Timney trigger on a Mosin?

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Timney trigger on a Mosin?

Postby LumberZach on Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:58 am

Anyone have experience with one? They are a little spendy, but I really want to try one out. Any help is always appreciated.
LumberZach

Re: Timney trigger on a Mosin?

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:09 pm

Timney makes an excellent trigger, but why would you want to put a $100 trigger in a $100 rifle?
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:15 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:Timney makes an excellent trigger, but why would you want to put a $100 trigger in a $100 rifle?

Makes it a $200 rifle!
Holland&Holland

Postby JustPlainT on Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:29 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:Timney makes an excellent trigger, but why would you want to put a $100 trigger in a $100 rifle?

This is my feeling as well.

I honestly don't see a lot of purpose in putting money into Mosin rifles. The most I could ever see myself doing to one is a DIY duracoat type job or maybe a mount for a cheap-ish optic.
Midwest Defense Institute, LLC
Quality Training at an Affordable Cost
JustPlainT

Postby driztan on Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:43 pm

JustPlainT wrote:

This is my feeling as well.

I honestly don't see a lot of purpose in putting money into Mosin rifles. The most I could ever see myself doing to one is a DIY duracoat type job or maybe a mount for a cheap-ish optic.

I own multiple Mosins, and I absolutely love the rifles. they are far and away one of the most fun to shoot rifles I own.

However, I also could never put any money into them other than a duracoat, or If I came across an authentic WW2 optic the Ruskies used on them I would get it mounted. But those are 100's of dollars if not 1000's if they are in working order. So it is really a personal thing, not a practical thing.

Save the money and buy a new rifle, even if it is a cheaper make the technology after all is over 100 years newer.
driztan

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:30 pm

I dunno, I guess I disagree. If you have a mosin with a good barrel that seems to be a real shooter, why not improve thr trigger if ya want? Some very nice reworked Milsurps are out there.
Holland&Holland

Postby LumberZach on Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:34 pm

Well I have been looking into getting a real nice deer set up for a while and want a decent savage in .308. The more I look into this, the spendier it gets meanwhile I have a perfectly good mosin sitting in the closet that I don't shoot enough and I see the cheap ammo at fleet farm every time I am there. I am starting to toy with the idea of making a nice deer rifle for cheap that no one else will have. I agree with the argument why put $100 into a $100 rifle, but putting another 100 into this will be cheaper than buying a brand new .308. Not set on anything yet, but I think a new trigger would make for a fantastic shooter.
LumberZach

Postby driztan on Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:19 pm

I see your guys points.

I went down this path myself at one point. Here was my logic.

Mosin cost = $90.00 but lets say $100.00 for this.
Fitting mounts for the scope = Don't quote me but lets say $75.00
Scope = not sure what you requirements are so lets say $150.00
Trigger = $100.00

For the weapon and mount looking at $200.00 to $275.00 adding scope another $100.00 to $150.00.

Cost approx. $300.00 to $425.00 to give a range since I'm not quoting exact parts and cost.

I suppose you do already own the Mosin. If I was spending that much money I would put a lot of value in modern technology.

If you do get the Mosin dolled up I would love to see pictures!
driztan

RE: Timney trigger on a Mosin?

Postby gunforhire on Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:04 pm

Why re barrel a mosin for a mother bubba? Why spend 600 bucks on a longslide kit ,optic and duracoat for a 500.00 glock? I say do it man. If you have a good barrel and you enjoy shooting it, you have no reason not to aside from spending the same money on something else
"You're not tactical enough to view that video. Practice some rolls for a while, maybe dual wield an airsoft pistol and an Xacto knife, then try again."

~some arfcom user that deserves a beer or 8 from my fridge
gunforhire

Postby driztan on Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:24 pm

Not trying to influence your choice just sharing the logic as I see it. Each gun is differen't and the relationship the shooter has with the rifle is just as unique. I have a feeling you know what you want to do.

And please, pics!
driztan

Postby sgruenhagen44 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:43 pm

I say do it! I have long thought about buyin a mosin. I'm just not a rifle guy so I never wanted to spend a lot of dough on a nice one. They are accurate enough for deer huntin. Okay... save the ethical hunting comments here please. My buddy at work smoked a 200 Pound doe at about 75 yards in the head with one. In my mind an ethical kill is a quick kill regardless of where the shot placement was. But anyways.... he wanted to use and never got a good shot angle and sealed the deal!!!! Hell yea man put a trigger in it. I'm just like you... I like doin stuff other people don't or buyin things other people don't have.
sgruenhagen44

Postby driztan on Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:49 pm

sgruenhagen44 wrote:I say do it! I have long thought about buyin a mosin. I'm just not a rifle guy so I never wanted to spend a lot of dough on a nice one. They are accurate enough for deer huntin. Okay... save the ethical hunting comments here please. My buddy at work smoked a 200 Pound doe at about 75 yards in the head with one. In my mind an ethical kill is a quick kill regardless of where the shot placement was. But anyways.... he wanted to use and never got a good shot angle and sealed the deal!!!! Hell yea man put a trigger in it. I'm just like you... I like doin stuff other people don't or buyin things other people don't have.

My first Mosin, first time I shot her. We put an empty beer can on a fence post. I stood roughly 25 yards away from said beer can. I had soft point hunting ammo in them. I shot all 5 rounds and my buddy looks at me and goes, "man you are a terrible shot, you didn't hit the can once.". We go to the can and there are 5 holes in the can, few in the center and rest on the sides of the can. The can didn't move a mm.

The 7.62x54r is a very respectable round. Compare it to the .308 NATO. Big and fast. Very much a "mercy" round that I would use for hunting any day. You hit a white tail with one at 75 - 100 you will knock it on it's ass.
driztan

Postby Sammichman on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:45 am

Have you checked with Boyds to se if they make Trigger for a Mosin ,,they are about 40.00 bucks and work great
Sammichman

Postby LumberZach on Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:45 pm

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. I looked into boyds, and it doesn't look like they offer a Mosin trigger. I think I am going to go ahead with this project, and I will post up pics as soon as it is togther. Sadly, I am a poor college student and it is starting to look like it may take a little while to get this project together. I am excited to get this together and as long as I don't screw anything up I think this will be a reel cool project.
LumberZach

Postby engnerdan on Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:12 pm

I have one of these triggers sitting next to me on the kitchen table right now. It is amazing how much better the trigger is with it installed. Hell it is better the factory trigger on my Rem 700. Will you like the trigger when done, YES. Is it worth the $100? Well that is up to you. But I will say this one is nice.
Seismic Sam wrote:When it launches, the marketing will hit you in the face like the shrapnal from a methane explosion in a 3 holer outhouse!! :P :P :P
engnerdan

Next

Return to Long Guns