FN Herstal FNAR

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

FN Herstal FNAR

Postby Cadet on Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:43 pm

Im looking for a new "do all"(Coyote, deer, etc) rifle and I settled on .308 for my caliber. I was going to buy a Springfield M1A but I know that if I got one Id want to spend another 800 dollars on a Sage EBR stock and Ill have to get a scope so I just cant justify spending 2500-3000 dollars on a rifle. (same reason im not looking at .308 ARs like the new colt SP901) However I went out to Ahlmans in Morristown and subsequently to Cabelas in Owatonna and I stumbled across the FNAR... Id seen one before on the webs but have never handled one and dont know anyone whos shot one. FN claims there 1 MOA at 100 yards so it seems like a decent rifle. Anyone here own/have any experience with the rifle?
thanks
Shooting better than you since 1995.
Mossberg MVP Predator .223/Benelli R1 300 Win. Mag/Browning Maxus 12 Ga./S&W M&P AR15-22 Mall Ninja MOE Edition/Henry Golden Boy 22LR/Remington 870 Deluxe 20 GA.
Cadet

Re: FN Herstal FNAR

Postby Slayer_MN1 on Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:39 pm

they are great rifles of a tried and true design, essentially a "tactical" version of the browning BAR.
"From time to time the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants, and patriots."

Aquitas et Veritas
Slayer_MN1

Postby Pinnacle on Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:26 am

Guys seem to like them a lot. What I might do is to look for an older BAR in .308 and lose the "Tactical" pricing...
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby samginko on Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:36 pm

I have one, there is two for sale on armslist. If you bed the rail (some are loose), and using 168 FGMM, 1MOA was easy. I am working up a load, and some loads are touching at 200yds. I will post my load recipes when I am done (toddler at home, so not soon).

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Last edited by samginko on Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
samginko

Postby samginko on Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:40 pm

Forgot to add, FNAR is too heavy to be a "do all" rifle. At least for me, and I used to carry a M60 in the Marines.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
samginko

Postby rugersol on Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:49 pm

samginko wrote:Forgot to add, FNAR is too heavy to be a "do all" rifle. At least for me, and I used to carry a M60 in the Marines.

I had a BAR, and (scoped) I thought it was too heavy!

For an automatic, I'd go with an AR-15 in 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, 'er .300 BLK! ... go with a lighter contour bbl ... shorter/lighter handguard ... ya can get under 7 lbs! ... keep the scope under 16oz ... not horrible!

Otherwise, way too many nice bolt-actions (and a couple leverguns) for hunting!
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby rukwikenuf on Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:39 pm

the FN-AR is a nice rifle! however, like Slayer said, it's essentially a Browning BAR in tactical clothes. don't let that dissuade you though, FN makes most of (if not all of) Browning's rifles and pistolas. it's a good design, but as stated, it IS kinda heavy.

also, i heard recently that FN has ceased production on it, due to low sales. don't take this as gospel, but that's just what i heard. from an FN-AR owner none the less!

ETA: apparently it's the 20" variants http://fnforum.net/forums/fnar/25792-fn ... inued.html
saying that guns kill people is like saying that spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

if God wanted us to drink whiskey, he would have given us stomaches

I'm a little teapot...
rukwikenuf

Return to Long Guns