Henry Lever Action .22

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Henry Lever Action .22

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:01 am

Going to look at one after work. Been wanting to add another .22 rifle to the collection. I think this one would be fun to have. I miss having a lever gun in the collection since I traded my Rossi Rio Grande earlier this year. Does anyone own one here? How do you like it?
"Amateurs train until they get it right... Professionals train until they get it wrong"
PHATSPEED7x

Re: Henry Lever Action .22

Postby Shipyard on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:20 am

the henry's are nice and all, but i grew up with a marlin 39 in grandpa's gun safe that i shot non stop so i'm pretty partial to the marlins. henry's always seemed "sloppy" compared to a marlin to me. you get what you pay for.
i do what i can, where i'm needed, and i ask so little in return. i'm a true humanitarian fueled by rainbows and whiskey. you should be so lucky to know me...

Shipyard wrote:no kidding. that guy gets banned from here more than i quit this place :lol:
Shipyard

Postby oldbenwa on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:28 am

Hickock did a video on one a little while ago:

He seemed to like it.
oldbenwa

Postby Erik_Pakieser on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:30 am

I won a Golden Boy in a raffle, seems like a nice, well made gun. Haven't shot it yet.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
Fight-focused defensive handgun, rifle, and shotgun training
http://www.qsitraining.net
http://www.facebook.com/qsifirearms
Erik_Pakieser

Postby crinte on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:45 am

I bought the standard H001 model this spring when on sale. Fun as all can be to shoot and pretty darn accurate. Have had a couple feeding issues but found mostly to be from being to gentle with the action. otherwise eats everything i have feed it including shorts. I would recommend one
crinte

Postby Hmac on Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:21 pm

I have a Golden Boy in .17HMR. It's a good rifle. Pretty. The receiver is zamak. The wood is beautiful, the action is very smooth, pretty good ejection, but Henry's are known to be a little finicky if you try to run the lever too fast. I like the Golden Boy for style points and it hasn't disappointed me as a rifle from a functionality nor from an accuracy standpoint. If I weren't going to get a Golden Boy, I'd probably get a different brand lever action. Marlin would have been my choice a few years ago, but even the briefest review of their owners' forums indicates that quality has declined a lot and customer service is very, very bad. I'd probably opt for a Browning, more likely a Winchester.

One thing about the Golden Boy...the receiver cover isn't drilled nor grooved for a scope. You have to use a cantilever scope mount on the barrel which puts the scope up pretty high. Additionally, the drop at comb is greater than their other guns and most other lever actions. Therefore, you don't get a cheek weld, you get a chin weld. IOW, there's no good way to scope a Golden Boy. The non-Golden Boy rimfires do have a grooved receiver, but I'd be kind of put off by the concept of a gun based on a zamak (pot metal) receiver when I could spend the same money on one of more proven durability.
Hmac

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:51 pm

Went and looked at one on break at walmart. Seems like a nice gun. But was surprised walmart was kinda high on pricing. $297.00 they are asking... local fleet store has them for $274.00.

Sent from my DROIDX
"Amateurs train until they get it right... Professionals train until they get it wrong"
PHATSPEED7x

Postby ijosef on Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:57 pm

Great rifles and unbelievable customer service. I'd spend the extra cash and get the Golden Boy if I were you. I bought one for my Dad and it's a wonderful gun. The walnut on the stock puts other rifles in that bracket (and above) to shame. My only problem was with some chambering issues - it would smash the nose of the bullet when working the lever and sometimes jam it up. I reported the problem to Henry, and they put me in touch with Anthony Imperado, the president of the company. They sent me a prepaid shipping box and had me sent it back. Since I was sending it back for service, I asked if I could pay for them in install a large loop lever. I expected to pay the $40 for the part and maybe a bit for installation (they were going to take it apart anyway), but Mr. Imperado did it for NO CHARGE. I was floored. I got the rifle back two weeks later and it was like a new gun. It functions flawlessly and looks sharp.

I have their basic lever rifle (H0001) and while it's a decent little gun it's not as nice as the Golden Boy (nor as expensive).
ijosef

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:14 pm

ijosef wrote:Great rifles and unbelievable customer service. I'd spend the extra cash and get the Golden Boy if I were you. I bought one for my Dad and it's a wonderful gun. The walnut on the stock puts other rifles in that bracket (and above) to shame. My only problem was with some chambering issues - it would smash the nose of the bullet when working the lever and sometimes jam it up. I reported the problem to Henry, and they put me in touch with Anthony Imperado, the president of the company. They sent me a prepaid shipping box and had me sent it back. Since I was sending it back for service, I asked if I could pay for them in install a large loop lever. I expected to pay the $40 for the part and maybe a bit for installation (they were going to take it apart anyway), but Mr. Imperado did it for NO CHARGE. I was floored. I got the rifle back two weeks later and it was like a new gun. It functions flawlessly and looks sharp.

