom has that colt upper for sale. Just the upper.
Proud to be Deplorable.
MnHornet

Postby Ranger01 on Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:44 am

Joe: Thanks for the link, I'll look into the build cost. I wish there was a company that could do sterilized or custom lowers so I could have my own SN (other than the SBR #) and such (I have a specific Image I'd want on the side)...

MnHornet: Is it a 607 type upper with the shortened hand guards (with or without flash hider) or just a normal/ slick SP1 upper?
Ranger01

Postby Keith on Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:50 am

Ranger01 wrote:Joe: Thanks for the link, I'll look into the build cost. I wish there was a company that could do sterilized or custom lowers so I could have my own SN (other than the SBR #) and such (I have a specific Image I'd want on the side)...

I think the only way to get a custom serial # is to make it yourself. As in machine it up from scratch, or from a 80% lower.
https://www.tacticalmachining.com/80-pr ... ivers.html

Orion can engrave images, etc.
http://www.orion-arms.com/gun-engraving/welcome.html
Yeah, but I shoot with THIS hand.
Keith

Postby Ranger01 on Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:21 am

Thats what I've been finding... There has to be a company out there though that does for AR lowers what caspian does with 1911 frames as far as the custom SNs.

Orion probably wont engrave the image I want on the lower due to it being copyrighted (although I don't think it is in the US)..
Ranger01

Postby MnHornet on Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:51 am

Proud to be Deplorable.
MnHornet

Postby rukwikenuf on Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:19 pm

What did you want for the SN? image?

I'm a little teapot...
rukwikenuf

Next

Return to Long Guns