Shopping for an AR today

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Shopping for an AR today

Postby CJB on Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:11 am

So I'm headed out today around lunch to buy an AR before it's too late. I had planned on checking out Arnzen Arms since I work down here anyway.

Any other places I should look that still has a good selection? I've heard they're flying off the shelves.

I was looking at the S&W M&P AR-15, but am open to suggestions from owners of other brands. I'll be using it mainly for range/target shooting.
CJB

Re: Shopping for an AR today

Postby CJB on Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:19 am

I see Cabela's has Windham Weaponry AR-15s on sale (with $10 of each purchase donated to paralyzed veterans)... Anyone own one of these? Reviews seem great.
CJB

Postby TommyMN on Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:42 am

Arnzen was dry Wednesday besides a camo remy. Gander across the road had some high priced used ones. Fleet farm had a few huldras.
TommyMN

Postby t140 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:45 am

Windham seriously sucks. They don't even use torque wrenches when they put in the barrel. Stay away from anything that doesn't have a good rep. Already.

However, good luck finding ANY AR. my buddy was in your shoes yesterday. He ended up getting a Huldra tactical and having to drive all over the place to get it. He got the last one they had in Carver and BP was cleaned out.
t140

Shopping for an AR today

Postby Npederse on Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:57 am

Arnzen and the Carver FleetFarm are both out as of last night (when I was looking)
Npederse

Postby bstrawse on Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:05 am

Friend of mine was in Bill's South last night - pretty minimal AR selection at the time.
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby rugersol on Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:10 am

t140 wrote:Windham seriously sucks. They don't even use torque wrenches when they put in the barrel.

If ya don't like how a bbl-nut's torqued, jest redo it! :roll:

Supposedly, Windham is the old Bushmaster guy, firin' up the old Bushmaster factory?! That said, I don't know that I'd pay a premium fer a Bushmaster?!

Drive around if ya like! ... saw a few Huldra's at Blaine Fleet Farm, Wednesday ... doubt they're still there?! ... I'd look online ... better use of time/money ... maybe slightly better odds ... although, big difference 'tween makin' a deal online, and actually takin' possession ... at the agreed upon price! :?

Not sure how long these'll last ... but here's some $160 stripped lowers nevermind ... I bought a bbl from this place ... seems like they're primarily in the boat business ... my bbl came basically phosphated in the bore ... but it cleaned up nice ... shoots good ... at this point, I'd order one of these (if I didn't already have a lower! 8-) )

Then again, good luck gettin' parts to finish it! :shock: ... hmmm ... actually! ... http://www.core15rifles.com/parts/lower-parts/internal-parts-kits/ :o

... how 'bout a .300 BLK pistol?! :mrgreen: ... http://www.core15rifles.com/core15-upper-receiver-100287.html ... http://www.core15rifles.com/95-300-blackout-barrel-1-7-100301.html (that's my bbl!)

... could be done! ... fer maybe 'nother 20 minutes?! Image

ETA: fergot the handguard! :oops: ... http://www.core15rifles.com/midwest-industries-gen-2-free-float-9-mid-length-handguard-1271.html (ya can always change it to .223 with a new bbl ... and a rifle, with a 16in bbl and a buttstock, at any point, down the road ... jest sayin')
Last edited by rugersol on Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby Thunder71 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:13 am

If you're up for a drive, Hart Brothers might have some left.

Postby Hmac on Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:24 am

CJB wrote:I see Cabela's has Windham Weaponry AR-15s on sale (with $10 of each purchase donated to paralyzed veterans)... Anyone own one of these? Reviews seem great.

Windham is just Bushmaster regurgitated by Richard Dyke after Cerberus closed the old Bushmaster factory. If you're looking for a a consumer-grade rifle to use for plinking and reliability isn't a high priority, Windham or Bushmaster should be OK for you.
Hmac

Postby Hmac on Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:28 am

t140 wrote:Windham seriously sucks. They don't even use torque wrenches when they put in the barrel. Stay away from anything that doesn't have a good rep. Already.

However, good luck finding ANY AR. my buddy was in your shoes yesterday. He ended up getting a Huldra tactical and having to drive all over the place to get it. He got the last one they had in Carver and BP was cleaned out.

My buddy picked up a couple of Huldras Wenesday at the Baxter store (Fleet Farm/Huldra ground zero). He bought the last rifle and for the second one had to buy the upper and lower separately...then that was it.

He told me the gun counter was about 3 people deep, and there were occasional episodes of harassment by the general shopping crowd.
Hmac

Postby Shipyard on Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:00 am

better call around first before you drive around and spend a lot of gas money on a heap of disappointment.

word on the street all storefronts within an hour of metro are dry. ar's are fetching roughly double of retail on armslist. if anyone's got one, i'm sure they have the fool sense to pull it and see what the market levels out at instead of giving it away for half what they could sell it on gun broker for. it's simple business. sucks to be you if you don't have one or have the money to get one.

i saw DPMS oracle's which were $700 all day long last week go for $1100 and $1200. and i don't mean asking price - they were sold for that. right quick i might add.

M&P's seem to be fetching $1400+

if you find one, be prepared to bend over if you want it. pretty slim odds right now.
i do what i can, where i'm needed, and i ask so little in return. i'm a true humanitarian fueled by rainbows and whiskey. you should be so lucky to know me...

Shipyard wrote:no kidding. that guy gets banned from here more than i quit this place :lol:
Shipyard

Postby CJB on Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:10 am

Thanks. I'll see what I can dig up. ;)
CJB

Postby user293 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:32 am

element arms in becker is pretty much wiped out from what ive heard. maybe a few high end ones left.
TommyMN wrote:This site is full of dicks. It's why I like it.
user293

Postby mrShinola on Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:44 am

I'm working my way back from the Black Hills, was going to stop by the two Cabelas in S.D. just to see whats available.
"Keep your booger hook off of the bang-bang switch"
mrShinola

Postby JJ on Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:48 am

mrShinola wrote:I'm working my way back from the Black Hills, was going to stop by the two Cabelas in S.D. just to see whats available.

If you are out in that neck of the woods, Kjergaard's in Lake Benton MN should be a stop.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Next

Return to Long Guns