lookin' for SOFT recoil pad AR

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

lookin' for SOFT recoil pad AR

Postby LarryFlew on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:19 am

Since the surgery I can't have recoil for a while. Looking to make at least one of my guns very low recoil. Starting with a soft slip on recoil pad for an AR 15 with adjustable stock. Have tried the regular Tapco and tapco copies etc (BTW will have 3 for sale at $10 each).

Any suggestions?
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Re: lookin' for SOFT recoil pad AR

Postby shooter115 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:31 am

Do you have a good comp on the rifle? That will make more of a difference than any recoil pad. The DPMS Miculek and the Nordic Corvette comp are both effective and fairly inexpensive.
shooter115

Postby rugersol on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:53 am

Ya ... a good comp (+1 on the Nordic Corvette) will go a long ways!

... that 'n a strap-on, and yer GTG!

That said, IIRC, Magpul makes a "pad" to fit some of their stocks ... but I ain't sure if that's more of a "spacer", than it is "soft"?! :?
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby LarryFlew on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:07 am

shooter115 wrote:Do you have a good comp on the rifle? That will make more of a difference than any recoil pad. The DPMS Miculek and the Nordic Corvette comp are both effective and fairly inexpensive.

No, but have been looking. Problem is it's a stainless unthreaded bull barrel so trying to find set screw type in the right size has been a pita. Suggestions there would work too.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby rugersol on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:14 am

LarryFlew wrote:
shooter115 wrote:Do you have a good comp on the rifle? That will make more of a difference than any recoil pad. The DPMS Miculek and the Nordic Corvette comp are both effective and fairly inexpensive.

No, but have been looking. Problem is it's a stainless unthreaded bull barrel so trying to find set screw type in the right size has been a pita. Suggestions there would work too.

threading the bbl won't be cheap! ... not sure 'bout a "set screw type"?! :?

if yer ok rebuilding yer upper, I'd do a WTB fer a threaded bbl ... ya can always sell it again, later ... if ya like?!

otherwise, presuming it's .223, ya could pick up a new upper receiver fer $100ish ... bbl fer $150ish ... gas-block fer $25ish ... gas-tube fer $15ish ... Model-1 handguard fer $35 ... and, of course, the Corvette! ... use the BCG 'n latch from yer existing upper ... that's $325 plus the cost of whichever comp ya want! ... and again, if/when ya don't want it no more, ya could sell it fer not much less than that! ;)

if this is a longer-term thing, ya might do a WTS on yer bull bbl ... 'er the whole upper?! ... to generate funds!
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby Hmac on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:34 am

Consider a VLTOR A5 buffer system.
Hmac

Postby CarRacer on Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:06 pm

Yeah, Hmac has the best idea considering the barrel situation. The A5 is a rifle length buffer system that still allows collapsible stocks to mount. You don't need a new stock either, it just won't collapse fully but will still function 100%.
CarRacer

Postby Sigfan220 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:06 pm

I broke my collar bone twice. My AR is comped plus I have some black plumbing foam(the kind that slips over pipe) on the butt. Works great!! If you don't mind it looking like crap, give it a shot.

I don't need it so much in town. But out in South Dakota laying prone 300-500 round days, that goes hard on me. The second time the bone broke it kind of split and make a nice pointe. Laying prone drives the butt right into that bone, not good.
Sigfan220

Postby Hmac on Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:23 pm

CarRacer wrote:Yeah, Hmac has the best idea considering the barrel situation. The A5 is a rifle length buffer system that still allows collapsible stocks to mount. You don't need a new stock either, it just won't collapse fully but will still function 100%.

I have the A5 on my 16 inch Noveske midlength 16 inch barrel. That, plus a BattleComp compensator makes for a nice, soft-shooting rifle with a well smoothed-out recoil impulse. More due to the A5 buffer system rather than the compensator, I think. The compensator mostly helps with muzzle rise IMHO.
Hmac

Postby FJ540 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:27 pm

Larry, what's your barrel diameter? I'll make ya a clamp on brake.

As was mentioned, the pad for the Magpul CTR is pretty much just a little puck of hard rubber to make it not slip on the floor. It's not doing anything for creature comfort.
FJ540

Postby CarRacer on Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:52 pm

What about a drop in 22 conversion? Not quite the same but it'll get you trigger time.
CarRacer

Postby dsm2nr on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:29 pm

By far the best thing you can do is get an adjustable gas block. After that a brake or compensator. I agree the A5 will help (I have one) but depending on the gas system, you may need one of Vltors other buffers, etc. With an adjustable gas block, you only need to tune it once without any extra parts AND you won't get any of the harsh affects of a brake or comp. But you will get a much softer impulse, it's what the competition guys rely on. They can load puff loads and tune for it, making almost zero recoil.
dsm2nr

Postby dtapper2 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:02 am

I had an artificial ligament thrown into my shoulder in late May. I was shooting a handgun (with one hand) about 3 weeks after. I was shooting my .22 about 4-5 weeks after.

I shot one of my ARs shortly after that, but I did actually use a piece of pipe insulation on the stock. Like stated above, it's not pretty but works great for the price!!!

Don't get me started on my 870 with a 3" load...HammeredSquirrel watched it drop me to the ground 5 months after...
If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster.
dtapper2

Return to Long Guns