A Bolt Medallion, Yes or No?

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

A Bolt Medallion, Yes or No?

Postby JeffD on Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:23 pm

I have an opportunity to trade for a new Browning. It is a 2010 build date and has never been fired. There is no scope or mounts on the gun and none have ever been installed. I already have a deer rifle, in 30-06 and so is this, so I don't need the gun really. The cost of the trade for me would end up around the $450 mark. Then I need to get some glass on it. I think these are decent guns and this seems like a pretty good deal. I just don't need it and even after the trade I still need to spend money before I can shoot it. It's a nice gun and I am leaning toward doing the trade. I have heard these guns don't hold their value and I have never shot one. I'm looking for anyone with experience or opinions on the A-bolt. I don't even really know if this is a good deal. I know Brwoning's MSRP is like $1100 but I have seen new ones online (@ Reeds) for $649, that's a pretty big swing on price. Thanks for the input!

Jeff
JeffD

Re: A Bolt Medallion, Yes or No?

Postby Belgiboy on Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:29 pm

What's your current 30-06?
I have a Colt Python and you don't so what do I care...

Mom, Dad.... I'm Gaelic

http://www.zazzle.com/belgiboy/gifts
Belgiboy

Postby JeffD on Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:46 pm

Smith&Wesson Model 1500
JeffD

Postby rugersol on Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:08 pm

I have/had a couple A-bolts ... triggers not quite as light as a very few available today, but still plenty nice! ... mine were sub-MOA with factory ammo! ... I've never heard otherwise, from other owners!

if ya like the rifle, I'd go ahead! ... ya can get a decent low power scope for under $100, then save up for something nicer!
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby Belgiboy on Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:40 pm

A-bolts are definitely nice rifles and I agree their triggers can be on the heavy and creepy side. But then again, you don't need a MOA rifle to hunt deer. I couldn't rationalize the trade you were proposing if it was me. On the other hand, never let rational arguments get in the way of getting the gun you want. The Browninf is definitely nicer than the S&W. I would advise against cheap glass. Natchez is running great deals on their Weaver Classic Extreme line or check eBay for a Nikon Monarch.
I have a Colt Python and you don't so what do I care...

Mom, Dad.... I'm Gaelic

http://www.zazzle.com/belgiboy/gifts
Belgiboy

Return to Long Guns