Christensen Arms CA-10

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Christensen Arms CA-10

Postby t140 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:34 pm

Picked up a Christensen CA-10 in .308 from Element Arms on black friday. I finally made it out with a friend to sight her in. Only had enough ammo for a couple tries to get a good group (used most of the ammo on his rifle). But I'm happy with what she does. I bought it with the intention of getting into benchrest and f-class.

This 3-9 Zeiss definitely isn't going to cut it past 200. :lol:

t140

Re: Christensen Arms CA-10

Postby FJ540 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:11 pm

Good looking gun!
FJ540

Postby CarRacer on Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:04 pm

A .308 would be a ton of fun. Just not sure what I would do with one, good luck with yours. What kind of coating is that?
CarRacer

Christensen Arms CA-10

Postby JoeH on Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:20 pm

Nice boom stick!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Joe
Not a Glock Certified Armorer
JoeH

Postby Geezer43 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:45 pm

SWEET!! :booyah:
"Thank God for guns, huh Jerry?" -- William Shatner on Boston Legal
"I'm a Politician, which means that I'm a cheat and a liar. When I'm not kissing babies, I'm stealing their lollipops." -- Red October
Geezer43

Postby t140 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:06 pm

Thanks, guys.

Carracer, it's nickel boron. I don't see much use for it, but I didn't have a choice.
t140

Postby rugersol on Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:30 am

Nicely done! Image
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby kollector03 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:15 am

Very nice lookin rifle you've got there and accurate as well.

I picked up an Armalite AR-10 on a whim and have been very impressed with the .308 AR platform.

Safe shooting.
kollector03

Postby rukwikenuf on Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:00 am

be advised, i've read multiple places that the carbon fiber bbls heat up quickly and when it's hot it'll lose some of it's accuracy. if you want a higher level of precision, don't let the bbl get hot

really cool guns though. i'm quite jealous.
saying that guns kill people is like saying that spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

if God wanted us to drink whiskey, he would have given us stomaches

I'm a little teapot...
rukwikenuf

Postby t140 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:53 pm

rukwikenuf wrote:be advised, i've read multiple places that the carbon fiber bbls heat up quickly and when it's hot it'll lose some of it's accuracy. if you want a higher level of precision, don't let the bbl get hot

really cool guns though. i'm quite jealous.

I've read that, too. My hope was that it would fill my precision long range itch. Usually that involves slow shooting. But I will test it out just to see what happens. Maybe dump a mag of M80 ball and try for a few groups with Federal Fusion. Surprisingly, it liked the 165gr Fusion better than 168 FGMM SMK.

Although if it can't keep it's accuracy together at long ranges, I'll have to move to something else. The friend I was with brought his AI AE in 24" .308 and I can't get it out of my head. :lol:
t140

Postby rukwikenuf on Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:23 am

t140 wrote: The friend I was with brought his AI AE in 24" .308 and I can't get it out of my head. :lol:

now THAT'S a long range precision gun! the CA-15 fills the need for a heavy caliber, light assault rifle. that's pretty much it's intended purpose. even the Christensen rifles aren't supposed to be precision rigs, but easy to carry hunting rigs. i've been dreaming of a Christensen Carbon Hunter in a magnum caliber. Bill's had one in 300 Win Mag, and i was amazed at how light it actually was. the trigger was great, it has a muzzle break from the factory, the recoil pad was soft, and this (the base model) comes in what i believe to be either a nice Bell and Carlson stock or possibly an HS Precision. probably B&C though. the full carbon stock model has to be insane!

however, the CA-15 you have is one helluva riffel. certainly one that i'd gladly bring with me into harm's way
saying that guns kill people is like saying that spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

I'm a little teapot...
rukwikenuf

Postby t140 on Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:27 pm

rukwikenuf wrote:
t140 wrote: The friend I was with brought his AI AE in 24" .308 and I can't get it out of my head. :lol:

now THAT'S a long range precision gun! the CA-15 fills the need for a heavy caliber, light assault rifle. that's pretty much it's intended purpose. even the Christensen rifles aren't supposed to be precision rigs, but easy to carry hunting rigs. i've been dreaming of a Christensen Carbon Hunter in a magnum caliber. Bill's had one in 300 Win Mag, and i was amazed at how light it actually was. the trigger was great, it has a muzzle break from the factory, the recoil pad was soft, and this (the base model) comes in what i believe to be either a nice Bell and Carlson stock or possibly an HS Precision. probably B&C though. the full carbon stock model has to be insane!

however, the CA-15 you have is one helluva riffel. certainly one that i'd gladly bring with me into harm's way

Now you know why all my good ammo went to his rifle. :D The CA-10's are made with Shilen barrels. I've heard that name tossed around with Krieger and Bartlein. So I think they had some kind of precision in mind. Even if it is at a slow rate of fire. The guys at Element said it was guaranteed to .5 MOA and that group measured .317" center to center. But the one good group I got from the AI was .442" at 200 yds, easily smoking the Christensen.

I agree that all of their hunting rifles look insane. I would love to carry one of those hunting. I'll be bringing my CA-10 out for deer next year and I'm sure I won't have any complaints.

Also got some new glass yesterday. It's a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50, MOA/MOA flavor.

t140

Postby rukwikenuf on Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:33 pm

that's the scope i'm hoping to put on my AR-15. is that the FFP or standard? i'm thinking that the standard would be good enough for my eye. sounds like you've got one swell rig going

I'm a little teapot...
rukwikenuf

Postby t140 on Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:19 pm

rukwikenuf wrote:that's the scope i'm hoping to put on my AR-15. is that the FFP or standard? i'm thinking that the standard would be good enough for my eye. sounds like you've got one swell rig going

FFP, It's all they had at Cabela's. I like having range estimating capability, though I'll probably not use it much. I also like that I can hold over easily without much thinking going on. This is kind of off for being a mostly F T/R & benchrest rifle, but it's definitely my style. I prefer to have the capability than wish I did.
t140

Postby plink on Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:33 pm

What's that thing weigh w/o the scope?
plink

Next

Return to Long Guns