DPMS LR308 Oracle ??'S

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

DPMS LR308 Oracle ??'S

Postby Irish.40 on Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:15 pm

Hey guys, its been a long time since I have posted on this site. I have recently purchased this AR and am interested in everyone's input for mods. This is a complete DPMS stock build. I have a Vortex Strikefire red dot installed. I am waiting for my single point mount, sling, Mako GL-Shock stock, and Magpul grip. I need to put on back up sights and a magnifier optic. I would like to hear your suggestions on both. As you can see it has a low profile gas block. I wouldn't be opposed to a quad rail but I have heard this handguard is a major pain to remove. Any tips or tricks would be great.
Thanks
AR10.JPG
Glock 23
Hornady JHP
Crossbreed Belt
Blackhawk Serpa Level II
"There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -James Madison
Irish.40

Re: DPMS LR308 Oracle ??'S

Postby grousemaster on Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:23 pm

You'll love it. DPMS makes a quality rifle....regardless of what some of the Colt snobs say ;)

With a rig like that, I'd put a scope on it though....long range is where the .308 earns it's keep
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby Irish.40 on Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:08 pm

grousemaster wrote:You'll love it. DPMS makes a quality rifle....regardless of what some of the Colt snobs say ;)

With a rig like that, I'd put a scope on it though....long range is where the .308 earns it's keep

I plan on it. This will be a dual purpose rifle. Off season it will be my kick ass gun. And on season it will be knocking down deer, bear and if I'm lucky-wolf. Any tips for parts compatibility with ar-15 stuff? I'm a bit confused as to what fits.
Glock 23
Hornady JHP
Crossbreed Belt
Blackhawk Serpa Level II
"There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -James Madison
Irish.40

Postby shooter115 on Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:14 pm

I would not plan on using a single point sling. They are uncomfortable on a 6 1/2lb AR-15 carbine. Using one on a .308 would totaly and utterly suck. Return them if you can and look at the Viking Tactics V-Tac 2 point sling, it's far more useful.

Oh and the HG is no big deal to take off, but full quad rails are way over-rated. I would suggest a round HG that you can add modular rail sections to if needed.
shooter115

Postby grousemaster on Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:23 pm

Irish.40 wrote:
grousemaster wrote:You'll love it. DPMS makes a quality rifle....regardless of what some of the Colt snobs say ;)

I plan on it. This will be a dual purpose rifle. Off season it will be my kick ass gun. And on season it will be knocking down deer, bear and if I'm lucky-wolf. Any tips for parts compatibility with ar-15 stuff? I'm a bit confused as to what fits.

You'll need AR-10 stuff...same basic design, just bigger :bravo:
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby promod1385 on Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:42 pm

A muzzle break is the first accessory I put on an AR. I like the Nordic Corvette Comp the most, it's loud but it makes the gun much faster to shoot as it controls muzzle rise very well.
promod1385

Postby old guy on Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:50 pm

promod1385 wrote:A muzzle break is the first accessory I put on an AR. I like the Nordic Corvette Comp the most, it's loud but it makes the gun much faster to shoot as it controls muzzle rise very well.

I also have one of those and it is the softest recoiling .308 I ever fired, mine is a 16" and yeah it's LOUD! I can hold rite around 1" 100 yd groups with Black Hills match 175s, many of these rifles do much better, I'm sure it's just Me.

John
old guy

Return to Long Guns