Tight mag well in CMMG lower

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Tight mag well in CMMG lower

Postby grousemaster on Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:03 am

I recently completed a build on a CMMG "blem" lower. Some of the pins were a pain in the butt to install, and I ended up having to "squeeze" down a couple roll pins to get them to fit. All is well with the lower parts kit installation, however, some mags don't drop free. P-mags are a no-go and certain brands of metal mags don't drop free. Any cures to this issue that any of you have had success with? It was an inexpensive lower that I don't plan on returning, but I am disappointed that CMMG sent out lowers that are not dimensionally correct.

File? Sand paper? Any insight would be helpful...
Last edited by grousemaster on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Re: Tight mag well in AR

Postby onebohemian on Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:19 am

Years back when S&W took in house its AR manufacturing (away from Stag), some of the first lowers it produced had this problem. Pmags wouldn't drop free due to their ribs, but GI metal mags were fine. Back then, there were folks on the net that were using metal files, finishing sandpaper, and reblue chemicals to open up the one side of the magwell that was rubbing on the mags. In those situations, it would have made more sense for the owners to file down the ribs on the pmags but to each their own. Your situation sounds much worse if you are having metal mags stick too. Can you see inside the mag well where exactly the magazines are sticking? Is it upside on the sides, or just toward the opening?
Mark

"Edited to remove prohibited content."(2009).

"It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it." (In honor of 'Goalie,' 2013).
onebohemian

Postby grousemaster on Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:27 am

onebohemian wrote:Years back when S&W took in house its AR manufacturing (away from Stag), some of the first lowers it produced had this problem. Pmags wouldn't drop free due to their ribs, but GI metal mags were fine. Back then, there were folks on the net that were using metal files, finishing sandpaper, and reblue chemicals to open up the one side of the magwell that was rubbing on the mags. In those situations, it would have made more sense for the owners to file down the ribs on the pmags but to each their own. Your situation sounds much worse if you are having metal mags stick too. Can you see inside the mag well where exactly the magazines are sticking? Is it upside on the sides, or just toward the opening?

Feels like it's getting the squeeze from all sides, but only slightly. All mags work, but some don't drop free. Certain brands have no issue dropping free (and I happen to have lots of mags that DO work fine in this lower)....I have no issue sanding it, but is removing the finish going to promote corrosion?
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby Hmac on Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:29 am

Sounds like an out-of-spec lower receiver...always a potential problem when buying firearms parts from lower-tier manufacturers. I'd start by contacting CMMG. If they won't step up, at least the gun is still functional. Magazines dropping free is nice, but a lot of carbine instructors recommend grabbing it and stripping it for a reload anyway.
Hmac

Postby grousemaster on Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:33 am

Hmac wrote:Sounds like an out-of-spec lower receiver...always a potential problem when buying firearms parts from lower-tier manufacturers. I'd start by contacting CMMG. If they won't step up, at least the gun is still functional. Magazines dropping free is nice, but a lot of carbine instructors recommend grabbing it and stripping it for a reload anyway.

Definitely out of spec, that was apparent 10 minutes into the build. However, it functions fine. Is CMMG really considered "lower tier"? Lower than DPMS? :D
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby Shawski on Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:43 am

Tight mag wells are a commonly reported problem with the CMMG blem lowers. I could think of a few other things that would be worse than just a tight mag well. I vote file or sand it a bit.
Shawski

Postby The Lance on Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:44 am

7075 T6 aluminum is not susceptible to corrosion as it has been chemically treated and equalized. Unless it comes into contact with acids or caustic chemicals.
I'm not down with the republican party, or the democratic party. I represent the MI6
The Lance

Postby Hmac on Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:44 am

grousemaster wrote:
Hmac wrote:Sounds like an out-of-spec lower receiver...always a potential problem when buying firearms parts from lower-tier manufacturers. I'd start by contacting CMMG. If they won't step up, at least the gun is still functional. Magazines dropping free is nice, but a lot of carbine instructors recommend grabbing it and stripping it for a reload anyway.

Definitely out of spec, that was apparent 10 minutes into the build. However, it functions fine. Is CMMG really considered "lower tier"? Lower than DPMS? :D

My opinion, I'd put them on par.
Hmac

Postby Inspiribomb on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:01 am

grousemaster wrote:I recently completed a build on a CMMG "blem" lower. Some of the pins were a pain in the butt to install, and I ended up having to "squeeze" down a couple roll pins to get them to fit. All is well with the lower parts kit installation, however, some mags don't drop free. P-mags are a no-go and certain brands of metal mags don't drop free. Any cures to this issue that any of you have had success with? It was an inexpensive lower that I don't plan on returning, but I am disappointed that CMMG sent out lowers that are not dimensionally correct.

File? Sand paper? Any insight would be helpful...

I too have a CMMG "blem" lower that I have yet to build up. I wil check my Pmags in the magwell when I get home tonight and report back...
Aaron
Inspiribomb

Postby Scoobyvroom on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:25 pm

7075 won't corrode, the surface with oxidize a bit. Best bet is to use 400 grit emery sandpaper. I use this all the time to lap the high spots off of hardcoated parts we produce. Wrap it around a flat piece of wood and go at it. Also depends on how much you need removed. Using the method above it will take a bit. Hardcoat is a funny thing, It likes to build up along edges.
Scoobyvroom

Postby FJ540 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:28 pm

Once you remove the anodizing, it will oxidize almost immediately. ;) That's not a bad thing either - it's what the anodizing was, but not as thick. Aluminum is sort of "self healing" in nature.

Type 3 should give you a .002 oxide layer per surface, so you can open it up a bit with some fine sand paper (wrap a tight mag with it) and potentially not break through it.
FJ540

Postby kerns bbo on Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:40 pm

I also built an ar out I'd a ccmg blem lower which was recently purchased. I ran into many assembly problems, as well as a very tight mag well. After 300 rounds or so either all my pmags or the well has loosened up and the mags slide in and out without problem.
kerns bbo

Postby sgruenhagen44 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:20 pm

Just a thought... ever think of trying to modify the mags? I know you said it was a cheap lower but USUALLY mags are cheaper to replace than a lower so yea. But that's just me, I'm always pretty fearful about altering my guns.
sgruenhagen44

Postby FJ540 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:39 pm

sgruenhagen44 wrote:Just a thought... ever think of trying to modify the mags? I know you said it was a cheap lower but USUALLY mags are cheaper to replace than a lower so yea. But that's just me, I'm always pretty fearful about altering my guns.

Chicken! :lol:
FJ540

Postby timwarner on Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:54 pm

magpul ETM mags?
Tim
USPSA club MN07
http://ipsc.krok.us
timwarner

Next

Return to Long Guns