I have their basic lever rifle (H0001) and while it's a decent little gun it's not as nice as the Golden Boy (nor as expensive).

Wow! That's is really good news to hear! I'm going to do some more research tonight. Bank is being slow with my check deposit, so no purchase tonight. Tomorrow it may happen if I decide by then...
PHATSPEED7x

Postby Hmac on Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:55 pm

PHATSPEED7x wrote:

Wow! That's is really good news to hear! I'm going to do some more research tonight. Bank is being slow with my check deposit, so no purchase tonight. Tomorrow it may happen if I decide by then...

Consider investigating further at http://rimfirecentral.com . Lots of Henry user info over there, including posts from Anthony Imperato.
Hmac

Postby FJ540 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:55 pm

Hmac wrote:gun based on a zamak (pot metal) receiver

You might want to look into zamak a little more before you go bashing it. The stuff is TOUGH for how little it weighs! ;)
FJ540

Postby Hmac on Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:07 pm

FJ540 wrote:
Hmac wrote:gun based on a zamak (pot metal) receiver

You might want to look into zamak a little more before you go bashing it. The stuff is TOUGH for how little it weighs! ;)

Oh, I have. How much have you looked into it?

As to Zantac...fr example it's worth noting that many states (including Minnesota) prohibit pistols from being sold if the melting point of their frame is less than 1000 degrees (so-called "Saturday Night Specials).
That temp limit was chosen to eliminate Zamak 3, which has a melting point of 729 degrees, as a component of a firearm's frame...the reasoning being that if it's a pistol made from Zamak, it must be a cheap POS. If my Henry rifle was a pistol, it wouldn't be legal to sell in this state.

624.712 DEFINITIONS.

Subd. 4. Saturday night special pistol. "Saturday night special pistol" means a pistol other
than
an antique firearm or a pistol for which the propelling force is carbon dioxide, air or other
vapor, or children's pop guns or toys, having a frame, barrel, cylinder, slide or breechblock:
(1) of any material having a melting point (liquidus) of less than 1,000 degrees Fahrenheit, or
(2) of any material having an ultimate tensile strength of less than 55,000 pounds per
square inch, or
(3) of any powdered metal having a density of less than 7.5 grams per cubic centimeter.

I note that Zamak 3 meets NONE of those three requirements. The ultimate tensile strength of Zamak 3 is 38,000 PSI, the melting point is 729, and its density is 6.7 g/cc.

Some comparisons of Zamak 3 (which is the version that Henry Repeating Arms uses) to T6061 aluminum (note that an AR for example would be considered inferior if it were made from T6061):

Melting point 729 vs 1061
Hardness 97 vs 95 (Brinell)
Tensile Strength 268 vs 310 (MPa)

Zamak 3 is chosen as a component in order to hit a price point. It's easily cast. Can you name any other quality firearm, rimfire or otherwise, that's made from zamak?
Last edited by Hmac on Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hmac

Postby FJ540 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:39 pm

Many of the 1911 .22's are zamak. It has more beneficial qualities than what you seem to base your objections to, but since you're pretty much set that it's junk I won't bother explaining them.

If it was so craptacular, pillow block bearings wouldn't be made of the stuff almost exclusively when not cast of iron. It's tough. MN's melting point issue is an antiquated law we really should look to have tossed out.
FJ540

Postby Hmac on Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:22 pm

FJ540 wrote:Many of the 1911 .22's are zamak. It has more beneficial qualities than what you seem to base your objections to, but since you're pretty much set that it's junk I won't bother explaining them.

If it was so craptacular, pillow block bearings wouldn't be made of the stuff almost exclusively when not cast of iron. It's tough. MN's melting point issue is an antiquated law we really should look to have tossed out.

Well, I own a rifle that I like a lot that has a zamak receiver and I knew that when I bought it. But yeah..I have no illusions. Zamak is a half-assed firearms construction measure that's about price point, not quality. It's not the mark of a durable, high-quality firearm, and I suspect you know it. I didn't buy a Henry for its accuracy nor its quality, because frankly it doesn't measure up in those categories. I bought it because it's unique, it's pretty, and its fun to shoot. It hasn't disappointed me, but my expectations aren't particularly high for it.
Hmac

Postby ranger on Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:53 am

I’ve had my Henry H001 for 4-5 years and love it. Matter of fact, I’m thinking of getting another Henry, the Frontier Model H0001T, with the octagon barrel and Marble rear sight. The retail price is around $340 and has a grooved receiver for a scope.

http://www.henryrepeating.com/rifle-lever-octagon.cfm
NRA Life Member
US Army Retired
ranger

Next

Return to Long Guns